The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Bilbo versus Waldo

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 27 2013, 6:51pm

Post #1 of 4 (5170 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo versus Waldo Can't Post

Bilbo has the invisibility ring, Waldo (aka Wally) has the choice of location.

Who wins in a hide-and-seek contest?

How well would a ringless Bilbo do in a rematch?

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Nov 27 2013, 7:00pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2013, 1:42am

Post #2 of 4 (5038 views)
Shortcut
Waldo [In reply to] Can't Post

because no one cares where he is, whereas Sauron would be onto Bilbo like white on rice if he ever got a sniff of the Ring.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 7 2013, 2:14am

Post #3 of 4 (4979 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo needs no Ring. [In reply to] Can't Post

Once while walking in a forest, I passed within a foot of a newborn fawn, so still it lay, so well camouflaged was it in the grass. If it had not leapt up and scampered off just as I passed, I would never have known it was there.

I believe hobbits to have the same skill in remaining unnoticed by "large stupid folk like you and me and Waldo".

Smile

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Dec 7 2013, 10:38pm

Post #4 of 4 (5092 views)
Shortcut
Nor does he need a clever illustrator! [In reply to] Can't Post

In real life, Waldo would be quite easy to find Smile

"When you think of the great Battle of Pelennor, do not forget the Battle of Dale. Think of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador! There might be no Queen in Gondor. We might now only hope to return from the victory here to ruin and ash. But that has been averted -- because I met Thorin Oakenshield one evening on the edge of spring not far from Bree. A chance-meeting, as we say in Middle-earth."
- Gandalf

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.