Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Well, I succeeded in doing a search here and didn't find a thread for this one: Total Film

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 5:04pm

Post #1 of 11 (994 views)
Shortcut
Well, I succeeded in doing a search here and didn't find a thread for this one: Total Film Can't Post

There's a six-page article about DoS in the January issue of Total Film (no large cover pic., though).

It includes that very nice picture of Thorin with Bilbo (with other Dwarf in background), which someone posted on here with a link to a few other pictures just today.

If someone has already posted this, admins please delete this post.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Nov 27 2013, 5:05pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 5:20pm

Post #2 of 11 (491 views)
Shortcut
Far too much focus on Legolas and Turiel in this one, mainly in the text [In reply to] Can't Post

As if Legolas is the main character or something (I hope this is not a sign of things to come). Feel like throwing away the magazine. Mad

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2013, 6:24pm

Post #3 of 11 (372 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't worry about it [In reply to] Can't Post

I've taken some marketing courses (I'm currently studying for a multidisciplinary degree and one of my focuses is on business marketing) and I'm confident that all the focus on Legolas and Tauriel is just an effort on the marketing department to catch the attention of non-fans and casual fans who want to see hot, kick-butt elves. Will they have an important role? Probably. PJ has stated that DOS will break up into multiple storylines in the same manner as TTT did, but I think L&T will be on the level of Merry and Pippin in their importance at the most. This thought is reinforced by the fact that T has the "Are we not part of this world?" line just like Merry did.

I saw someone ask at one point if it wouldn't be false advertising to advertise elves, elves, elves and then not have them be the main characters and my answer to that is, no it is not false advertising at all. False advertising would be if they said TH is about little green men from Mars and it turns out it's about Hobbits instead. They can use any characters they want for advertising as long as those characters are in the movie and they will emphasize in the marketing those characters that catch people's attention and get their posteriors in theater seats whether those characters are the main characters or not. As much as I love Bilbo and Thorin and Co., from a marketing perspective, they are not as exciting to non-fans as the elves are. The way I see it is that Bilbo/Thorin and Co. are the meat and potatoes of this meal and Legolas and Tauriel are the garnish that make it look pretty and make you want the meal before you've even taken a bite.

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 6:30pm

Post #4 of 11 (369 views)
Shortcut
Not all articles/interviews equal! [In reply to] Can't Post

Really liked the F*** magazine one (Armitage and Pace), there's another one that I need to find on my computer, and TORN's
RA interview was terrific (hope TORN can interview Lee Pace sometime!).

The ones I like best ask deeper questions and give the cast and crew time for thoughtful, detailed responses - OR are well-balanced with
lots of NEW pictures. Trying to stay positive re character balance in DOS - since, over the past weeks, there have been so many glorious
releases - banners, trailers, interviews e.g. lots of Thorin, lots of dwarves, lots of Bilbo, lots of Bard/Laketown, lots of Gandalf and Dol Guldur.
Even snippets of Smaug and Beorn and Tharanduil. Right now I'm in a state of happy anticipation (and the Thorin poster won the PR contest
in France - bwahhhhh - now where's the high-res version???)

Check when the article was actually done - seems like some of these mag interviews were done months ago, when it seemed like the only people
allowed to say anything were Bloom, Lily, and PJ & company - as tho there were an embargo or something. I won't forget actually holding my
breath when trailer 2 went live, dreading whether I'd be getting all irritated again - and then, *WOW* (now breathe, and replay).
And, whether I personally care or not, Legolas/Tauriel have fans who ARE happy to see them - but think PJ well knows he needs to walk a fine
line with the final product or risk alienating the very audience he gained with AUJ - and repeat viewers.

PS. IMO, sure, save what you like and recycle the rest

Malfinneth

Nov 27 2013, 6:33pm

Post #5 of 11 (343 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I know! While I admit I'm looking forwards to them very much, there is way to much focus on them, and it's starting to get annoying. Seriously, if we want to focus on minor characters, we need more Bard. There is hardly ANY information about him!
What about poor Bilbo? Though he has several awesome moments in the trailer, we hear hardly anything about him! He's the character that really developed the most in the book.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 6:53pm

Post #6 of 11 (329 views)
Shortcut
You are right about this, you know [In reply to] Can't Post

The interviews for this were done at the end of 2011.

And yes – I am reading the magazine for other things now, but it is not one that I will keep. Apart from the annoyances, the article does not actually say anything, unlike the F magazine one or that RA interview.

Let's hope it will all be OK…

In Reply To
Really liked the F*** magazine one (Armitage and Pace), there's another one that I need to find on my computer, and TORN's
RA interview was terrific (hope TORN can interview Lee Pace sometime!).

The ones I like best ask deeper questions and give the cast and crew time for thoughtful, detailed responses - OR are well-balanced with
lots of NEW pictures. Trying to stay positive re character balance in DOS - since, over the past weeks, there have been so many glorious
releases - banners, trailers, interviews e.g. lots of Thorin, lots of dwarves, lots of Bilbo, lots of Bard/Laketown, lots of Gandalf and Dol Guldur.
Even snippets of Smaug and Beorn and Tharanduil. Right now I'm in a state of happy anticipation (and the Thorin poster won the PR contest
in France - bwahhhhh - now where's the high-res version???)

Check when the article was actually done - seems like some of these mag interviews were done months ago, when it seemed like the only people
allowed to say anything were Bloom, Lily, and PJ & company - as tho there were an embargo or something. I won't forget actually holding my
breath when trailer 2 went live, dreading whether I'd be getting all irritated again - and then, *WOW* (now breathe, and replay).
And, whether I personally care or not, Legolas/Tauriel have fans who ARE happy to see them - but think PJ well knows he needs to walk a fine
line with the final product or risk alienating the very audience he gained with AUJ - and repeat viewers.

PS. IMO, sure, save what you like and recycle the rest

tolktolk
Lorien

Nov 27 2013, 8:16pm

Post #7 of 11 (259 views)
Shortcut
Sorry ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But you will know from your marketing courses that when you make a claim like that, you have to be able to back it up with facts. What evidence do you have that the elves are somehow more exciting than the original characters?

After all, AUJ made a billion dollars despite being almost entirely elfless.

It's certainly not the case in the UK, where most people wouldn't recognise Evangeline Lilly or Lee Pace, but they certainly do recognise Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Sylvester McCoy and various others.

There's a reason why Empire magazine's December issue focusing on DOS featured Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin and Bard on its covers.

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 8:25pm

Post #8 of 11 (256 views)
Shortcut
re major characters [In reply to] Can't Post

As been posted (whether it will actually happen re screen time) it seems Legolas and Tauriel have been put forth
as "major" characters - a concern on various levels. Tho in a way, possibly, it's a smart marketing move - re
the response in DOS, PJ & co. can ratchet the amount of time they show up in TABA - reminds me of the
Jar-Jar Binks debacle when his next appearance was severely curtailed (*note not saying T & L are on that
level, just that the audience response was listened to in that instance, a lot.)

Based on all the new images of Bilbo and Bard, and the Visual Companion, seems that Bard does have
an interesting story and think (along with Thranduil and Beorn) much will be revealed in the film itself - and some
stuff I think CAN'T really be shown in a general article, like the nuances of Bilbo's growth and relationship w.
Thorin and the dwarves.

So many little details I am looking forward to - like, does Bilbo follow Thorin and get a look
at the Elven King and realize they are all in a lot of trouble, that this is no kindly noble Elrond?
Is Bilbo disturbed by seeing "darker" elves, when he probably thought they were all gracious and wise?
When does Bard understand that these are the heirs of Durin? How do the dwarves get lost in
Mirkwood, when I am sure they were told to stay on the path? Can't wait, glad I am going to a double
feature so I have some "mental preparedness time!"

Bladerunner
Gondor

Nov 27 2013, 9:44pm

Post #9 of 11 (186 views)
Shortcut
I agree. I also think the magazines will emphasize certain aspects of the films they feel will sell more magazines or bring more web traffic.// [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Nov 27 2013, 9:46pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2013, 11:41pm

Post #10 of 11 (154 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps "more exciting than the dwarves" wasn't the best way to put it. Let's try just plain "exciting" and "new" [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear what you are saying and I offer you this: These elves in particular are newer than the dwarves (ergo they were not in the last movie) as well as being seemingly more dangerous and dark than the previous elves we have seen in AUJ. New + dangerous = exciting. The one elf who isn't new (Legolas) is still exciting to people because he was in the LotR series and, let's face it, a lot of people find him physically attractive. Continuing with that thought, people are also going to think, and many currently do think Thranduil and Tauriel are attractive as well. Attractive = exciting. All three characters are also to a certain extent ambiguous because we do not fully know what their motivations are and Thranduil at least is being set up as an antagonist. Ambiguous motivations + antagonist = exciting. All of these things together, with emphasis on the fact that they are new characters in this particular franchise equals marketing gold especially from Hollywood's perspective where quite a bit of of this elf-centric marketing is coming from.

Yes, maybe the elves are not "more exciting" than the dwarves but they are still attractive and dangerous and ambiguous and at least one of them is antagonistic and added to that they are shiny new characters so in the mind of marketers at least these things equal exciting. Every consumer, such as hard core Ringers may not agree with this but who ever said marketers are entirely in touch with their consumers?Tongue After all the marketers would be the ones who said "consumers want options" and produced like five or six different options for the Hobbit EE which confused people to the point of frustration.

To address your point about Empire, it sounds like Empire Magazine however is more in touch with the core fan base and realizes people can be just as excited by the other characters as well and has acted accordingly.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 28 2013, 12:10am

Post #11 of 11 (155 views)
Shortcut
Judging from Twitter and Facebook... [In reply to] Can't Post

... despite (very) few people raging about the inclusion of T & L, a huge majority there comments how excited they are, especially for Legolas' return.

So yes, I am sure it was a marketing decision and it seems a working one. Plus, some of these decisions seem not to have been made by WB or the filmmakers but the magazines themselves, and they usually know what the general audience might get excited about and what might be better left for the movie itself. Depending on how they work with the general audience, we will surely get many new stories from the new characters with the marketing for TABA. Bard/Luke Evans probably having the biggest shot at becoming an audience's favourite.

And some people act like we cannot see anything from the new characters... which is not really the case.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 28 2013, 12:13am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.