Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Spoiler: DOS Prologue

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Nov 27 2013, 4:01pm

Post #1 of 13 (1347 views)
Shortcut
Spoiler: DOS Prologue Can't Post

Every Rings film so far has had a spectacular opener, and I am sure DOS will be the same. I am doubting that Thorin drinking beer with Gandalf in Bree, as great of a scene as it will be I am sure, fits with the more showy stuff that PJ usually peppers the prologues with.

I am guessing a flashback during their conversation, which leads me to think of all of the possibilities here-

1. Azog, Necromancer stuff, as Thorin touches on Azog's defeat and how it tied into this family history as well as his family's loss.

2. Moria stuff. Balrog?

3. Thrain.

Thoughts?

Also, why in the world is one of the TV spots re-using footage from AUJ? (Moria battle) That makes very little sense...

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

haarp
Rivendell

Nov 27 2013, 4:06pm

Post #2 of 13 (677 views)
Shortcut
6 [In reply to] Can't Post

They have to explain to the audience who Thrain is, it will most definitely be Gandalf and Thorin in Bree discussing a battle and the last time Thrain was seen at Moria.

(This post was edited by haarp on Nov 27 2013, 4:07pm)

Fleuz
Lorien

Nov 27 2013, 4:16pm

Post #3 of 13 (638 views)
Shortcut
First dialogue... [In reply to] Can't Post

is "Give me another pint"

What if the beginning could show Gandalf receiving the key and the map from Thrain, but without any dialogue.
And the flashback fades back to Gandalf&Thorin in Bree with the opening-dialogue.

Not sure but it could work.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 4:35pm

Post #4 of 13 (619 views)
Shortcut
The DOS prologue is the Bree flashback. [In reply to] Can't Post

You can hear this in the first sample music track from DOS - it's clearly re-used Prancing Pony music from the FOTR score, after about 1:00 in.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 4:41pm

Post #5 of 13 (541 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

... But I think he suggests that during that scene there will be a flashback within the flashback.

All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 4:47pm

Post #6 of 13 (535 views)
Shortcut
No, the soundtrack suggest it's straight into Bree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we'll see Thorin and Gandalf meeting first.

Thorin explains the quest to Gandalf.

Gandalf starts talking about Thrain.

We flashback to Gandalf receiving the map and key

Thorin asks Gandalf what Thrain gave to him. Gandalf says he'll explain when the time is right.

Gandalf tells Thorin to meet him in Hobbitton "I'll leave a mark on the door, it should be easy to find"

Gandalf briefly describes Bilbo and we transition to Bilbo making his way down the Carrock and asking about the eagles.

And Title Smile

It may sound like a boring intro, but the flashback of Gandalf receiving the key should be really exciting stuff.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Nov 27 2013, 4:49pm)

nhui06
Rivendell

Nov 27 2013, 5:07pm

Post #7 of 13 (480 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if Thrain will be included in the conversation... [In reply to] Can't Post

Reason is because Balin said that no one knows what happened to Thrain during the Battle outside of Moria. If Gandalf recounts his encounter of Thrain to Thorin, wouldn't Thorin say something? It is his father after all. Also, wouldn't Thorin be looking for his father if Gandalf revealed that Thrain is alive?

Shagrat
Gondor

Nov 27 2013, 5:14pm

Post #8 of 13 (447 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin says "We did not know". It strikes me that he's talking about the situation at the time, and that since they may have found out what became of Thrain (or at least more information).

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 6:40pm

Post #9 of 13 (348 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think we'll see Thorin and Gandalf meeting first.

Thorin explains the quest to Gandalf.

Gandalf starts talking about Thrain.

We flashback to Gandalf receiving the map and key

Thorin asks Gandalf what Thrain gave to him. Gandalf says he'll explain when the time is right.

Gandalf tells Thorin to meet him in Hobbitton "I'll leave a mark on the door, it should be easy to find"

Gandalf briefly describes Bilbo and we transition to Bilbo making his way down the Carrock and asking about the eagles.

And Title Smile

I'd be very happy with a prologue like this Smile

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 28 2013, 1:55am

Post #10 of 13 (201 views)
Shortcut
I think, and hope, sense Thrain's finding in proper sequence is not any longer an [In reply to] Can't Post

option anyway, that this may be one of the flashback in flashback scenes we heard of, wherin it may start with a meeting in Bree, that pushes further back into Gandalf finding Thrain in Moria, and hastening out of there because... Balrog allusion. We shall see.

In Reply To
Every Rings film so far has had a spectacular opener, and I am sure DOS will be the same. I am doubting that Thorin drinking beer with Gandalf in Bree, as great of a scene as it will be I am sure, fits with the more showy stuff that PJ usually peppers the prologues with.

I am guessing a flashback during their conversation, which leads me to think of all of the possibilities here-

1. Azog, Necromancer stuff, as Thorin touches on Azog's defeat and how it tied into this family history as well as his family's loss.

2. Moria stuff. Balrog?

3. Thrain.

Thoughts?

Also, why in the world is one of the TV spots re-using footage from AUJ? (Moria battle) That makes very little sense...

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Ffnir
Rohan

Nov 28 2013, 2:21am

Post #11 of 13 (176 views)
Shortcut
Well Gandalf already say it in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

that the key was given to him by Thrain, implying that Thrain was alive after Azanulbizar

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2013, 5:41am

Post #12 of 13 (123 views)
Shortcut
This seems about right, [In reply to] Can't Post

thought I think we'll get a bit of the Necromancer in there somewhere, as the the flashback within the Bree flashback continues a bit further beyond Gandy's knowledge/recounting. Otherwise, agreed with this summary.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

nhui06
Rivendell

Nov 28 2013, 1:58pm

Post #13 of 13 (84 views)
Shortcut
Excellent point [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if it is a plot hole; why Thorin doesn't really seem to care about his father. I mean Gandalf mentions his father in that scene, and Thorin seems to care more about the key and map. Did Thrain and Thorin have a fall out?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.