The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
SCOD: I Cannot Give You What You Seek

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 11:59am

Post #1 of 8 (1560 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: I Cannot Give You What You Seek Can't Post

Welcome to the next Screencap of the Day.

Here are the images:

You can find the full-sized images here and here

As always, feel free to answer any/all the questions. Wink

1. What emotions can you see in their expressions?

2. How are these emotions conveyed in the blue-ish lighting?

3. Do you think Théoden told Éowyn that Aragorn was leaving due to the fact that she rushes towards him saying “Why are you doing this”?

4. What are your opinions on the music?

5. Any other thoughts/comments about this scene?

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

(This post was edited by FaramirAndEowynMorningStar on Nov 27 2013, 12:01pm)

Phantom
The Shire

Nov 28 2013, 12:22am

Post #2 of 8 (1421 views)
Shortcut
My take... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Aragorn has about a million things on his mind, not the least of which is this new challenge to try and command the Dead Army. Eowyn on the other hand is torn up inside, first because Aragorn is leaving and second since he basically said he's not the one she should be with.

2. Blue filters in the cameras usually convey a somber/sad/dark mood, plus it's supposed to show the nighttime/moonlight, etc.

3. Yes, I think she knew he was leaving. Maybe not to WHERE, but certainly that he wasn't staying with the Rohirrim.

4. Music, as was the case throughout all 3 films, was excellent and appropriate.

5. I always wished there was a bit more clarity from Aragorn to Eowyn, for the sake of why he was leaving. For all she knew, he could've just been leaving out of fear or having a massive change of heart about going to fight. Perhaps he could've hinted that he was going to seek for further help, though that might've prompted her to come with him---so maybe that's why he kept quiet.

And what do trees have to talk about? Hmm...except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Rohan

Dec 1 2013, 11:50pm

Post #3 of 8 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Great responce there, Phantom. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. Wink

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 2 2013, 4:15pm

Post #4 of 8 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Would pity be the right word to describe Aragorn's look here? [In reply to] Can't Post

I see something like a mixture between pity and confusion. Here's the woman who's been effectively holding Rohan together all these long years and she's looking to him to help them now. He must know how tired the Rohan people are right now. How worn out they've become trying to hold the country together with Theoden trapped under the spell. Eowyn is practically begging Aragorn to stay and be a hero for their people. But he knows that he can't. And unwittingly he sort of passes that role on to Eowyn here, doesn't he?

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Rohan

Dec 3 2013, 8:07pm

Post #5 of 8 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Pity is a perfect word to describe his expression. [In reply to] Can't Post

Great response. Wink
I think Eowyn must have gotten that role from Aragorn. Smile

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Dec 6 2013, 1:10pm

Post #6 of 8 (1291 views)
Shortcut
A Very Moving Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What emotions can you see in their expressions?
I think both of them are grieved in these images; Éowyn, because she just received the answer she was not expecting and for her it is a heavy blow to all her hopes, while Aragorn is grieved because he just caused that pain. It actually reminds me of the scene in the book when he leaves.

...and only those who knew him well and were near to him saw the pain that he bore.

This moment from the book I think is captured beautifully in the screencap of Aragorn.
In the film it is the viewer who witnesses this scene and knows his character. As the audience we sympathise with him and understand his reasons and motives better than Éowyn does.

2. How are these emotions conveyed in the blue-ish lighting?
Blue is usually a calm colour. It can symbolise loyalty which here can be represented in Aragorn. He will remain loyal to Arwen, his ancestry, his promise to Boromir and even loyal to Rohan in his leaving, even if it doesn’t appear that way to Éowyn and the other soldiers because his leaving is to fetch the remaining army yet to take part in the fight that will tip the balance in favour of the Free People of Middle-Earth.
The blue lighting can also be looked at from another point of view. The blue lighting comes from the fact that the scene takes place at night. Night can sometimes be used to symbolise endings since it represents the end of day while dawn represents new beginnings. For Éowyn this moment represents the closing of her hopes and dreams that she has had since she first formed a friendship with Aragorn. It is a very moving moment and the lighting really adds to the emotions Éowyn feels.

3. Do you think Théoden told Éowyn that Aragorn was leaving due to the fact that she rushes towards him saying “Why are you doing this”?
I think she certainly had been informed he was leaving possibly by Theoden. She may not have known where in which case she would have thought Aragorn a deserter. However I wonder if Elrond told Theoden in the previous scene where Aragorn should go and therefore Theoden then told Éowyn so that like in the book she does know where he is going. If this was the case then I think her plea to him not to go stems from the fear all the people of Rohan have for the way into the mountain since ‘none who have ventured there have ever returned’ to quote Éomer. She fears he will, like all the others before him, not return and that fear is all the greater because she loves him.

4. What are your opinions on the music?
The music for this scene really captures the emotions of these two characters in this moment. I really like the sound of the double fiddle played in this scene. Its sound perfectly echoes Éowyn’s sorrow. The music theme of Aragorn and Éowyn is such a lovely melody.
The melody itself is described in The Music of the Lord of the Rings as having an almost pleading tone to it.

5. Any other thoughts/comments about this scene?
I like the extended version where Aragorn says to Éowyn ‘I have wished you joy since first I saw you.’ That was a nice nod to the book.
This scene the previous scene and the scene to follow really are about hope and despair. Different characters have moments when they despair and somehow they need to find the strength and hope to overcome it. These scenes are about losing what they had and preparing for a change. I think most of the characters are aware that after that night and after the battle to come the world will be changed whatever the outcome. This night at Dunharrow is Rohan’s ‘deep breath before the plunge.’

Great questions MorningStar Smile

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

Rohan

Dec 6 2013, 2:13pm

Post #7 of 8 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Really amazing analysis, Silwen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your posts of the symbolic side of the movie and backing it up with quotes never cease to amaze me.

I totally agree with you on the idea of the loyalty and the idea that night is to do with the ending of a day and the sun is the start of another, where Eowyn can make a new choice. Wink

Thanks for commenting.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2013, 10:49pm

Post #8 of 8 (1268 views)
Shortcut
My only comments... [In reply to] Can't Post

would be that 1. I took a deep sign of relief after all the chasing (and sad eyes) from this woman I had seen and 2. I took a second sign of relief that Aragorn finally got back to his senses, sadly only after he was told Arwen was dying.

P.S. She knew he was leaving. But she also knew he was wearing a jewel given to him by another. It didn't change her behaviour. I doubt the leaving would have stopped her from jumping on his horse either if he hadn't finally rejected her.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

My rambling on travelling, good life, food, wine and other pleasures

I believe

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.