Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
After Daniel Craig, can you see Richard Armitage as Bond?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2013, 11:48pm

Post #1 of 39 (324 views)
Shortcut
After Daniel Craig, can you see Richard Armitage as Bond? Can't Post

It seems he would make a good Bond with his looks,
voice and cool, calm demeanor.

What say you?

Old Toby
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 3:57am

Post #2 of 39 (211 views)
Shortcut
Apparently RA was one of the potential Bonds [In reply to] Can't Post

for the upcoming film. Sadly (IMO) he didn't make it. I think he would have made a spectacular Bond! He's handsome, can do action scenes as well as everything from Heart-stoppingly Romantic to Icy Nasty, has an terrific voice, and is, well, British. Honestly, I can't imagine why he wasn't chosen.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 4:26am

Post #3 of 39 (207 views)
Shortcut
Well, Craig is locked in for two more Bond films so there is [In reply to] Can't Post

a possibility in maybe 6-8 years.

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 5:30am

Post #4 of 39 (200 views)
Shortcut
I do think so [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It seems he would make a good Bond with his looks,
voice and cool, calm demeanor.

What say you?

He has what it takes, no question.

The second TORn Amateur Symposium is running right now, in the Reading Room. Come have a look and maybe stay to chat!

Kim
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 6:25am

Post #5 of 39 (200 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to see that! And he definitely has the skills to play a suave spy, as well as one with more of an edge. And he looks great in a tux. Wink

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 2:57pm

Post #6 of 39 (180 views)
Shortcut
Just from the looks, I would have preferred him over DC. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not because of attractiveness, but I always felt that DC's take on the role was more Bourn-ish... not Bond.

I actually think that Skyfall was mainly good despite DC's portrayal... not because of it.

However, RA should think about it carefully if he hypotheically gets the chance, depending on other offers.

Bond can stick to you for decades to come...

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 26 2013, 2:58pm)

glor
Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 4:31pm

Post #7 of 39 (174 views)
Shortcut
RA's name has been mentioned in the past relating to Bond.. [In reply to] Can't Post

..on more than one occassion. I think once it came up briefly as a tabloid rumour for what was to become Skyfall. I believe that rumour was based on the fact that someone had seen him at Warners Brothers HQ in 2010, I mean what else could he have been there for Wink

(This post was edited by glor on Nov 26 2013, 4:32pm)

Old Toby
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 4:49pm

Post #8 of 39 (168 views)
Shortcut
Yes I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally never liked DC's Bond. Somehow his characterization never grabbed me like some of his predecessors' interpretations. And oh yeah, getting the Bond role would definitely brand RA for a long, long time. On the other hand, I would hate to see him sink into film oblivion, as so many do. Hollywood is so fickle, and I think he's a better actor than most in that action genre. I'd hate to see him stuck in that type-cast niche though, and hope he gets some juicy offers from his role in the Hobbit films (not that he didn't deserve them before the Hobbit films). I'd love to see him go back to classical stage.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 4:50pm

Post #9 of 39 (161 views)
Shortcut
absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

for one thing, Bond ought to have dark hair. And RA fits the bill in every other way.

I agree that Craig is more "Bourne"-ish than Bond-ish.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 6:02pm

Post #10 of 39 (154 views)
Shortcut
Yes- and he has that certain quirk of the eyebrow as well!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 6:14pm

Post #11 of 39 (156 views)
Shortcut
I agree with all here Old Toby [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I personally never liked DC's Bond. Somehow his characterization never grabbed me like some of his predecessors' interpretations. And oh yeah, getting the Bond role would definitely brand RA for a long, long time. On the other hand, I would hate to see him sink into film oblivion, as so many do. Hollywood is so fickle, and I think he's a better actor than most in that action genre. I'd hate to see him stuck in that type-cast niche though, and hope he gets some juicy offers from his role in the Hobbit films (not that he didn't deserve them before the Hobbit films). I'd love to see him go back to classical stage.

I would hope him to get the renown and career stability that he so deserves, but yes I would also hate to see him typecast or branded. He would bring so much to the role - like that touch of real darkness that Bond started out with, like back in Dr. No. - but then I think that he is so much better suited to use those skills on the stage, or in more developed roles.

The second TORn Amateur Symposium is running right now, in the Reading Room. Come have a look and maybe stay to chat!

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2013, 6:34pm

Post #12 of 39 (157 views)
Shortcut
I think he could be a great Bond... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I'd rather he did something else. I think he could play the Bond of the books (which I think is closer to DC's version in script and performance) than the bond of the mid to late Sean Connery days. The ladies man took over the characterization too much. Bond is a 00 - License to Kill is real. He's supposed to be a ruthless killer who is dead inside because of the loss of his love. (Fleming was said to have gone through something similar, which is interesting.)

What I would love is a director with real classical training to get RA and a few of the other greats out there in BBC Drama land and do all the Shakespeare plays, like they would have done in his time. A troupe of players. Oh that would be glorious!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 6:45pm

Post #13 of 39 (151 views)
Shortcut
Hear hear!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

What I would love is a director with real classical training to get RA and a few of the other greats out there in BBC Drama land and do all the Shakespeare plays, like they would have done in his time. A troupe of players. Oh that would be glorious!

Oh yes.
And part of the wish-list is a long NY run. Thank you, Santa. Wink

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 6:47pm

Post #14 of 39 (145 views)
Shortcut
No, No! The Globe Theatre, London!!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 6:48pm

Post #15 of 39 (145 views)
Shortcut
OK: both. [In reply to] Can't Post

London run I'll fly to you and we'll go, NY you fly here.

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 6:49pm

Post #16 of 39 (138 views)
Shortcut
It's a deal!!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 6:54pm

Post #17 of 39 (143 views)
Shortcut
Hooray! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's hoping Mr. Armitage is lurking...

(*Settles in to wait for announcement of tour*)

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 7:23pm

Post #18 of 39 (138 views)
Shortcut
I believe RA has stated in some past interview [In reply to] Can't Post

When the subject of taking on Bond was brought up to him that he would be far more interested in playing a Bond villain than 007 himself. And I can see why. Also, he likes new challenges and Janes Bond may simple be too Spookish to appeal to him. Wink

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 7:47pm

Post #19 of 39 (147 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile He's be amazing! I could just picture him saying "My name is Bond. James Bond..." in that deep masculine voice.

Someone on DeviantArt even made a banner for him as James Bond: link

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Old Toby
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 7:59pm

Post #20 of 39 (130 views)
Shortcut
OMG Dame Ioreth! [In reply to] Can't Post

"What I would love is a director with real classical training to get RA and a few of the other greats out there in BBC Drama land and do all the Shakespeare plays, like they would have done in his time. A troupe of players. Oh that would be glorious!"

This would be so exciting for me that just the thought of it brought tears to my eyes!!! Gah!!!

Old Toby
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 8:02pm

Post #21 of 39 (126 views)
Shortcut
Wow!!! ....just....WOW!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

TongueHeart

Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 8:03pm

Post #22 of 39 (117 views)
Shortcut
Exactly my same thoughts when I saw it.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 8:19pm

Post #23 of 39 (120 views)
Shortcut
Oh my..... * fans self* [In reply to] Can't Post

ShockedBe still my beating heart!!! Wow, that is a very er.... potent image!! Thanks for posting the link EAFMS!!Angelic

Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 8:32pm

Post #24 of 39 (118 views)
Shortcut
I know right?! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you're welcome. Wink

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 8:50pm

Post #25 of 39 (115 views)
Shortcut
I'm not a Bond fan. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I wouldn't watch it anyway. Not even for Richard Armitage. Sorry.

But I don't see why he couldn't be a smooth, suave spy.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.