Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Extended Edition questions (where to buy and would you buy it?)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 3:30am

Post #1 of 19 (630 views)
Shortcut
Extended Edition questions (where to buy and would you buy it?) Can't Post

Hey there - I don't spend much time on this board, but searching back I don't see any obvious answers. So here are two questions:

1) Does anyone know where to get a USA version of the DVD? I don't see any currently available online at any of the usual suspects (Amazon, Target, Kmart, Walmart, etc) and my local Target seemed to know nothing about it.

2) If you already own the theatrical version and then bought the extended edition, do you feel like the extra 13 minutes of movie were worth the expense even if you don't really care about the extras? I realize this question could start a flame war, so please, only really a yes or no is needed.

Thanks much!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 26 2013, 4:00am

Post #2 of 19 (371 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, it seems most places are out of the 5 DVD edition... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but you could get it from the Warner Bros shop.

I also got an automated email from Amazon UK that the 5 DVD UK edition (with a UK region code I expect) is going to be part of their Black Friday deals. Even without a deal, you can get it for about 27 USD including shipping to US.

The one at the Warner Bros store can be got for about 23 USD with shipping. SO not much difference. And the UK one is definitely (imo) a better package.

Hope all that helps.

And to answer your second question, yes, I think the extended edition is worth it. I haven't seen it, nor the appendices, but I think 13 minutes is quite a lot (even though it seems less compared to FOTR's 30 or so minutes), and the appendices of course are beyond price Smile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

super_jj
The Shire

Nov 26 2013, 4:05am

Post #3 of 19 (360 views)
Shortcut
The bonus features alone [In reply to] Can't Post

were worth the price for me. I am an extra features junkie though...I think I watch the features more on the LOTR EEs then I do the actual movies. Though if I remember right when out shopping for it the plain DVD version does not have all the bonus features but just the NZ as Middle Earth one that was on the other DVDs and the extended edition of the movie.
As far as the movie being worth the money...I'd say yes. I really enjoyed the extra bits throughout whether they were short or long.
Not sure if this will help you out or not but this buyers guide was posted awhile back showing what each version has and where to find it.
http://www.theonering.net/...-unexpected-journey/

Ranger
The Shire

Nov 26 2013, 5:26am

Post #4 of 19 (334 views)
Shortcut
Not worth the full price! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) I cannot help.

2) I only consider two scenes as fantastic editions to the movie: a discussion of Thorin's heritage between Elrond and Gandalf, as well as an extension of the White Council meeting.

In my opinion, these favourable moments are almost overshadowed by more dwarven stupidity, nudity and general portrayal of their lack of dignity, as well as a cringe-worthy song by the great goblin. When I watched the extended cut with my wife (a huge fan of the movies in general), she was almost upset and disbelieving why anybody would add this scene, in which the goblin behaves like a rock-star. It is so utterly out of place (like the whole gravity-defiying sequence of the goblin caves, actually), that watching it with casual Tolkien fans makes you feel downright embarrassed.

So my recommendation: Watch the scenes on Youtube and safe your money at least until you find the extended cut at a discounted price.

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 26 2013, 6:08am

Post #5 of 19 (315 views)
Shortcut
I like the appendices even more than the movies! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've enjoyed all the LotR/Hobbit movies so far (and have watched them each many times), but I *love* the appendices, which come with the extended editions. Those, to me, are A+ quality documentaries.

The consensus, which I agree with, is that the Hobbit appendices are just good, perhaps even better, than the LotR ones. And that's a huge accomplishment, given that the LotR appendices set a standard that was never been surpassed in that past 10+ years.

So I completely agree with the "bonus features worth the price of admission alone" statement. I've had the disc about a week now, and have been watching the appendices, going slowly so I can savour every episode, and have not yet watched the extended movie itself. The movie is almost an afterthought, something to watch with the kids!

For me, the appendices are the main course and the movies are the appetizers!

Both are tasty, but in order to get the full meal, you have to get the extended edition!

(This post was edited by tripecac on Nov 26 2013, 6:14am)

smaug the stupendous
The Shire

Nov 26 2013, 6:59am

Post #6 of 19 (304 views)
Shortcut
1) no 2) YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

The extra scenes are worth it

Anduinel
The Shire

Nov 26 2013, 7:15am

Post #7 of 19 (299 views)
Shortcut
The extended scenes? No. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the extended scenes were worth the money -- there was one scene in Rivendell that really should have been part of the original release, and the rest ranged from inoffensive to puerile. (Seriously, do not get me started on the Lonely Mountain and party-in-Rivendell stuff...)

The behind-the-scenes material, though, that's definitely worth it. Lovely stuff.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 9:06am

Post #8 of 19 (271 views)
Shortcut
Yes I would, and did, and am currently enjoying it... [In reply to] Can't Post

As for where, I'm not in the USA, but I think Earl answered that one

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 9:34am

Post #9 of 19 (250 views)
Shortcut
Hm... [In reply to] Can't Post

... if you do not care about the extras this is hard to answer.

I found the EE scenes made AUJ a better movie for all the Rivendell stuff.

I also like the song of the great Goblin and do not find the dwarves are protrayed with not enough dignity because of their feast at Rivendell or the bathing.

I as a die-hard Tolkien fan was certainly not embarrassed to wach that scenes with others, casual fans or not.

But your opinion about the whole thing will probably depend on whether you like those additions or whether you are more on the side of those who don't.

You can always check yt and decide whether you would like them together with the full movie in one go.

But the big plus of the EEs will always remain the extras, of course.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 26 2013, 9:35am)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 1:17pm

Post #10 of 19 (206 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, thanks, Earl! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never would have thought to check there. No chance to get it here by the Thanksgiving weekend, but at least it is a place to buy it.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 1:19pm

Post #11 of 19 (214 views)
Shortcut
It is absolutely worth it for the Appendices alone [In reply to] Can't Post

They are riveting and wondrous to behold. There is more than nine hours to see, all intelligently presented with humour and enthusiasm – they really show how PJ, the cast and crew worked together, and the level of creativity that went into the film. There's footage of auditions with the cast, commentary by cast members, training, costumes, construction of the sets, how PJ finally decided direct the film and why, how the acting in the scenes was created, and much more. Appendix 7 goes through the film in chronological order, leaving out certain scenes, which may have been saved for the DoS EE. I've watched the Appendices once already, and am tempted to watch them again. (I am not usually interested in 'extras' that come with DVDs, but these are really special.)

I watched the EE film the other day, after having watched the Appendices. The extra scenes were OK, but didn't add much meat to the film – and I found the tomfoolery in Rivendell a bit annoying and unnecessary. Would have much preferred the longer scene between Thorin and Bilbo, which was apparently shot…

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Nov 26 2013, 1:26pm)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 1:22pm

Post #12 of 19 (216 views)
Shortcut
Thanks everyone so far - also Amazon Prime has movie only for $9.99 [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate all of your input - have to say I'm not sure yet whether to buy or not, but starting to lean towards not.

Also, as I note in the subject line - if you're like me and only want the movie, Amazon Prime has it for $10 if you're willing to buy it streaming.

Notta

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 5:57pm

Post #13 of 19 (168 views)
Shortcut
There's a reason why it's a disappointment... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I appreciate all of your input - have to say I'm not sure yet whether to buy or not, but starting to lean towards not.

As most have said, the EE of AUJ really is quite underwhelming, particularly if you're not that interested in the Behind-the-Scenes documentaries and (even more particularly) considering the auspicious EEs that preceded it.

The problem, essentially, is that the decision to trilogise the tale meant that Jackson had to go back and re-insert lots of material into the early part of the story in order to give his film an appropriately epic running time...and he re-inserted too much, meaning there wasn't a great deal left to add for the EE.

Had he (or his Editor) shown more self-restraint, we may have had an EE that introduced for the first time the Bullroarer talk; the "You don't need to do this, laddie" talk; the Misty Mountains song; the betting on whether Bilbo would show up etc etc. Instead, all of those were in the Theatrical Edition and there were some pretty poor pickings left for the actual EE...

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

fingolfin_nc
Bree

Nov 26 2013, 5:59pm

Post #14 of 19 (154 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

to the answer as to whether it is worth it or not, but to me the more Middle Earth the better, so... I bought the 5 disk and am going through it slowly now.

As to the where to buy, I searched high and low at all of the usual suspects too and came up short then applied some Google-Fu to it and found it locally at Barnes and Noble.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 7:57pm

Post #15 of 19 (130 views)
Shortcut
Interesting and very valid-sounding point. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Nov 27 2013, 1:01am

Post #16 of 19 (100 views)
Shortcut
I second what Arannir says... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the little additions alone made it a better movie, not sure why they were cut.

The longer dwarve and goblin king bits are a matter of personal taste- you like them or you don't.

If I could only afford one version of the film, this would be an easy choice over the theatrical version.

Me - I pre-ordered the 5-disc set from Amazon and had it day one; haven't regretted it at all. Even ordered one for my grown daughter, sight un-seen. Consider though that I have been a hard-core Tolkien fan since '65 & that colors my attitude.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2013, 3:22pm

Post #17 of 19 (67 views)
Shortcut
Kind of a toss-up, really. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If you already own the TE and then bought the EE, do you feel like the extra 13 minutes of movie were worth the expense even if you don't really care about the extras?

The good new scenes (the Hobbiton/Bag End stuff, the Bilbo and White Council stuff in Rivendell) do make the movie better, giving it some much needed breathing room and respite from the bombast of all the OTT action. But the bad new stuff (the Dwarves' food fighting/flirting with elves/playing grab-ass in the fountain, the Great Goblin's song) are pretty terrible, in my opinion.

The EE is probably the version i will watch from now on because the new material does improve the film a bit, making it a slightly deeper experience. But it does not change my overall opinion of AUJ as being a decent but far from great film, a substantial step down from LotR.

If you liked the humor and action of the TE, you'll love the EE. If you had problems with that stuff in the TE, you'll have those same issues with the EE.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Nov 27 2013, 3:29pm)

kiwifan
Rohan

Nov 28 2013, 9:45pm

Post #18 of 19 (46 views)
Shortcut
But would it play on a dvd player in the US? [In reply to] Can't Post

UK dvds are region 2, like most of Europe whereas North America is region 1. Does your dvd player play both? Mine doesn't. Or are you talking about blu-rays?

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

(This post was edited by kiwifan on Nov 28 2013, 9:50pm)

kiwifan
Rohan

Nov 28 2013, 10:09pm

Post #19 of 19 (54 views)
Shortcut
Quite agree with you Glorfindela [In reply to] Can't Post

The extras are great! Especially enjoyed seeing those of the actors again in interviews that I had already met at HobbitCon over the Easter weekend which had been simply wonderful (by the way, there will be a second HobbitCon at Easter 2014 for those who don't know it yet Smile).

The movie is partly improved by the two Hobbiton scenes --- the first one, inserted into the prologue, being still too short for me! --- , by the extended White Council scene, and by the scenes with Bilbo in Rivendell and by the (too short) scene in Rivendell between Gandalf and Elrond about insanity in Thror's family. What I could have done without is the Dwarves misbehaving in Rivendell, just too silly and only for kids and those who enjoy puerile humour, and the truly awful extra Goblin King stuff. Will watch the EE in future though as there is simply more of Middle-earth in it of which I never get enough. I did laugh at poor Kili's expense though... Wish there had been more of Fili but as Dean O'Gorman came to be in the cast so late he is conspicuously absent in Rivendell, alas.

All in all, I wish there had been more new scenes/extended scenes! The audiocommentary with PJ and Philippa Boyens is interesting but about a certain aspect of it I do have a bone to pick with them if I ever get around to writing to them.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.