Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
You think these boards will still be active after all the movies are done?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

flameofudun
Lorien

Nov 26 2013, 1:20am

Post #1 of 38 (878 views)
Shortcut
You think these boards will still be active after all the movies are done? Can't Post

I have a deep fellowship with various members in this board, and I feel that while discussion may not be as riveting, we will all still come back to these boards to discuss the film that we love? Do you share my sentiments? I know I will come back here, and feel confident I am not the only one.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

TheFlayedMan
Rivendell

Nov 26 2013, 1:43am

Post #2 of 38 (475 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

This thread has convinced me to come out of my long-delayed lurkdom. I've been lurking here for so long, I had completely forgotten that actually had an account until I attempted to create one just there.

Anyway, back on topic. Yes, I certainly think they will be active, albeit not as lively as they are these days. There is still occasional discussion on the LOTR side of things ten years on, so I think we can rest assured that the interest here won't die out anytime soon.

And with that, my lurker status is henceforth nullified.

Kim
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 2:16am

Post #3 of 38 (419 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations on coming out of lurkdom! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you decided to join in the fun!

BTW, interesting choice of user name - that house gives me the creeps!

Kim
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 2:21am

Post #4 of 38 (413 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think so [In reply to] Can't Post

I for one plan to stick around for quite a while, I don't think I can ever get tired of discussing these movies. And like you, I already feel a connection with a lot of people here, and hope that continues to grow. Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 26 2013, 3:21am

Post #5 of 38 (435 views)
Shortcut
like they were active after the LOTR films were done? [In reply to] Can't Post

Believe me. We had an active and close community for all those 'dead' years after LOTR and before TH. Even if some might have found them quiet. And insanely civil.

Many of us are still here. One just has to visit the other boards once in awhile to see evidence of that ancient civilization. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 4:11am

Post #6 of 38 (358 views)
Shortcut
(*cracked me up Magpie*) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Believe me. We had an active and close community for all those 'dead' years after LOTR and before TH. Even if some might have found them quiet. *And insanely civil*.

Many of us are still here. One just has to visit the other boards once in awhile to see evidence of that ancient civilization. :-)

Its true, I have been in and out since 2001. I certainly hope so, and I believe many of us will want to stay active.

Does part of me wish for more JRRT films, to help with keeping TORn around and vital? Yes.

This set of films does splash a lot of life around the place.

The second TORn Amateur Symposium is running right now, in the Reading Room. Come have a look and maybe stay to chat!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 4:44am

Post #7 of 38 (340 views)
Shortcut
No Ozymandias verse here (Ring of Rings)! [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway, we'll prop up the walls as long as we can, I'm sure.Wink

By the way, I love your new avatar!

demnation
Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 5:39am

Post #8 of 38 (339 views)
Shortcut
Interest will drop sharply after the films, of course [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm sure there will still be plenty of discussion to go around. Interest in these stories has been strong and steady for about 75 years now, and I don't see any signs of that changing.

Mr Baggins began as a comic tale among conventional and inconsistent Grimm's fairy-tale dwarves, and got drawn into the edge of it so that even Sauron the terrible peeped over the edge.- JRR Tolkien, Letter 19

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 5:42am

Post #9 of 38 (339 views)
Shortcut
Well, I've been on these boards since 1923 [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm also slightly prone to exaggeration.

On a slightly more sensible note, I am still happy to talk about the PJ Lord of the Rings films after all this time, along with many other topics. I'm sure I will be doing this for many years to come.

And the discussion can be as riveting as we care to make it. Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 5:43pm

Post #10 of 38 (221 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear it [In reply to] Can't Post

This is all something I've wondered about as well since I just became a ringer this year. I didn't even know TORn or these message boards existed until, oh i don't know...August? and then I lurked for a couple months before I made an account and started posting. I was worried I had missed out on most of the fun since there's only one more movie after DOS and I wondered the exact same thing about whether or not these boards would even be that active after that. I'm relieved to hear that the community was still active during the "dead years" between LotR and TH and presumably will be after TH is over.

Tokiens writings about Middle Earth are something I've very quickly fallen in love with (literally, I didn't understand any of this in June but then had a breakthrough in July and it was all over. I'm a diehard Ringer now!) and I greatly appreciate that this is a place where I can connect with other like-minded people to discuss them. I'm also appreciative about the fact that these board are so insanely civil and open to everyone. I know that's not the case with other fandoms *cough* Twilight *cough* and it's nice to know that I can have an opinion that is different from the opinion of others and, instead of being raked over the coals or being called Hitler for that opinion, it instead leads to deep, educational, intellectual and altogether enjoyable discussions and debates. I fully intend to stick around here as long as possible.Smile

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 8:03pm

Post #11 of 38 (202 views)
Shortcut
What, you mean these movies come in books?! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 8:14pm

Post #12 of 38 (207 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. I feel connected with lots of people on here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the LOTR thread, even though there won't be as much activity as before, there will be lots of topics we can discuss.

Besides, we have loads to talk about his #Majesty. Sly

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 8:33pm

Post #13 of 38 (188 views)
Shortcut
Of course. One does not simply finish discussing his #Majesty. XD // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 8:38pm

Post #14 of 38 (190 views)
Shortcut
See my point?! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 10:54pm

Post #15 of 38 (182 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely... [In reply to] Can't Post

The boards were fine between LOTR and TH....don't see why they won't remain....just adding some comments that have not been made so far....I'm the first. Cause that is important. Oh look...a rabbit...

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 26 2013, 11:32pm

Post #16 of 38 (185 views)
Shortcut
just in case some are not aware... [In reply to] Can't Post

the message boards date back to May 1999. Those boards were reset weekly 'to keep issues up to date'.

In June 1999, a more 'permanent' system was set up. Old threads/posts didn't disappear but only a few most recent ones were active. The rest were essentially locked. There's lots of reminiscing that can go on about those old boards. The bottom line was, the set up and server couldn't really handle the load and things often went 'wonky'.

In March 2007, the boards we are on today opened. We all said good bye to the old boards and had a party to welcome these new ones. It was a festive and reflective day.

But if a newer person were to look at the first threads here and see a 2007 date, they might think the boards were initiated on that date, and that they were Hobbit focused from the get-go. That is not the case. In fact, I can remember when we had one board for 'Movie' and that was 100% LOTR movie. As the Hobbit started becoming more of a reality, Hobbit news started dominating the 'Movie' board, making it hard to conduct the more reflective conversations we were having about the LOTR movies. I can't remember when the Movie board was officially split into two: one for LOTR and one for TH, but all threads connected to the TH were moved retroactively to the new Hobbit movie board so you can't look at the earliest thread on that board to determine the date.

Between the time when the LOTR movies were pretty much done and the Hobbit started buzzing, we held lots of regular, scheduled discussions in the Reading Room and the (LOTR) movie board. There were also lots of regular fun amusement threads (Scenes from the Hat, Short Attention Span Theater, Middle-earth Conspiracy Theories, etc.) and just lots of spontaneous conversation of all types among people who pretty much all got along together with little fireworks or drama (not that there weren't moments....).

People who have met on the message boards and/or in the chat room have been gathering for moots large and small for years. Lots of us share actual mailing addresses to send trinkets, cards, and gifties to each other or to visit each other while traveling. We had a travelling journal where people added a page about themselves into the album and mailed it on to the next message board member. Some have even gotten married to people they've met through TORn.

People come and go, sometimes in waves. We lose touch with some, some come back after years of absence. But what I would want any visitor of any length to know about the message boards is, for a good number of us, we have considered this a 'home' for any where from 1 to 14 years. We care about each other and we are invested in making this place a vibrant and inviting place to visit. We hope many who visit will stay and also feel invested in making this a lovely place to be. I'm glad you feel that you'd like to linger. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2013, 5:10am

Post #17 of 38 (158 views)
Shortcut
I have been here since around 1999 on the old boards and all [In reply to] Can't Post

through the LOTR and then the long wait after when talk of The Hobbit was still just a hope. Discussions go on regarding the books, films and any new publications etc.

Sure, the thread count will slow so the topic will be on the first page longer than 2 days but people will still check in.

We can dream of The Children of Hurin.....

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Nov 27 2013, 5:11am)

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Nov 27 2013, 5:47am

Post #18 of 38 (164 views)
Shortcut
I thought this said [In reply to] Can't Post

"Do you think these *beards* will still be active after all the movies are done?" Sly

And I thought, well I hope so. I kinda like Richard Armitage's beard...

I think I finally need computer glasses. Crazy

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2013, 3:16pm

Post #19 of 38 (139 views)
Shortcut
There's also... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that Storm Over Gondolin fan movie that French filmmaker is going to start filming in 2015. http://www.theonering.net/...storm-over-gondolin/ Sounds like it has a fair amount of potential and it will be like Born of Hope in that it will be free to watch online. Something to look forward too!Smile

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2013, 4:42pm

Post #20 of 38 (132 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the future seems likely to consist of fan made non-profit ventures. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done cgi animated versions may come along as well.

The for profit film future may be dry for a long long time but fans will continue to create art and movies based on various story lines that have not been presented before.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 27 2013, 4:50pm

Post #21 of 38 (136 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I think beards will become quite the trend thanks to TH!

BTW Dame Ioreth, congrats on your NaNoWriMo win! I'm still way behind on mine. I should really be writing Angelic

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 27 2013, 5:00pm

Post #22 of 38 (131 views)
Shortcut
I'll dream with you Eruonen! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

We can dream of The Children of Hurin.....

The second TORn Amateur Symposium is running right now, in the Reading Room. Come have a look and maybe stay to chat!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 27 2013, 5:51pm

Post #23 of 38 (122 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had no problem keeping the interest, enthusiasm and imagination going when LotR was over and didn't know if The Hobbit would ever happen. Tolkien's books are the catalyst of everything, including Jackson's films... so there's never a limitation to what we can share here :)
We're a community... not just a website. Uh oh... I feel a group hug coming on!!
*flying tackle hug to one and all!*

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 27 2013, 6:04pm

Post #24 of 38 (132 views)
Shortcut
Some of us just can't stay away [In reply to] Can't Post

Like others here, I've been around TORn for almost a decade (10-year TORniversary in March). And while I've taken a few hiatuses from the boards these past few years, I keep on coming back.

In those lean years between LOTR and TH, we found plenty of ways to keep ourselves entertained. Whether it was designing and mailing postcards for the Let the Hobbit Happen campaign, checking in with Fiesta Fridays, or the rather infamous Pants threads, there were always new posts to be read around here.

And even when I think the boards have gotten too rowdy for me or I've simply outgrown them, I wander back to find that it simply isn't true. TORn will always be like a second home to me. I suspect we'll be here until The Powers That Be turn off the lights!

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 6:40pm

Post #25 of 38 (115 views)
Shortcut
I love how you were able to summarise the whole forums there, Arwen's daughter! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I suspect we'll be here until The Powers That Be turn off the lights!

Definitely! Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.