Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Where are those vlog(s)?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

flameofudun
Lorien

Nov 25 2013, 10:30pm

Post #1 of 27 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Where are those vlog(s)? Can't Post

Are there going to be no more? We were promised them? I'm just really impatient I know, but what do you think.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

ryanw8
The Shire

Nov 25 2013, 10:40pm

Post #2 of 27 (652 views)
Shortcut
Let them finish the dang movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

The premiere's in a week, but they are also going to have to travel to LA, meaning they'll be finished in a matter of days now.

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Nov 25 2013, 10:45pm

Post #3 of 27 (640 views)
Shortcut
back in july... [In reply to] Can't Post

...PJ said something like "the next vlog won't be far away...maybe in a few weeks"

well it took him 4 months to finally release'em...though i'm fine with that...unless the movie is great ;)

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 25 2013, 11:09pm

Post #4 of 27 (587 views)
Shortcut
I hope there's no new vlog [In reply to] Can't Post

Because we are being fed crazy many spoilers right now Crazy if there's a new vlog it should not contain any new footage, only the production leading up to the polishing of the finished movie IMO!

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2013, 11:26pm

Post #5 of 27 (510 views)
Shortcut
I'd like more vlogs but only after the movie is out [In reply to] Can't Post

You're so right about the spoilers and I don't think we need any more for DOS. I have so much trouble resisting the urge to click something that says "spoiler" on it I end up looking like Frodo trying to resist the Ring! I just want to see the movie already!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 25 2013, 11:32pm

Post #6 of 27 (518 views)
Shortcut
I need plot spoilers with these movies, to prepare me for any dubious deviations. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I hadn't been spoiled about Azog beforehand I might have had a rage and bewilderment induced stroke right there in the theater that first night. Once I find out whether or not a certain Wizard manages to get out of Dol Guldur in these films (and dear God, don't let it be The Witch-King who takes or breakes his staff, let that be the Necromancer), then I can ease back and stop checking every leak... Until then... I don't want to be so shocked that I end up making a fuming scene. lol ... but MadMadMad

In Reply To
Because we are being fed crazy many spoilers right now Crazy if there's a new vlog it should not contain any new footage, only the production leading up to the polishing of the finished movie IMO!

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2013, 11:34pm

Post #7 of 27 (530 views)
Shortcut
Ah, come on, [In reply to] Can't Post

see thread below and have a heart! They can come "fast and furious" after Dec. 2. Then I'll be impatient, too. Wink

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=670589#670589

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 25 2013, 11:43pm

Post #8 of 27 (515 views)
Shortcut
It's obvious, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

They're too busy racing to get the film just right. Time's going so quickly, and when it comes down to it, it's the film that really matters.

Fàfnir
Rohan

Nov 25 2013, 11:57pm

Post #9 of 27 (465 views)
Shortcut
I feel like you about some design choices [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if I didn't have prepared for the look of the dwarves, for instance, it would have upset me greatly and I could not have enjoyed the film. Thanks to promotional pictures, I was already aclimated to and even liking their design choices ! I think if I had seen the film without having seen any footage before I would have been too obsessed with how it was different of how I imagined everything... Of course I can't know for sure but I think that's how I would have reacted. That's why I'm anticipating Smaug's look so feverishly (don't know if i used that word correctly though)

(This post was edited by Fàfnir on Nov 25 2013, 11:57pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 12:21am

Post #10 of 27 (427 views)
Shortcut
I entirely understand. Though the dwarves generally didn't bother me in looks [In reply to] Can't Post

(could have gone for a touch more grey in THorin's hair, and more of a blue-grey beard for Dwalin, because of the book), I definitely agree with your overall sentiment. There are pleasant surprises, which I love, but I don't think one can really be spoiled for a potentially jarring shock. That is just called being forewarned.

In Reply To
I think if I didn't have prepared for the look of the dwarves, for instance, it would have upset me greatly and I could not have enjoyed the film. Thanks to promotional pictures, I was already aclimated to and even liking their design choices ! I think if I had seen the film without having seen any footage before I would have been too obsessed with how it was different of how I imagined everything... Of course I can't know for sure but I think that's how I would have reacted. That's why I'm anticipating Smaug's look so feverishly (don't know if i used that word correctly though)

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 26 2013, 12:33am

Post #11 of 27 (424 views)
Shortcut
When people say the team is putting the final 'polish' on the movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

what the heck does that even mean?

flameofudun
Lorien

Nov 26 2013, 12:34am

Post #12 of 27 (420 views)
Shortcut
Now now [In reply to] Can't Post

I am just anxious. I know that there will be another vlog, and these are all bonus, you wouldn't believe how thankful I am. I understand they are just racing to finish the movie and a new vlog will come sometime after the premiere date I'm assuming.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 1:20am

Post #13 of 27 (393 views)
Shortcut
Final [In reply to] Can't Post

Sound design, music editing, color grading, vfx shots, and in Pjs case possibly even editing.
All of those depts putting in the final touches and tweeks

smaug the stupendous
The Shire

Nov 26 2013, 2:36am

Post #14 of 27 (365 views)
Shortcut
Let them spend time on making the movie great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am really impatient too but i realise that the more time they spend on vlogs the less time there is to work on the film. Id rather have an amazing film than a vlog!

Kim
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 5:44am

Post #15 of 27 (327 views)
Shortcut
Oh no, it's Smaug! [In reply to] Can't Post

Run for the hills!

I mean, welcome to TORn! Sly

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Nov 26 2013, 8:46am

Post #16 of 27 (267 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

The vlogs are made by an entirely different (but as talented) team. Of course they ask some time from the actual filmteam...

I don't mind waiting some more weeks for a vlog - the quality is exceptional and I'd rather have a great one in a month than a average/rushed one in a week. And I think I;m not a minority. But I think the problem that some have is the promise of a vlog (even though often there is no timeframe given) and then no video for a few weeks...

We know by now that when PJ says 'in a couple weeks' we have to take it with a grain of salt and it can mean 'a few months'. But this time (vlog 12 - published november 4th) he said 'we are gonna get the blogs coming thick and fast now between this point and the release'.

So, I do hope they show us 'Pickups Pt2' in the near future..

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 9:12am

Post #17 of 27 (262 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Kylie Plunkett is one who works on the vlogs, [In reply to] Can't Post

and she shot the music video of "I See Fire" with Ed Sheeran. So, it could be said that the team has actually given us another production video.

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Nov 26 2013, 9:18am

Post #18 of 27 (251 views)
Shortcut
That would've take an hour or so.. [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a pretty terrible "musicvideo"... - edit/camerawork/'grading'. I wouldn't count it as a production-video, which are pretty high-quality.

But thanks, didn't know the blog-team did other things than the blogs. Good for them! :)

Fleuz
Lorien

Nov 26 2013, 9:23am

Post #19 of 27 (250 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

Said it will Feature the PickUps.
So the I See Fire Video doesn't count... Wink

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 9:27am

Post #20 of 27 (240 views)
Shortcut
I completely disagree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the quality was excellent…edit/camerawork/'grading'. I enjoyed that video for many reasons - technical, artistic and emotional.

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Nov 26 2013, 9:56am

Post #21 of 27 (219 views)
Shortcut
Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course this is my opinion and I am glad you like it. Don't mind the song acutally.

The focus-pulling in the clip was terrible, often it missed any sharpness in the things that mattered. The awful syncing of singing. The multitude of different materials - black and white clips (handheld + tripod)/colour/telephone/telephone filmed/the movie (with a terrible literal 'porting' of text into images)/making of - no problem with some of them (individually or in a combination), but the lack of coherence of meaning behind the scraping together made it almost unwatchable.
Some of the crossfades between the different materials were pretty bad (for example the last one of Smaug (around 5:25)).

And I could go on. But I won't, haha. It is of course my opinion, and I can understand why it works for some.

I am unable to watch such videoclips without looking for bad things, so that is my own problem :).

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 10:09am

Post #22 of 27 (209 views)
Shortcut
Cheers. [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll agree to disagree.

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 10:53am

Post #23 of 27 (220 views)
Shortcut
I guess the Theatrical DVD/BluRay [In reply to] Can't Post

...will just feature two vlogs. :)

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 10:55am

Post #24 of 27 (208 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe something we haven't seen yet? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 2:00pm

Post #25 of 27 (147 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen enough - already "sanitizing" posts I read (THANK YOU for all those courteous posters!) and thinking after the premier I may be avoiding any ME sites, because critical reviews etc. tend to have spoilers, and think there will be too much chatter way before the 12th/13th. Too many posts w. titles that spoil, too, all over the Internet.

It's so hard, because I'm dying for more details and images at the same time.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.