The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Funny observation while watching TTT Helm's Deep scene

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2013, 11:53pm

Post #1 of 20 (923 views)
Shortcut
Funny observation while watching TTT Helm's Deep scene Can't Post

I wasn't sure if this should thread should go here or under Main, but if it's it the wrong place then mods please move it.

I noticed during the Helm's Deep scene in TTT where the uruk hia have started to take over the fortress that this one semi-funny moment happens in the background.

Théoden says "The fortress is taken. It is over." Then Aragorn and Legolas who are helping to barricade the door run over to grab either end of this large plank of wood and Aragorn says "You said this fortress would never fall while your men defend it!" The funny thing I saw is that when Aragorn delivers his line, he lets go of his end of the plank without any notice. You can see in the background that poor Legolas, suddenly having to carry the plank by himself actually half drops it and has to reposition himself to pick it back up again! You can see it very clearly in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51oEk21ax5A if you watch it from the 17sec mark to the 25sec mark.

I don't know if this was intentional or if it was like that riders of Rohan scene where your can see that Eomer's sword is falling out of the sheath as he rides away but the actors ignored it and they left it in the film. Has anyone else noticed this?

Remus
Lorien

Nov 25 2013, 12:16am

Post #2 of 20 (602 views)
Shortcut
It's intentional [In reply to] Can't Post

Look at Legolas. Aragorn talks to Theoden and Legolas is like "hey? What are you doing Aragorn?".

It's definetly not a mistake. Not the way i see it.

But i really wanna see that, i wanna see that scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dûr and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 19 2013, 2:25pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Nov 25 2013, 1:14am

Post #3 of 20 (581 views)
Shortcut
Not a blooper, from my perspective. [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas, to me, also seems to identify the reason that this happens instantly. He knows what Aragorn must do--and what must be said to Theoden.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Nov 25 2013, 1:15am)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Nov 25 2013, 8:27am

Post #4 of 20 (525 views)
Shortcut
Will have to re-look at Helms Deep [In reply to] Can't Post

but.........that @#!"?; sword scence, how could they keep that in. What blew it for me is the fact Aragorn notices and does nothing, it was almost as bad as someone staring at a camera. It just ruined all concept of theatrical reality in that scene for me.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2013, 3:39pm

Post #5 of 20 (483 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't bother me much [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since I didn't notice the sword thing until someone pointed it out. Even then I had to rewind about 10 times to see it. But yeah, once you notice it you're not going to stop noticing it. Actually my mom and I enjoy joking around and adding some extra dialogue to the scene:

Eomer: "We ride north!"
*Riders of Rohan gallop away*

Aragorn (shouting): "Hey, Eomer! Your sword fell out on the ground back here! Aren't you going to need it?"

Eomer: "We ride south!" Tongue

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 12:02am

Post #6 of 20 (466 views)
Shortcut
I love things like that [In reply to] Can't Post

everyone's got a serious answer geez lol I've noticed it before it's always hilarious to me little elven princeling needs to start lifting weights lol. there's another scene when the Ents break the dam and they brace for the impact of the water, this one Ent is on fire flailing his arms about he dips his head in the water I just find it funny for some reason I can hear his thoughts "OH THANK GOD WATER!!"

there's plenty more background things I've noticed but I can't recall them right now

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 4:27pm

Post #7 of 20 (420 views)
Shortcut
I glad someone else thought it was funny :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed the Ent thing too and it always makes me giggle during an otherwise serious scene. It seems the two of us have a similar sense of humor! Wink I also think it's fun to watch Legolas when he's in the background of the scene because he made so many odd facial expressions. It seems other people have noticed it too and have made a bunch of gifs for them. My favorite its the one he does behind Théoden that you can see in the gif at the bottom of this page: http://background-legolas.tumblr.com/ I keep expecting somebody to turn around and say "Legolas, what the heck are you doing back there?!" Lol!Tongue

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 5:16pm

Post #8 of 20 (448 views)
Shortcut
That wasn't what cracked me up about this scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

It took me a good few times to look but in the background, the bit afterwards [around 41 seconds] when Legolas literally overturns the table with the candles and food (shoving all the things onto the floor with a crash) and just runs with it to the door makes me laugh every time. It's just the way he does it. Laugh

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 6:13pm

Post #9 of 20 (438 views)
Shortcut
There is a great Blooper [In reply to] Can't Post

Beginning of ROTK

When riding through the water of Flooded
Isengard..Theoden's Horse
Takes...a Dump?

"Never Trust a Horse?"

Bomby

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 6:33pm

Post #10 of 20 (414 views)
Shortcut
*snerk* [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow I missed that! Lol! I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to keep out those orcs! Tongue

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 6:35pm

Post #11 of 20 (413 views)
Shortcut
haha! When nature calls... [In reply to] Can't Post

...sometimes you have no choice but to answer!Sly

Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 7:20pm

Post #12 of 20 (401 views)
Shortcut
Desperate measures at times like these are always needed.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 9:46pm

Post #13 of 20 (406 views)
Shortcut
As long as we are at Helm's Deep [In reply to] Can't Post

A more serious question. Did none of the elves survive the battle?

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2013, 10:10pm

Post #14 of 20 (395 views)
Shortcut
hmm...I haven't a clue [In reply to] Can't Post

I had wondered about that myself. Of course Legolas survived, but I sure don't recall seeing any other elves around after the battle at any point. I would hope they didn't all die. Perhaps, if there were survivors, they simply left immediately after? I don't know.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 11:47pm

Post #15 of 20 (386 views)
Shortcut
One Legolas Expression [In reply to] Can't Post

There's one Legolas facial expreion I always notice is when Haldir comes to the rescue at Helm's Deep "We are proud to fight alongside men once more" Legolas in the background looks really really proud at the moment like he's saying "Aww yeah who just came to save yo butt? elves did!" lol

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 12:52am

Post #16 of 20 (395 views)
Shortcut
I remember reading... [In reply to] Can't Post

an interview from an Elf extra (Ben Britton, I think) that, officially, all the Elves from Lothlorien did die at Helm's Deep, which kinda makes no sense statistically to me. Either that, or really only a handful of *all* the people fighting there did make it - just those we see with Théoden there. And that's not a lot. Crazy However, the extra guy noted that you could also see him as an extra in the background at the Grey Havens, so I just prefer to believe that some of them did survive. What they did and where they went after that, though, I haven't a clue.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 27 2013, 2:18am

Post #17 of 20 (387 views)
Shortcut
As I recall... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one of the production books (either Weapons & Warfare or maybe the LOTR Companion) confirmed the none of the elves survived Helm's Deep.

When the company rides out of Helm's Deep for their last stand there are two elves with them. One of them is Legolas and the other has been digitally altered to be not-Arwen. I *think* that's the last we see of any of the elves.

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 27 2013, 2:20am

Post #18 of 20 (385 views)
Shortcut
I've read the same 'rumor' [In reply to] Can't Post

A long time ago, I ran across an old page put up pre-TTT that dealt with rumors about what was going to be in TTT. Many of them turned out to be true. One was that all the Elves died defending Helm's Deep (except Legolas and ghost-Arwen).

This does make sense to me. We just don't see them after a certain point and not at all when Theoden "rides out to meet them." If there had been any of the Elven army left alive, I believe they would have been in that ride out.

I think they all died putting themselves in the thickest of it... esp. if they had realized how inexperienced the Rohirrim were.

I have often wished I could track down that old webpage. I think I found it researching the horse Brego (since, in the TE, Brego was a bit of a mystery) and I think it was a site that focused on the horses, but I'm not sure.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 27 2013, 2:21am

Post #19 of 20 (406 views)
Shortcut
While we're talking about funny stuff at Helm's Deep [In reply to] Can't Post

Has everyone seen the elf who has to duck out of the way of his neighbor's quiver full of arrows? It's right around the time that Aragorn shouts, "Ladders!"

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 10:41am

Post #20 of 20 (372 views)
Shortcut
How did I miss that?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good elf-eyes, Arwen's daughter. I'll look out for that next time I watch it. Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.