Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Elladan, Elrohir, and Glorfindel
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 24 2013, 12:00pm

Post #1 of 56 (4281 views)
Shortcut
Elladan, Elrohir, and Glorfindel Can't Post

So I was watching the hobbit, and I noticed something that made me think. When the dwarves enter Rivendell and Elrond and his cavalry circle the dwarves, there are at least 3 helmetless elves wearing circlets just as elrond. The first two riders we see have these circlets and are dark haired. The camera shows brief shots of the two. The next elf we see is blonde and also wears a circlet....the camera actually stays on him for a few seconds.
Could the first two dark haired riders be a subtle nod to the sons of elrond, and the blonde one a nod to Glorfindel....(the blonde guy looks rather grim, and to me a little older than most elves we've seen besides elrond.
These three stood out to me because they were the only ones wearing circlets rather than helmets...an obvious simble of higher station. I wouldnt be surprised if PJ gave a small unannounced nod to these beloved characters...if only perhaps for himself.
Either way, to me those riders will always be Elladan, Elrohir, and the mighty Glorfindel
If this has already been pointed out...my bad

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Nov 24 2013, 12:27pm

Post #2 of 56 (3592 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

If Elladan and Elrohir look twin-like then I'll accept them as the three either way! ;)

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 24 2013, 12:48pm

Post #3 of 56 (3562 views)
Shortcut
the twins [In reply to] Can't Post

They look very similar based on the two fleeting shots we get of them riding by. The blonde one just seems to scream Glorfindel to me. He pretty much mean mugs the camera like hard core. He looks like an elf who's been around (for a few ages)...very befitting of the legendary warrior.
I was always a bit disappointed the twins werent featured in LOTR. Their love for Aragorn was touching, and showed great character uncommon to most elves...leaving their kin to fight along side men. I can only imagine the many skirmishes they fought along side aragorn and the rangers, before the war of the ring. Their great respect and admiration for aragorn was very apparent in the books. It seems to me that those two, albeit only briefly featured even in the books, were two of the most amiable chatacters in tolkien's mythos.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.

elf-lady
Rivendell

Nov 24 2013, 1:50pm

Post #4 of 56 (3451 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to think that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Long time lurker but your post pulled me out of lurkdom for my first post! I was thinking the same thing and at least in my head canon, they are indeed Elladan, Elrohir and Glorfindel. My friends and I were sad when the twins were not included in some fashion in Fellowship so we placated ourselves that they were the elves reforging Narsil into Andúril. Wink

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Nov 24 2013, 1:51pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 24 2013, 1:57pm

Post #5 of 56 (3456 views)
Shortcut
I do so wish Glorfindel was in these films [In reply to] Can't Post

And also that he had been in FOTR, as written by Tolkien.

However, he would have to be absolutely right in looks in order for him to work for me – really beautiful and androgynous looking, like Thranduil. I find the other 'Elves' too human looking, and many are not very attractive.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Nov 24 2013, 3:12pm

Post #6 of 56 (3356 views)
Shortcut
beat me to it [In reply to] Can't Post

I was gonna post that lol I always did think those were Elrond's son reforging Narsil, and also most of the elves that lived in Rivendell are gone in ROTK anyway so who would want to stay behind with Elrond if not his sons? I know he sent Arwen away but come she's daddy's little girl lol and I always thought he horsemen with Elrond were his sons but I never thought Glorfindel till now I could see Elrond and those three hanging around Rivendell drinking mead and watching elvish football saying "hey you guys wanna go hunting tomorrow?"

Finrod
Rohan

Nov 24 2013, 4:00pm

Post #7 of 56 (3373 views)
Shortcut
Elrond is the eldest of all our race, quoth Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was always a bit disappointed the twins werent featured in LOTR. Their love for Aragorn was touching, and showed great character uncommon to most elves...leaving their kin to fight along side men.

But Aragorn was their kin, and indeed their distant cousin — not to mention their foster brother as well. For it was Aragorn himself who said:
Would that Elrond were here, for he is the eldest of all our race, and has the greater power.
So the Sons of Elrond never left their kin at all when they went to Aragorn’s aid, but stood with their race: that of the unbreakable line of Lúthien.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

(This post was edited by Finrod on Nov 24 2013, 4:01pm)

Shirriff Anthony
Bree

Nov 24 2013, 7:13pm

Post #8 of 56 (3228 views)
Shortcut
Elrond's Sons [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought something similar and mentioned it in a previous thread. Furthermore, I would have much preferred to see Aragorn and the Grey Company at the Pelennor than the ghosts in ROTK.

Faramir: “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 24 2013, 7:23pm

Post #9 of 56 (3209 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats true, but aragorn wasnt the only one they were fighting with....there were the other rangers, the men of gondor, and the men of rohan. Though aragorn was their distant relative, hes only one....the twins still left thier "prople" to be around far more men than kin. This was my point, they left the familiarity of being around other elves, their people/kin because of their love for one man. It shows great character.

(This post was edited by Snowghost77 on Nov 24 2013, 7:25pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 24 2013, 8:22pm

Post #10 of 56 (3220 views)
Shortcut
Here he is behind his friend who he'd been sitting near, Gandalf, and then again, standing tall, and less burdened with [In reply to] Can't Post

worriesand in his full resplendence (his hair grew out during the year, and uh... he'd gained a little weight, bulking up for the battle against wights and wraiths to come ... because a different actor took the role lolol) behind Elrond in Minas tirith.

http://www.collecttolkien.com/...Rivendell%2010x8.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/...OP01r5yuawo1_500.jpg

In Reply To
And also that he had been in FOTR, as written by Tolkien.

However, he would have to be absolutely right in looks in order for him to work for me – really beautiful and androgynous looking, like Thranduil. I find the other 'Elves' too human looking, and many are not very attractive.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 24 2013, 8:40pm

Post #11 of 56 (3165 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats it for me...the two pics you just posted and the blonde rider are all Glorfindel in my mind. He and the sons of Elrond are now accounted for, and a small part of my weird little brain is now content.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 24 2013, 9:03pm

Post #12 of 56 (3144 views)
Shortcut
I completely understand, my friend. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thats it for me...the two pics you just posted and the blonde rider are all Glorfindel in my mind. He and the sons of Elrond are now accounted for, and a small part of my weird little brain is now content.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2013, 9:49pm

Post #13 of 56 (3133 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't sure if he was blonde or not [In reply to] Can't Post

The "blonde" elf sort of looked blonde in the close up shot but when the camera zooms out it's hard to find him again because they all look similar again. I think it may have just been the lighting making his hair look lighter because all of the really blonde elves in all the movies (Legolas/Thranduil/Galadriel/Haldir etc) have been obviously blonde and you should be able to find the blonde hair in the zoomed out shot quite easily.

Even still, it makes me happy to think these three elves (blonde or not) were a not to Elladan, Elrohir and Glorfindel, so I'm willing to overlook it.Wink I really wish they'd put Glorfindel in there somewhere anyway and maybe even give him a line or two because I really liked him in the FotR book. His description was the first time I really got a good picture in my head of how ethereal/magical and beautiful the elves were supposed to be so he'll always be a favorite minor character of mine.

BTW I've only seen one other person point this out and it was in a thread with a different topic and sort of got lost with all the other posts so it's totally Ok that you started a new thread dedicated to this topic. Smile

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 24 2013, 11:05pm

Post #14 of 56 (3127 views)
Shortcut
It really bothered me that they gave SOO much highlighting to Lindir, but forgot about [In reply to] Can't Post

the immeasurably more relevant Glorfindel. What can you do, though?

In Reply To
The "blonde" elf sort of looked blonde in the close up shot but when the camera zooms out it's hard to find him again because they all look similar again. I think it may have just been the lighting making his hair look lighter because all of the really blonde elves in all the movies (Legolas/Thranduil/Galadriel/Haldir etc) have been obviously blonde and you should be able to find the blonde hair in the zoomed out shot quite easily.

Even still, it makes me happy to think these three elves (blonde or not) were a not to Elladan, Elrohir and Glorfindel, so I'm willing to overlook it.Wink I really wish they'd put Glorfindel in there somewhere anyway and maybe even give him a line or two because I really liked him in the FotR book. His description was the first time I really got a good picture in my head of how ethereal/magical and beautiful the elves were supposed to be so he'll always be a favorite minor character of mine.

BTW I've only seen one other person point this out and it was in a thread with a different topic and sort of got lost with all the other posts so it's totally Ok that you started a new thread dedicated to this topic. Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2013, 11:24pm

Post #15 of 56 (3102 views)
Shortcut
Question: Just out of curiosity [In reply to] Can't Post

Was it ever stated where Glorfindel was supposed to be during the time of the Hobbit or is it just sort of assumed that, because he was in Rivendell in FotR that he was probably would have been there during the time of the Hobbit?

I'm just wondering because we know where some of the characters should have been during that time, like I heard Arwen was living in Lothlorien with Galadriel and Celeborn during the Hobbit and that's why she wasn't at Rivendell, but I don't know if anything more was known about Glorfindel's whereabouts.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 24 2013, 11:27pm

Post #16 of 56 (3088 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I always imagined that Elf next to Elrond was Glorfindel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks very much for reminding me of this AinurOlorin. Smile

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 24 2013, 11:40pm

Post #17 of 56 (3108 views)
Shortcut
I think they're all visible... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in this image. Two on the upper right, one on the lower left. None look particularly blonde to me, but I still like the concept.

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 25 2013, 12:37am

Post #18 of 56 (3082 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah...non of those look like the blonde elf that is the third one the camera briefly gives us a shot of, when they first circle the dwarves. The guy im referring to as a nod to glorfindel is clearly blonde. Maybe their were 1 or 2 more non helmet wearing elves besides the two dark haired, and blonde one.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2013, 1:28am

Post #19 of 56 (3055 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, elf-lady! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you finally decided to de-lurk. Smile

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 25 2013, 1:33am

Post #20 of 56 (3078 views)
Shortcut
Arwen did stay in Lothlorien for a time, but Glorfindel was famously a Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

lord and captain. He led the hosts of Rivendell against Angmar in several key battles to aid Arnor, most notably at Fornost, and he is still in Rivendell at the time of Fellowship, so his timeline is much more better established than those of some others. Including Lindir. lol

In Reply To
Was it ever stated where Glorfindel was supposed to be during the time of the Hobbit or is it just sort of assumed that, because he was in Rivendell in FotR that he was probably would have been there during the time of the Hobbit?

I'm just wondering because we know where some of the characters should have been during that time, like I heard Arwen was living in Lothlorien with Galadriel and Celeborn during the Hobbit and that's why she wasn't at Rivendell, but I don't know if anything more was known about Glorfindel's whereabouts.

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 25 2013, 2:05am

Post #21 of 56 (3049 views)
Shortcut
lindir [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok so im obviously not quite the expert as some of you seem to be (im working on it), but is lindir a tolkien character, or made up by PJ and crew? I feel like I should know this. And by the way AinurOlorin, always enjoy the historical input you throw from time to time. You, like so many others, really make it fun visiting these boards.
Peace.

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 25 2013, 2:23am

Post #22 of 56 (3055 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel [In reply to] Can't Post

Well Eruvandi, you may be right about the blonde guy perhaps not being super blonde after all. My stance is with you...im willing to concede a not so blonde elf as Glorfindel, and based on this description from tolkien:

"Glorfindel was tall ans straight: his hair was shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy: his eyes were bright and keen and his voice like music: on his brow sat wisdom and in his hand was strength. "
- Fellowship of the Ring

Isnt shining gold a little more orangy than bright yellow? I dont think ive seen gold that looks the color of bleached blonde, so maybe tolkien never intended him to have valley girl bleach blonde hair...or maybe I need to look at some shining gold again. Food for thought.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2013, 2:51am

Post #23 of 56 (3030 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...here's a bunch of images of shining gold http://www.bing.com/...Gold&FORM=HDRSC2 It looks...well, um...gold. Some of it is a little yellowish, some of it maybe a little on the orange side. Definitely not a "valley girl beach blonde" color though so you're right about that. Anyway, whether or not it was intended that way or not, I think it's interesting that the movie makers would choose to have three elves other than Elrond not wearing helms even though it really wasn't necessary. And blonde or not we can still pretend one of them is Glorfindel.Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2013, 2:53am

Post #24 of 56 (3028 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your quite the expert aren't you!Wink

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 25 2013, 2:57am

Post #25 of 56 (3039 views)
Shortcut
He is in Fellowship, but in the MOST minor named role imaginable. He judges a [In reply to] Can't Post

poem contest of sorts between Aragorn and Bilbo, and comments that he isn't good at differentiating mortals, essentially because to him, "the all look (or at least act and think) alike" lol.

And Thank you! I am glad Smile

In Reply To
Ok so im obviously not quite the expert as some of you seem to be (im working on it), but is lindir a tolkien character, or made up by PJ and crew? I feel like I should know this. And by the way AinurOlorin, always enjoy the historical input you throw from time to time. You, like so many others, really make it fun visiting these boards.
Peace.

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Nov 25 2013, 2:58am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.