Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What will Azog do in DOS?

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 11:14pm

Post #1 of 18 (1500 views)
Shortcut
What will Azog do in DOS? Can't Post

I really disliked everything about Azog when I first watched AUJ, but have warmed up to the concept a bit after thinking about it as it gives Thorin an archenemy which is interesting. However, I don't want to watch Azog chasing the company all over again like in the first movie, they should save him for BOFA to have his confrontation with Thorin (I wonder if he'll be the one to kill Thorin?)

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 11:16pm

Post #2 of 18 (936 views)
Shortcut
I think we need to wait and see? [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be interesting, anyway. Wink

tsmith675
Gondor

Nov 23 2013, 11:26pm

Post #3 of 18 (933 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely nothing.. [In reply to] Can't Post

just like in AUJ... Wink

No I'm just kidding, I actually don't mind Azog, and he warmed up to me too. But I'm really not sure what he'll be up to in DoS. I would assume there will be some link between Azog and the Necromancer in this film. What I really don't want is just for Azog to be chasing the dwarves the whole film, just like in AUJ.

"Seriously, why was the scene with CGI dwarf ass NOT in the theatrical cut?!"

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 11:41pm

Post #4 of 18 (866 views)
Shortcut
I hope we see less of him [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to think back at The Hobbit trilogy in ten years and think: Dwarves, Bilbo, Gandalf, Dragon...oh, and Azog!
I would much rather remember things that are canon.
So I hope we won't see a lot of Azog. I think it will be AUJ over again, he is chasing Thorin and probably into Laketown where Azog might just pose a threat to the remaining dwarves who stay behind while the others tease Smaug in the Lonely Mountain.

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

Rheged
Bree

Nov 24 2013, 12:31am

Post #5 of 18 (845 views)
Shortcut
I imagine that he'll... [In reply to] Can't Post

...personally lead the orcs against the elves and dwarves in Mirkwood leading to the barrel sequence battle- based on the recent vlog, Bolg will be present too. He may also lead a second attack against the dwarves in Laketown in a hit-and-run style raid aimed at wiping them out. This will pit the orcs against the dwarves (possibly only a few of them if the bulk of them are already moving towards the Lonely Mountain), Legolas, Tauriel and Bard who will prove to be handy with a bow to the surprise of the dwarves, foreshadowing his role in TABA against Smaug and the orc/goblin hoard.

That said, there's evidence also that Azog will appear at Dol Guldur, so perhaps Bolg leads the attack on Laketown while Azog is called back to Dol Guldur with a pack of orcs to defend it from Gandalf and Radagast.

Furthermore, he might have some sort of Beorn interaction at some point, though I really hope that is confined to Bolg in order to create a rivalry between Beorn and Bolg that culminates in their showdown at the BoFA.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 24 2013, 12:50am

Post #6 of 18 (880 views)
Shortcut
Here are my thoughts based on things we know (possible heavy spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) We will see him at the beginning of the movie or at least a few of his scouts... he was so close at the end of AUJ so I don't believe he is that patient to went back to Dol Guldur or Gundabad and wait. There will be definitely one or two Orc scouts following the Dwarves but won't ever return thanks to Beorn. We need this also as a bridge to the last movie.

2.) I guess we also get a Beorn flashback when he talks to Gandalf. Looking at the soundtrack and at its third track "A Necromancer" I guess this will be some kind of flashback scene retold by Beorn. Perhaps we see Azog killing all the Beornings and taking Beorn prisoner to Dol Guldur were Beorn also confronts the Necromancer. But like the Woodsmen and Radgast he also has no idea that this is Sauron. Gandalf is so worried that he decides to leave the company at the edge of Mirkwood to meet with Radagast and solve the riddle of the Morgul Blade.

3.) The next time we'll see Azog will be during the Barrels scene where he loses the track of the Dwarves again. I guess that's where he is called back to Dol Guldur.

4.) No idea.. perhaps Dol Guldur stuff.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Na Vedui
Rohan

Nov 24 2013, 12:56am

Post #7 of 18 (867 views)
Shortcut
"And the villain still pursued her..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog will grow a large black moustache with pointy ends, and twirl it, and say "Ha, my proud beauty!" - then he will tie Thorin to the railway track that leads from the Elvenking's halls to Laketown. As the train approaches, belching steam, Bilbo will run to and fro with frantic gestures to the accompaniment of a cinema organ, and will manage to untie Thorin and drag him aside only just in time...

The Mitch King
Rohan

Nov 24 2013, 1:06am

Post #8 of 18 (829 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

He will attack the dwarves in Thranduil's kingdom and then head to DG to confront Gandalf and Radagast. He will be shown to be working with Sauron. This will probably also set him up as leading an army from DG to Erebor at the end.

Swingcatpdx
The Shire

Nov 24 2013, 1:27am

Post #9 of 18 (805 views)
Shortcut
AZOG [In reply to] Can't Post

Will be chasing dwarves in barrel sequence. Then will be called back to Dol Guldur to be confronted, chastised and PUNISHED by Sauron for his FAILURE with the dwarves. Will be shown to experience the TERROR of being in the presence of the dark lord himself. Will play a minor role in helping to defend Dol Guldur. Will then lead the orc army to BOFA. Will confront and mortally wound Thorin. May be confronted by Bilbo again?(Fili and Kili already dead, Dain has not arrived to Thorin yet, Bilbo defends one on one with Azog). Dain then arrives. Will then be killed by Dain.

(This post was edited by Swingcatpdx on Nov 24 2013, 1:31am)

daemoon
Rivendell

Nov 24 2013, 2:57am

Post #10 of 18 (769 views)
Shortcut
Azog will... [In reply to] Can't Post

make purists angry. Tongue

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 24 2013, 3:05am

Post #11 of 18 (739 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

Love this scenario. Let's hope it turns out this way.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2013, 8:10pm

Post #12 of 18 (508 views)
Shortcut
Get killed in the first ten minutes?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Yngwulff
Gondor

Nov 25 2013, 4:07am

Post #13 of 18 (447 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

He'll chase Thorin in vain and de quickly allowing Bolg to take over

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 25 2013, 4:46am

Post #14 of 18 (447 views)
Shortcut
Be killed and just die already? We probably couldn't be so lucky. [In reply to] Can't Post

But definitely this, even if that... especially if that fails.

In Reply To
make purists angry. Tongue

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

patrickk
Rohan

Nov 25 2013, 7:40am

Post #15 of 18 (468 views)
Shortcut
I saw PJ's explanation and it made sense [In reply to] Can't Post

...in the commentary. Keepign Azog alive made the death of Thorin's father and who did it more personal. By leaving it to Bolg makes it a step removed in terms of tension, anger, and vengeance.

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Nov 25 2013, 11:14am

Post #16 of 18 (402 views)
Shortcut
I also wonder.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether PJ will follow the book with Bilbo getting knocked out while invisible or I suppose like including Merry in the Battle at the Black Gate in RotK, will he include Bilbo actually fighting during the B05A.

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2013, 1:56pm

Post #17 of 18 (389 views)
Shortcut
For some of us... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it is difficult to watch the walking contradiction that is Azog, when we know he died at Azanulbizar, decapitated by Dain Ironfoot. For me, at least, it's kind of hard to put aside what I know to be the case from the books, and accept his very different fate in film-verse.

That said, I do kind of like the stare down between Azog and Thorin at the pine trees. Might have to do with the fact that, for some reason, Azog's CGI looks much better to me during that scene than it does during the Moria flashback or Weathertop. Though I still wish Thorin would have ended this silly subplot then and there.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2013, 5:14pm

Post #18 of 18 (362 views)
Shortcut
If only... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Though I still wish Thorin would have ended this silly subplot then and there.

Not only would we then not have to see him for the rest of the trilogy, it would have made some sense of the final conflict in AUJ, which to me was uninvolving, and just fell flat. And it would have saved Bilbo's heroism for when it was supposed to happen (though this change is not that big a deal to me). As it is, Thorin comes down to fight Azog, only to be dealt a fatal blow to the skull that somehow doesn't kill him, so Azog orders one of his lackeys to finish the job-- none of which makes any sense to me as a supposedly exciting, character-driven denouement. Thankfully, the eagles arrive, saving our Company, and this part of the trilogy-- otherwise DoS would have suffered greatly from AUJ's flaccid ending, in my opinion.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Nov 25 2013, 5:19pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.