DW 50th special!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Nov 23 2013, 9:15pm

Post #1 of 34 (728 views)
Shortcut
DW 50th special!!! Can't Post

what did everyone think???? I thought it was amazing!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2013, 9:18pm

Post #2 of 34 (430 views)
Shortcut
It was a mess. [In reply to] Can't Post

But a beautiful mess.

Smile

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2013, 9:23pm

Post #3 of 34 (420 views)
Shortcut
A mess? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was brilliantly done. And Moffat's given the doctor a great new purpose for the next series - can't wait!

I really liked that they used the original intro for the show - and 11 making a dig about 10's sand-shoes made me laugh out loud. :D

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2013, 9:37pm

Post #4 of 34 (403 views)
Shortcut
Don't get me wrong ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a lovely episode. It really was. Smile

But the first 50 minutes was pretty much a mess. The Zygon plot was utterly pointless. There was far too much padding.

But, as I said, it was a beautiful mess.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 23 2013, 9:49pm

Post #5 of 34 (403 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you, Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I hate to disagree with Daniel, I thought it was beautifully, cleverly, and sensitively done. The Zygon plot didn't bother me a bit---many lovely bits as well as evoking the good old Brigadier, whose daughter is now in charge of UNIT.

And her assistant with the scarf, playing Every-Fan with the Tom Baker scarf, only to have Baker himself appear at the end. Heart

What great way to evoke ALL the doctors, to create a happy ending after all, and to leave the doctor with a great new purpose. (Plus, did I catch a glimpse of Peter Capaldi's eyes in the sequence of all the doctors revving up to move Gallifrey?)

My only quibble is, why couldn't they have found an actress to play Elizabeth who looked more like her? This one resembled Victoria, not Elizabeth. But what the heck.

Gallifrey Falls No More! Smile

Kim
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 9:59pm

Post #6 of 34 (390 views)
Shortcut
I have to admit [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a little confused, but I mostly chalked that up to the fact that I've only seen the re-booted series up through Matt Smith's first series, plus a few random others. I think I may have missed a lot of references to the older series, but I did feel it all came together well at the end, and was a nice set up for going forward. I was kind of bummed that Billie Piper didn't really play Rose though.

And yes, I also caught Peter Capaldi's eyes at the end. Thought I may have been seeing something until I saw Lily's comment. Smile

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 23 2013, 10:01pm

Post #7 of 34 (374 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was great [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't watched the last couple of series because, to be honest, Moffat's labyrinthine plots just got too much imo. But this one was so much betterSmile I know it's cheesy, but I loved the fact that all the doctors appeared with their Tardis's (what is the plural of Tardis?)

Further treat for UK fans straight after the credits was a teaser trailer for Sherlock! Then an "after-show" party on another BBC channel- which promised to be good, but I turned off after a while because I found the two presenters so annoyingFrown

But, all in all, definitely an evening well spent!Laugh

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Kim
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 10:07pm

Post #8 of 34 (361 views)
Shortcut
Tardii? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I haven't watched the last couple of series for the same reason, and this one did feel a bit convoluted as well, but I liked how it wrapped up.

You got to see a teaser trailer for Sherlock?!? No fair! We wants it too, precious! Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 23 2013, 10:11pm

Post #9 of 34 (360 views)
Shortcut
Good! I wasn't imagining things! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've liked Capaldi for years and years and am looking forward to seeing his take on the doctor.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2013, 10:12pm

Post #10 of 34 (375 views)
Shortcut
I wish, so much, [In reply to] Can't Post

that Christopher Eccleston had agreed to take part - having all three 'new' doctors would have made a lot of sense with that plot. Ah well, can't have everything.

In Reply To
What great way to evoke ALL the doctors, to create a happy ending after all,

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2013, 10:16pm

Post #11 of 34 (365 views)
Shortcut
Here's a gif of it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

^That, and Tom Baker's cameo were brilliant. Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 23 2013, 10:21pm

Post #12 of 34 (368 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I had my hopes up there, when Hurt started regenerating, but no. At least you kept seeing him go by in the background, with the others. (I'm tickled that Paul McGann did that short video, regenerating into Hurt.)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 23 2013, 10:21pm

Post #13 of 34 (342 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Nov 23 2013, 10:35pm

Post #14 of 34 (385 views)
Shortcut
Tom Baker's cameo made me *so* happy! [In reply to] Can't Post

He has always been my favourite Doctor.

I haven't really followed the series since Tennant's departure (though I was very fond of his Doctor as well), but tuned in primarily for the significance of the event-I was very glad that I did. Not the best of storylines in my opinion, but the acting well and truly brought it to life-Tennant and Smith played off each other brilliantly, along with a great performance by one of my all-time favourite actors, John Hurt.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2013, 10:46pm

Post #15 of 34 (342 views)
Shortcut
A wonderful, roller-coaster ride [In reply to] Can't Post

through time and space - and several improbability vortices! I loved it. From the epic scale of the battle scenes to the personal moments, and the funny little comments about sandshoes, bow ties etc bouncing around between the Doctors, it was thoroughly enjoyable. I need to watch it again to pick up more little references to past plots and so forth. And yes, Queen Elizabeth I was rather too buxom to be convincing! I kept thinking about Blackadder when she was on... rather distracting Tongue

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 23 2013, 10:51pm

Post #16 of 34 (355 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that sums it up for me [In reply to] Can't Post

...I loved it!!!

But...yeah it was a bit of a mess.

Felt too short, but too long as well-the Zygone Subplot was really tacked on for me, and the first 10 minutes were really clunky. But, I liked they didn't go overboard and do a by the numbers reunion, even if it only felt like a anniversary because of the story not the scale (not that that's a bad thing)

The dialogue and acting were great...I pretty much exploded with excitement when Capaldi and Tom Baker turned up-still can't work out what the deal with Baker was?-A future Doctor or just a bloke with confusing dialogue? (They are apparently explaining why Capaldi's doctor has the same face as a prior character in the series...)

Couldn't stop smiling when they all lined up on the planet together.

This could be a really intriguing direction for Capaldi's Doctor-looking for his home whilst getting closer and closer to his last regeneration. Can't wait.

Eccleston did himself no favors he'll be asked about this for the rest of his career.

8/10.

Smile

I don't have much to say.

Kim
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 10:57pm

Post #17 of 34 (356 views)
Shortcut
So, about Paul McGann [In reply to] Can't Post

That was one of the things that confused me. If he regenerated into John Hurt's doctor, then how could John Hurt's doctor be the one who destroyed Gallifrey? Or should I just chalk it up to timey-wimey, wibbly-wobbly stuff?

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 23 2013, 11:14pm

Post #18 of 34 (340 views)
Shortcut
Did anybody else think of.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug's attacks on Dale and Laketown when they showed the Gallifreyan city burning and the children and families running in fear? Sorry- a bit of cross-fandoming here- but the parallels just struck me. Probably because I had been reading posts on TH board earlier

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Kim
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 11:15pm

Post #19 of 34 (352 views)
Shortcut
Never mind, just found my answer [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize that the Time War took place in between Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston's doctors. I thought it was something that happened before the original series started. So the mini-episode makes sense now. Smile

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 11:30pm

Post #20 of 34 (334 views)
Shortcut
Amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the episode from start to finish, but the last 20 minutes especially were spectacular.

Also, I really enjoyed the nods to the past as well as the little glimpse to the next Doctor.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 24 2013, 3:33am

Post #21 of 34 (349 views)
Shortcut
A great review written by someone who knows their Dr Who: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...ivers-on-anniversary

Ataahua's stories

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2013, 6:02am

Post #22 of 34 (319 views)
Shortcut
Grrrr and Yay [In reply to] Can't Post

Grrrr because I don't have BBC America TongueFrown But yay! It's great to read all of the positive reviews here! I've been a bit worried. The last season or so has been a bit "meh" imho. Don't get me wrong, I think Moffat is great; many of my all-time favorite episodes were written by him - though most were during RTD producership - and he did a fantastic job with his first season or two as producer, but lately it's felt a bit phoned in. Again, just my opinion. But it sounds like he's back in top form. Yay! Smile Now I just have to wait for the DVD. Frown

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 24 2013, 9:52am

Post #23 of 34 (316 views)
Shortcut
I imagine the dvd will be available v soon [In reply to] Can't Post

Possibly in the next week or so- certainly before Christmas. Some of the 50th anniversary stuff is already out. I'm hoping that the BBC will release a boxed set of the various programmes, minisodes etc that have been shown in the past weekSmile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 24 2013, 4:50pm

Post #24 of 34 (291 views)
Shortcut
Glad you figured it out [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a bit confused at first, too, because I remember some episodes in the 70s-80s where the Doctor visits Gallifrey. And one of the Tom Baker's companions was Romana, a Time Lady. There was even some speculation here that River Song was Romana in a later regeneration, although that proved not to be the case.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 24 2013, 4:51pm

Post #25 of 34 (282 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I did [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking, that's SO Peter Jackson.... Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.