Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
When can we expect the first reviews?

haldad
Bree

Nov 23 2013, 4:51am

Post #1 of 16 (1092 views)
Shortcut
When can we expect the first reviews? Can't Post

Before December?

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Nov 23 2013, 4:55am

Post #2 of 16 (631 views)
Shortcut
Since when... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do fans trust critics? Lol? AUJ was praised and bashed enough by the critics to make my head explode

The Mitch King
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 4:57am

Post #3 of 16 (580 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully soon!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember last year but did the early reviews let out any spoilers??

tsmith675
Gondor

Nov 23 2013, 5:11am

Post #4 of 16 (621 views)
Shortcut
Last year... [In reply to] Can't Post

Reviews didn't start surfacing until about a week after the world premiere in Wellington. At least that's when the embargo was lifted. So I'd say reviews won't come until after December 2nd. That's the day I leave all forums with anything Hobbit related Smile I'm not reading any reviews until after I see it this time!

"Seriously, why was the scene with CGI dwarf ass NOT in the theatrical cut?!"

Joe20
Lorien

Nov 23 2013, 5:34am

Post #5 of 16 (586 views)
Shortcut
Well we'll get twitter reactions [In reply to] Can't Post

basically as soon as the premiere is over. That's what happened last year. Though I wouldn't read much into those as most are from people tied to the production in some way or people who wouldn't publicly say bad things about the film. But i'd say the embargo will actually lift quite soon after that. But whenever it is it isn't too far away!

Wordofmask
Lorien

Nov 23 2013, 7:52am

Post #6 of 16 (455 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if not quite like a review but reaction from twitter will be foreshadowing how good or bad the movie is. That is how it was last year and I think we shouldn't take reaction from new zealander seriously again. Most of them praised AUJ too much.

woutervandis
The Shire

Nov 23 2013, 8:56am

Post #7 of 16 (473 views)
Shortcut
December 5th [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to the press screening on december 5th in IMAX Amsterdam.

Lucky me! As a fan, I hope I can still write a decent review afterwards. Honestly, I could see Martin Freeman fart for two hours in hobbit clothes and still be entertained.

I was told that the movie simply wasn't finished sooner. Normally these screenings are two weeks before release.

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Nov 23 2013, 12:03pm

Post #8 of 16 (419 views)
Shortcut
Haven't you heard... [In reply to] Can't Post

reviews don't count anymore since AUJ was poorly received. Wink

woutervandis
The Shire

Nov 23 2013, 12:51pm

Post #9 of 16 (348 views)
Shortcut
I get your point [In reply to] Can't Post

I only do 5 reviews a year for a student website.

And this is one of them. I'm just excited I can watch the movie so early on an IMAX screen. (normally press screenings aren't shown at actual theaters)

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 2:26pm

Post #10 of 16 (349 views)
Shortcut
Some reviews where shockingly bad, though [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the reviewer who claimed that the Rivendell passage wasn't in the book and was added on just to please LOTR fans Crazy

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Skaan
Lorien

Nov 23 2013, 2:29pm

Post #11 of 16 (315 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

The reviewer who hated the movie because it wasn't like Harry Potter.

Noria
Gondor

Nov 23 2013, 2:39pm

Post #12 of 16 (320 views)
Shortcut
There's a little truth to that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I started dismissing the reviews when many of them focused on the 48 FPS and the three-film thing instead of the movie. AUJ is not flawless by any means but those two things aren't issues for me.

As well, a lot of them complained about the prologue and Unexpected Party going on too long whereas I thought those scenes were very good and not too slow at all. Many of the critics seemed to like the action sequences the best while my favourite parts were the prologue, Bag End and Rivendell.

Since the critics and I are coming to these movies from different directions, I don't expect to agree with them over DOS either. But it would be nice for PJ et al if the reviews are good.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 2:43pm

Post #13 of 16 (321 views)
Shortcut
There were countless reviews in a similar vein [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact it seemed as though some of these 'reviewers' hadn't even seen the film (and that they didn't know the book). Many of them didn't even comment on the acting, the sets, etc., but homed in on the HFR (without saying that the film was available in several formats), and so on.

I don't think I will be reading any reviews until after I have seen the film (I didn't last year, either).

In Reply To
Like the reviewer who claimed that the Rivendell passage wasn't in the book and was added on just to please LOTR fans Crazy

Thranderz
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 9:01pm

Post #14 of 16 (236 views)
Shortcut
Last year [In reply to] Can't Post

most of them came out early December Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2013, 11:50am

Post #15 of 16 (191 views)
Shortcut
One reviewer I read... [In reply to] Can't Post

...complained that Elrond's presence in the film amounted to fan-service.

A few paragraphs later, this reviewer suggested that in order for DoS to be an improvement over AUJ, there needs to be "more Gollum".

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Nov 27 2013, 11:19am

Post #16 of 16 (92 views)
Shortcut
I remember that one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty terrible stuff! Wasn't it one of the UK papers?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.