Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Character of the Week: Radagast the Brown

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Nov 23 2013, 12:20pm

Post #1 of 16 (418 views)
Shortcut
Character of the Week: Radagast the Brown Can't Post

This week's COTW is Radagast. Generally, I enjoyed the approcach of Peter Jackson to Radagast, and Sylvester Mccoy did an excellent job, in order to bring this funny, crazy, weird and maybe courageous character.

1.Did you like Sylvester Mccoy as Radagast? Should he have been less funny and more serious?
Personally, I think that Radagast is a good addition to the trilogy, and since he isn't an expanded Tolkien character, it's great to see him in the Trilogy.I liked the fact that he was funny, because it shows that even wizards have their own personality and traits. And he is not just an other Gandalf.

2.Did you like the subplot featuring Radagast(Dol Guldur)?
Yes, absolutely. One of my favorite scenes in An Unexpected Journey was Radagast, investigating Dol Guldur. It's canon to the lore, and gives more depth and seriousness to the story and explains why Gandalf helps the Dwarves to take back Erebor.Can't wait to see more of Dol Guldur in the next 2 films!

3.Did you like his appearance?
His clothing, and staff were great and showed how close Radagast was with nature. I also liked his hair (except the bird poop).

4.Do you think the bunny sled was ridiculous?
I am neither a hater nor a do I like it. I think it isn't so distracting, and since it is featured such a little in the film, I am not annoyed.

5.Are you eager to see more of Radagast in the next two films?
Absolutely yes. Can't wait to see him explore the Dungeons of Dol Guldur and the High Fells, and participate in the Dol Guldur Battle!!!

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 2:09pm

Post #2 of 16 (260 views)
Shortcut
Alrighty then [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Did you like Sylvester Mccoy as Radagast? Should he have been less funny and more serious?
At first I did not really like the way he is portrayed. It certainly differs from how I pictured him. But he grew on me and now he is one of my favourite characters in AUJ! I suppose he could be less "childish" but I like that he's very different from Saruman and Gandalf.

2. Did you like the subplot featuring Radagast(Dol Guldur)?

Sure, it was good! Unfortunately it doesn't add very much to AUJ as a stand alone movie.

3. Did you like his appearance?
Well, yes. The hat is a bit silly but overall I like the texture of his clothing and the staff, it suits his character very well. BUT the bird poop. It is too much. Everyone comments on it and I am not going to ignore the trend. DONT like the poop, not one bit.

4. Do you think the bunny sled was ridiculous?
I think it is great! The fact that he has a sled is brilliant, and I don't really mind what forces it to move. It might as well be rabbits. Rabbits are epic creatures.

5. Are you eager to see more of Radagast in the next two films?
Of course! I am totally a fan of his now and I am excited to see how his story will tie into his departure from the other trilogy. I hope he won't die!!!! Frown

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 2:58pm

Post #3 of 16 (234 views)
Shortcut
Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

1.Did you like Sylvester Mccoy as Radagast? Should he have been less funny and more serious?
Yes, I actually did like him. I could have done without the bird's nest on top of his head, but other than that, I liked him. Yes, he was a bit goofy, but I still think his kindess and goodness came through and I thought Sylvester Mccoy played him very well as a bit eccentric but nevertheless very capable wizard.

Yes. I lactually love the whole Dol Guldur subplot and look forward to seeing more of it.

Mostly yes, but I like I said I could have done without the bird's nest and poop.

Maybe a bit, but not necessarily in a bad way. I suppose they could have had him ride a horse but then it would have been a very Gandalf-like image.

Yes, I look forward to seeing more of him.

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 3:16pm

Post #4 of 16 (228 views)
Shortcut
Ok [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Sylvester Mccoy as Radagast is great.

2.. Subplot is great

3. All but the bird poo. That is.....stooo....p..i..d

4. Bunny sled was creative and awesome. Loved it.

5.Of course I wanna see more of him.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 4:46pm

Post #5 of 16 (204 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. SM was great. I thought he was a good choice. He was a littler goofier than I had pictured Radagast but I liked the contrast with Gandalf and Saruman. And I loved the way he played his love for animals.

2. Well, the DG subplot had to be introduced in some way. This was as good as any. And it showed us that Radagast, though whimsical, was also brave.

3. Thought his costuming was lovely. The two different shoes were fun.

4. I didn't like the bunny sled at first. However, Radagast has long distances to travel in this film and they had to be able to get him there quickly in a more or less regular (read non-magical) way. I understand that rabbits can travel at decent speeds when they hop to it, so using rabbits makes sense. I suppose Radagast could have a horse or even an elk, but the rabbits sort of fit him better. So I am warming up to the bunny sled.

5. As long as Radagast doesn't get any sillier I am looking forward to seeing more of him. Sometimes PJ can't let go of his inner little boy and goes over the top with his ideas. You remember how Gimli got more comical as the movies progressed ( a negative IMHO) and I would not like to see that happen to Radagast.

Noria
Gondor

Nov 23 2013, 4:53pm

Post #6 of 16 (202 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I liked him. [In reply to] Can't Post

-Yes, I very much like Radagast, except for the bird poop, the stick insect and the crossed eyes, but those kinds of things are inevitable in a PJ movie. Actually, I forgot about the poop after a couple of minutes and the other quibbles were over in seconds. Overall, I donít think he should be less funny; her is serious enough when itís required.

I liked that Radagast is different from the other two wizards, yet the same in some ways. At first he seems like an silly, frenzied wildman but when the spiders arrive and he is trying to save Sebastian, we see that he is indeed a wizard of considerable power from whom the spiders flee. Later he goes about against the Witch King and prevails, but has enough sense to flee when the Necromancer enters the picture.

- I liked it. Not only did we get to see a different side of Radagast, it also opens up that whole White Council subplot that I am very happyis included in the trilogy.

-He looked great with his once nice clothing now threadbare, his asymmetrical beard etc, his mismatched footwear. I also loved Rhosobel. Already commented on the bird poop.

-I loved the bunny sled, ridiculous as it may be. It suits Radagast completely, and who knows, maybe he used magic to help it move.

-Sure. Heís a minor character but a good one, IMO.

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 5:06pm

Post #7 of 16 (188 views)
Shortcut
Spiders [In reply to] Can't Post

I also liked that part where the spiders leave. It's as if they're drawn to the site by the black magic that's ailing the hedgehog, but when they recognize the greater power that draws the black magic out, they flee immediately.

He may consume too many mushrooms but he's certainly more than just a conjurer of cheap tricks.

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Nov 23 2013, 5:11pm

Post #8 of 16 (187 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did. The thing is he could've been less mad, just in a perfect harmony with animal world, but he's a very grotesque character and I like they way he behaves.

There's not much known of Radagast's involvement. I remember there was nothing said of his involvement in the attack on Dol Guldur as well. I acknowledge Peter had to create his own fan-fiction.

Everything save poo. It's just annoying. And I don't understand how Radagast can constantly have poo on his hair, even after finding himself under the rain.

The big bunnies do exist, but the sled..well, of course it's all a sort of a tale, but even in Tolkien's works a bunny sled wouldn't survive many miles, unless it moved on a snowy surface. I'd rather watch him sitting on a donkey.

Absolutely, I just wonder how he will participate in Dol Guldur subplot.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Nov 23 2013, 6:28pm

Post #9 of 16 (164 views)
Shortcut
Liked him [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked Radagast a lot. I did not mind his funny moments. I felt they were balanced appropriately by serious moments. We see his power as a wizard when he saved the hedgehog from the curse. WE see he takes his responsibioity seriously in his investigations before he finds the hedgehog, in his venture into Dol Guldor, and his seeking after Gandalf to make him aware of what is going on.

Yes, I thought his design was outstanding - his old worn robes, the staff like a tree branch, and the goofy hat. I also loved his whistling to communicate with birds, and that he has birds living in his hair under his hat. Such a creative touch, I thought. Which is why the bird poop did not bother me - it is a natural consequence of the nest...

I also liked his house with the tree growing through the middle, and all the fascinating clutter of magical instruments, papers, etc. It suited his appearance and personality very well.

No, I loved it. Awesome means of transportation, and minor quibbles about its feasibility seem wrong to me. He's a wizard! If it would indeed not go fast and/or break apart, some magic may be involved.

Are you eager to see more of Radagast in the next two films?

Yes, I will be interested to see what incidents and events the filmmakers have devised to flesh out the Necromancer storyline, including the role they have in it for Radagast. I just hope he lives! I don't need an explanation of why he was not in LotR, I can presume he was busy in Mirkwood.

Kim
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 7:51pm

Post #10 of 16 (163 views)
Shortcut
Rrrrrrrradagast! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Did you like Sylvester Mccoy as Radagast? Should he have been less funny and more serious?
Yes, I like Sylvesterís portrayal, and I like that he was funny and not as serious as the other wizards. Itís a nice contrast, and it was great to see his personality brought to the character.

I thought it was interesting to see Radagast in this setting. He started out kind of scatter-brained when we saw him in Rhosgobel, but then we saw a darker side when he realized a dark magic was at work, so that seemed to lead naturally into this scene. It was really creepy when he was exploring around.

I really like the design of Radagast, with exception of the bird poo. However, once I noted it, I just decided to ignore it, so I donít really see it anymore. I like how his robes are layered and tattered, and how heís a bit scatter-brained.

Have to admit, I wasnít too thrilled with the bunny sled. It just doesnít seem like it would actually work well in a forest. I keep expecting it to get caught in the underbrush. It was certainly different, but I think I would have preferred a slightly more conventional kind of transportation, like a horse.

Yes, it will be interesting to see him interacting with the White Council.

Thanks for the post!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 23 2013, 9:30pm

Post #11 of 16 (147 views)
Shortcut
Answers on my kinsspirit lol [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Did you like Sylvester Mccoy as Radagast? Should he have been less funny and more serious? Generally speaking, I thought he did a great job, even if there may have been others I would have liked better in the role. I could have done without the bird feces and the eye rolling... the stick insect too. Everything else I thought was very enjoyable. I also liked the contrast between him and the two other featured Wizards.

Yes. While I disliked the changes to the timeline, I felt it made sense that he would be the first to notice the evil in Mirkwood and to eventually involve Gandalf. For all we know, Radagast might have alerted Gandalf to growing evil in Mirkwood a thousand years earlier, so I am comfortable with it here, though the timeline alteration and condensing is vexing. I definitely enjoyed him giving the tip of his staff to the witch-king. About time one of the Wizards showed that Wraith the time of day.

Generally, though I already mentioned issues with things like the bird excrement.

Not at all. Like his house, I found it fitting and charming in a proper fairytale way. I would have preffered bobcats, but what can you do. The rabbits were fine and funny, without being entirely foolish.

Reasonably so, yes. Hope he washes his face, though.

In Reply To
This week's COTW is Radagast. Generally, I enjoyed the approcach of Peter Jackson to Radagast, and Sylvester Mccoy did an excellent job, in order to bring this funny, crazy, weird and maybe courageous character.

Personally, I think that Radagast is a good addition to the trilogy, and since he isn't an expanded Tolkien character, it's great to see him in the Trilogy.I liked the fact that he was funny, because it shows that even wizards have their own personality and traits. And he is not just an other Gandalf.

Yes, absolutely. One of my favorite scenes in An Unexpected Journey was Radagast, investigating Dol Guldur. It's canon to the lore, and gives more depth and seriousness to the story and explains why Gandalf helps the Dwarves to take back Erebor.Can't wait to see more of Dol Guldur in the next 2 films!

His clothing, and staff were great and showed how close Radagast was with nature. I also liked his hair (except the bird poop).

I am neither a hater nor a do I like it. I think it isn't so distracting, and since it is featured such a little in the film, I am not annoyed.

Absolutely yes. Can't wait to see him explore the Dungeons of Dol Guldur and the High Fells, and participate in the Dol Guldur Battle!!!

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 23 2013, 9:31pm

Post #12 of 16 (142 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Agreed and indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I also liked that part where the spiders leave. It's as if they're drawn to the site by the black magic that's ailing the hedgehog, but when they recognize the greater power that draws the black magic out, they flee immediately.

He may consume too many mushrooms but he's certainly more than just a conjurer of cheap tricks.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

stormcrow20
Gondor

Nov 24 2013, 4:27am

Post #13 of 16 (116 views)
Shortcut

I think McCoy was a great choice to play Radagast. He has great wit, and his previous chemistry with Ian McKellen is a perfect bonus.

I was very worried how Radagast would be written and portrayed. I was hoping he would be eccentric and interesting, but without being absent-minded and bumbling (think Aunt Clara from Bewitched). After seeing the movie, there were particular things I didn't care for, but they are minor. I actually enjoyed some of the goofy aspects. Overall I'm very pleased with Radagast. Though I hope we see more of his power and potential, and that the seriousness outweighs the silliness for the rest of the story.

Yes. I enjoyed seeing him inspecting his beloved forest and creatures, leading to the investigation of Dol Guldur. I really hope we see him interact with the rest of the White Council. We simply MUST see all three wizards together on screen!

Very much so. I didn't like the hat or mismatched boots at first, but I really love everything about his appearance now. Except of course, the bird-poo. The nest in his hair is fine, but you would think if he can communicate with the birds, that he would request they do their business elsewhere! I hope we see more of Sylvester's whistling talent. It's so fitting for Radagast the bird-tamer, but it was barely detectable in AUJ. Back to his appearance, his robes are perfect and wonderfully tattered. Though I wish we could see them before they became that way. His staff is great, and I love that it has a crystal in it. Though I'm not yet sure I like the idea that it's the same staff that will belong to Gandalf later on.

I did think the sled was ridiculous at first. Though I rather like it now.

Definitely! I hope Radagast has many good scenes, and that we see his capability as a wizard. And I really hope he has a good character arc with a satisfying, positive conclusion.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Nov 24 2013, 6:16am

Post #14 of 16 (101 views)
Shortcut

1) I really like him. I love that they are shedding some light on this mysterious book figure. The contrast between him, Gandalf, and Saruman is awesome.

2) It was a nice, simple way to introduce DG. I really am not a fan of Slenderman Sauron but thats not Raddy's fault!

3) Yes his appearance is exceptional and you appreciate it even more when you hear the reasoning behind it in AUJ EE.

4) Not a fan. It will bother me if it has more screen time. I mean, if Raddy can just pop up at the High Fells somehow, why the silly sled??

5) Yes Yes Yes! Wonder what the deal is with his staff. I kind of hope he dies though.... Think about this, Sauron steps forward and kills Radagast in front of the council... wow that would be emotional but a great hero moment for Sauron!

vinsanity
The Shire

Nov 24 2013, 12:48pm

Post #15 of 16 (81 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes i really liked mr. Mccoy as Radagast, he should had been little more serious, like how he is when talking to Gandalf about Dol Goldur

That was one of my favourite scenes in the AUJ, really looking forward to what comes next. I like the dark tone of it

In general yes, but I would had ditch the bird poo, the bird nest inside his hat, the stick insect and the rolling eyes smoking old toby's, and it would had been a better character. Other than that, i like his clothing, the eccentric style and the staff, really like that staff :)

Didn't bother much, that was one of the few "PJ inventions" that i didn't mind

Oh yes, i think he vanished too quickly in the first movie, should had been more scenes with him, probably if they included the High Fells scene, but i'm really looking forward to, as long he doesn't do stupid clown stuff like the stick insect stuff

Anduinel
The Shire

Nov 24 2013, 6:44pm

Post #16 of 16 (57 views)
Shortcut
+1 for the Rhosgobel Rabbits [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed his portrayal as it was. The combination of dedication to the most defenseless and absent-mindedness reminded me a lot of some of the animal rescue folks I've known.

More or less neutral on it. We'll see how it builds in DoS.

Loved the costume, especially after getting a close look at it in the Appendices. Like most everyone else, though, I thought the bird poop was way overdone.

I would have been annoyed if the rabbits had turned up in LOTR. But The Hobbit is lighter fare and the text already includes two species of talking birds (three if one doesn't split hairs about the thrush), talking spiders, and Beorn's animal servants. Alongside that company, the bunny sled doesn't bother me.

Absolutely. I hope he gets a chance to show his worth a bit more and not just be played for laughs, though.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.