Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
*spoilers* Smaug/Laketown

The Mitch King
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 5:59am

Post #1 of 10 (768 views)
Shortcut
*spoilers* Smaug/Laketown Can't Post

So I google "will Smaug die in the Desolation of Smaug" and I came across this old article on TORN actually and it had this quote from a German Magazine:

“One climax of the new trilogy, which over 2000 actors and extras worked on, is the death of the dragon. Whether Smaug’s fall will end part 2 however is yet unknown."

Now, behold my wondrous logic here…

PJ has said (somewhere) that DoS has one of the biggest scenes or set pieces he has ever been a part of. 2000 actors and extras mentioned above matches anything in LOTR as far as I can tell from the LOTR EE Appendices. You might also notice it says "ONE CLIMAX of the new trilogy…..is the death of the dragon". Obviously Smaug won't die as a climax in TABA right? So with PJ's comments and this quote is it ridiculous to suggest maybe they will slip it in this movie??

It sounds like it will be a ridiculously large, complex and incredible scene! Are they really going to push this scene into TABA?? I just can't imagine some kind of huge cliff hanger in a Peter Jackson ME movie and Smaug flying off or something would leave a lot of fans disappointed I'll bet.

Can't wait for December 13!

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 9:11am

Post #2 of 10 (328 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks that way. But I wonder if they will make Smaugs death a "ridiculously large, complex and incredible scene" because I just can't see it. Of course it will have to be epic because it is the death of the main villain, but won't it be mostly CGI? I mean, what do they need 2000 actors and extras for? They just need Bard and a hell lot of great CGI.

I am guessing the climax PJ refers to is the burning of Laketown, which MIGHT happen in DoS while the death of Smaug might happen in TABA. I really don't want that to happen, 'cause those events are linked. I agree, I don't want a "Smaug flying towards lake town"-cliffhanger and I don't think we are getting one. But the climax of DoS could be several things; death of Smaug, the orc attack on Laketown, white council at Dol Guldur, Smaug attacking the dwarves in Erebor or maybe something that is entirely created by PJ, FW and PB.

I hope it will be the death of Smaug, but it is unlikely, because they would then have to create something for the audience to come back to TABA for. Remember, those who have not read the book will probably go "What? A third one? But the dragon is dead!" because the first movie really painted Smaug as the main villain.

Besides, would you want to watch TABA just for a lot of political quarrel and no dragon? Wink

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

(This post was edited by Bernhardina on Nov 23 2013, 9:15am)

Arandir
Gondor

Nov 23 2013, 9:16am

Post #3 of 10 (306 views)
Shortcut
Unless ... [In reply to] Can't Post

the death of the dragon has been incorporated with the BoFA sequence - which would be a travesty btw....

But it might explain the large number of extras at any one time.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing 2,000 real people during the Lake-town sequence (and in DOS for that matter) Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Arandir
Gondor

Nov 23 2013, 9:19am

Post #4 of 10 (299 views)
Shortcut
Agree and agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want a "Smaug flying towards lake town"-cliffhanger

Precisely my thoughts ... and also, I can't imagine the attack on lake-town occuring in the first few minutes of TABA - totally anticlimactic.

I hope it will be the death of Smaug, but it is unlikely, because they would then have to create something for the audience to come back to TABA for.

Again, precisely what I was thinking too. Although I'm really looking forward to the sequence playing out in DOS, I can't help but think about the disadvantages of it not being in TABA Crazy

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Nov 23 2013, 9:19am)

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 9:31am

Post #5 of 10 (316 views)
Shortcut
2000 actors and extras !!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I very much doubt that figure even as the total who have worked in all 3 films.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 10:19am

Post #6 of 10 (288 views)
Shortcut
Sauron and Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hope it will be the death of Smaug, but it is unlikely, because they would then have to create something for the audience to come back to TABA for. Remember, those who have not read the book will probably go "What? A third one? But the dragon is dead!" because the first movie really painted Smaug as the main villain.

Besides, would you want to watch TABA just for a lot of political quarrel and no dragon? Wink

But don't forget TABA will have the Dol Guldur battle for all we know. Sauron and Smaug might change the role of the main villain during the end of DoS.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 23 2013, 12:35pm

Post #7 of 10 (251 views)
Shortcut
I still go with and hope for... (possible spoiler) [In reply to] Can't Post

the "Battle under the Trees". An army of Orcs (the one we see in the trailer) from Dol Guldur attacks the Woodland Realm. A huge battle although not as big as the "Battle of Five Armies". This is the moment when Thranduil ends his isolation policy because he accepts that this won't help his people.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 23 2013, 3:35pm

Post #8 of 10 (168 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink I like the idea!

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 23 2013, 4:02pm

Post #9 of 10 (185 views)
Shortcut
I think this has been confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I read in a synopsis of DoS somewhere that Thranduil's realm will be assailed by the forces of Dol Guldur during film 2. I think that would explain the large numbers of orcs we see marching out from the ruined fortress in the trailers. I think it's a great way of alluding to the scene they didn't manage to fit into FotR with the elves of Lorien annihilating the host of Moria on their borders. That was such a nail-biting sequence in the book, with the company hiding up in the flet and Gollum skulking about. Would have been wonderful to see on screen.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2013, 9:09pm

Post #10 of 10 (43 views)
Shortcut
Yup. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Besides, would you want to watch TABA just for a lot of political quarrel and no dragon?"

This is why i think Smaug will make it to TaBA. Finishing that story thread so soon in DoS seems to me like it would completely deflate the momentum of the trilogy.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.