Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fans from Sweden

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 22 2013, 2:04pm

Post #1 of 16 (531 views)
Shortcut
Fans from Sweden Can't Post

So SF Bio dropped some very dissapointing news today (at least for those of us who expected to line up for midnight screening tickets) - they will release the tickets at the same time on the internet and at the theatres, making it unnecessary to wait outside for a pretty much guaranteed ticket to the midnight screening. This means that the one with the fastest internet connection and who's willing to refresh the page the fastest at the time of the release will take the best seats. Ill news, because this means that people looking for a profit (by purchasing lots of tickets and selling them for a much higher price on sites like Blocket) will benefit from this greatly. For instance, the 3D HFR ticket to the midnight screening last year cost 175 SEK. On blocket, I saw people selling these tickets for 650 SEK. So you can imagine the influx of these tickets when you don't even have to make an effort to get the good stuff.

It's also very dissapointing because I can't be the only one who was looking forward to waiting in line with lots of other great folks, I enjoyed it last year even if it was cold, got to meet plenty of interesting people and everyone was very passionate. Total bummer, because I hate the idea of Tolkien fans losing these spots to casual moviegoers.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Nov 22 2013, 2:05pm)

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 22 2013, 2:14pm

Post #2 of 16 (276 views)
Shortcut
As I understand it [In reply to] Can't Post

Different cinemas will open at different times? So if they release the tickets online by lunch maybe some cinemas have been opened since the morning and sell the tickets only to those who have been standing in line? At least that is how I thought it was going to be.
Where did you get this information, if I may ask?

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 22 2013, 2:19pm

Post #3 of 16 (283 views)
Shortcut
Will it really be that bad? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This means that the one with the fastest internet connection and who's willing to refresh the page the fastest at the time of the release will take the best seats. Ill news, because this means that people looking for a profit (by purchasing lots of tickets and selling them for a much higher price on sites like Blocket) will benefit from this greatly.

Here in the UK, we haven't had to queue for cinema tickets for years (I've never even done it!). Everything is done on the interent when it comes to cinema tickets - you chose the cinema, the date, the time and the seat. And I've never had any problems, especially when it comes to The Hobbit. The first screening at my cinema still isn't sold out, and there aren't that many in the area. There are still "good seats" as well (right in the centre of the room). I'm sure this new system for you will work just as well as it does for us. Don't fret.

I doubt you'll have any problems at all. Unless you're at the front of a queue then there's no guarantee which seats you will get. The same is true for the internet. I can't imagine there will be thousands of people sitting there waiting for them to be released only - only the very dedicated fans.

But good luck. I hope it isn't too bad (or expensive!)

Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 22 2013, 2:20pm)

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 22 2013, 2:31pm

Post #4 of 16 (251 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Really? In Sweden there are hardly any lines ever when they release tickets for new movies EXCEPT for Jacksons Tolkien adaptations. Indeed, days before ROTK ticket release in my hometown (which is not the biggest town in Sweden) the line went from the cinema, down two streets and circled the church, people even camped overnight in the line to get tickets. Surely something like that must have happened in London?

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 22 2013, 2:35pm

Post #5 of 16 (244 views)
Shortcut
The line for AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Was very long, with hundreds of people (where I waited. I was queuing for around 14 hours, and I wasn't nearly first in line, some people had been there long before I arrived). And when you book seats online in Sweden you book the exact seats, so it doesn't work like in the US where you pick the seats as you enter the cinema.

As Berhardina implied, I think the simple truth is that PJ's Tolkien adaptations have lot more fans up here than in England, as of right now.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Nov 22 2013, 2:39pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 22 2013, 2:47pm

Post #6 of 16 (228 views)
Shortcut
You're probably right [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As Berhardina implied, I think the simple truth is that PJ's Tolkien adaptations have lot more fans up here than in England, as of right now.

But it's probably also a cultural thing, we don't queue for tickets for any films, and haven't done for years. Harry Potter was probably the last time, but even then it was only for the first couple of films.

When are the tickets released (and what time)? I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think it will be. Smile If you queued for 14 hours, then a couple of clicks on the internet won't be any trouble at all.

My fingers are crossed for you. I understand your frustration. I'd love to queue for tickets. My cinema system kept crashing on me, and I ended up with 14 opening day tickets for DOS. Wink If all else fails, just keep clicking!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 22 2013, 2:48pm)

DuBekar
Rivendell

Nov 22 2013, 3:03pm

Post #7 of 16 (224 views)
Shortcut
Do you know [In reply to] Can't Post

When exactly the tickets will be released on the 29? Early in the morning or at lunch?

I have too book at least 8 tickets, maybe more :(

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuiviènen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 22 2013, 3:48pm

Post #8 of 16 (189 views)
Shortcut
My local Odeon.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... has started booking for The Hobbit. It says 'Film length 0 minutes'!

Also it isn't offering a 2D option. Means I have to decide between booking 25 miles away to see HFR 3D, or waiting to see if the local one will have 2D. Mind you, if it's only 0 minutes long.....

It's all decisions! Crazy

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 22 2013, 4:35pm

Post #9 of 16 (158 views)
Shortcut
No idea, but my guess is early morning. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also counted on buying at least 8 tickets before this announcement, or more like 12-13, but now when it's this way its more up in the air, maybe 12-13 tickets in a row will be too much to expect.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Nov 22 2013, 4:35pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 22 2013, 5:09pm

Post #10 of 16 (148 views)
Shortcut
UK: I actually bought my DoS ticket at the cinema [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in the area of the Odeon Leicester Square and went to the booking office and just bought it there.

Also, plenty of people queue for tickets at my local cinema.

In Reply To
Here in the UK, we haven't had to queue for cinema tickets for years (I've never even done it!). Everything is done on the interent when it comes to cinema tickets - you chose the cinema, the date, the time and the seat.
Smile

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Nov 22 2013, 5:10pm)

DuBekar
Rivendell

Nov 22 2013, 5:18pm

Post #11 of 16 (144 views)
Shortcut
Yeah.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't know Why SF has decided to not do like they did last year with the lines. They say it's because of "bad preperations", god they KNOW this is the movie people been waiting for this year, they could have planned and be prepared or anything :P

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuiviènen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

(This post was edited by DuBekar on Nov 22 2013, 5:19pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 22 2013, 5:59pm

Post #12 of 16 (125 views)
Shortcut
I agree, abysmal planning by SF [In reply to] Can't Post

Their "explanation" of why they didn't have any time to do it is horribly bad. They've known the release date of DOS for several months now.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 22 2013, 7:11pm

Post #13 of 16 (98 views)
Shortcut
Last year ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know about Odeon, but Cineworld changed their times once they knew exactly which screenings were in 3D, HFR and 2D. I bought my tickets when they first went on sale, and that ended up being a 3D screening. They were quite helpful to change it to a HFR screening.

This time I'm going the other way. I want to see DOS in 2D first, so I hope I can change it again!

Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 22 2013, 7:18pm

Post #14 of 16 (99 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to see it in 2D first.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really do want to see the HFR 3D, which I loved, but I thought it would be easier not to have to take it all in at once. Also easier to see it locally than to trek 25 miles just before Christmas.

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 22 2013, 7:32pm

Post #15 of 16 (90 views)
Shortcut
That's really a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how here in Finland our local cinema is really making the queueing an event in its own right (which they have done since RotK). The people who have been queueing will get a number at 10pm the previous evening so they don't have to stay in line, and then the cinema will be open all night and they'll be showing AUJ and several other movies during the night - and the first tickets are of course sold in the theatre before the online sales open. One guy has been

I'm only going to see AUJ at midnight because I've grown to love the comforts of my own bed, but I think it's a great that they're doing this for the fans. I went around earlier today and the line was already 3/4 around the whole cinema complex.

peterLF
Rivendell

Nov 27 2013, 1:02am

Post #16 of 16 (27 views)
Shortcut
Disappointing for fans indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally never had a problem, since I've never been a fan of 2 things - the largest theatre in my city (terrible acoustics) and 3D movies. It gives me almost free hands to pick a seat to the midnight premiere in my favorite theatre :-)

It seems like the easiest ways to make money. Set up marathons, food for people in line, etc - but I guess not every place has a manager with initiative.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.