Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - November 22

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 22 2013, 10:08am

Views: 118
Shortcut
TIME - November 22 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

November 22, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. A deal is offered.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."About midday the banners of the Forest and the Lake were seen to be borne forth again. A company of twenty was approaching. At the beginning of the narrow way they laid aside sword and spear, and came on towards the Gate... ...the dwarves saw that among them were both Bard and the Elvenking, before whom an old man wrapped in cloak and hood bore a strong casket of iron-bound wood.
..."Hail Thorin!" said Bard. "Are you still of the same mind?"
..."My mind does not change with the rising and setting of a few suns... ...Did you come to ask me idle questions? Still the elf-host has not departed as I bade! Till then you come in vain to bargain with me...."
..."...What of the Arkenstone of Thráin?" said he, and at the same moment the old man opened the casket and held aloft the jewel. The light leapt from his hand, bright and white in the morning.
...Then Thorin was stricken dumb with amazement and confusion....
......Thorin at length broke the silence, and his voice was thick with wrath. "That stone was my father's, and is mine," he said. "Why should I purchase my own?" But wonder overcame him and he added: "But how came you by the heirloom of my house—if there is need to ask such a question of thieves?"
..."We are not thieves," Bard answered. "Your own we will give back in return for our own."
..."How came you by it?" shouted Thorin in gathering rage.
..."I gave it to them," squeaked Bilbo... ...peeping over the wall, by now, in a dreadful fright.
..."You! You!" cried Thorin, turning upon him and grasping him with both hands. "You miserable hobbit! You undersized—burglar!" he shouted at a loss for words, and he shook poor Bilbo like a rabbit.
..."By the beard of Durin! I wish I had Gandalf here! Curse him for his choice of you... ...As for you I will throw you to the rocks!" he cried and lifted Bilbo in his arms.
..."Stay! Your wish is granted!" said a voice. The old man with the casket threw aside his hood and cloak. "Here is Gandalf! And none too soon it seems. If you don't like my Burglar, please don't damage him. Put him down, and listen first to what he has to say!"
..."You all seem in league!" said Thorin dropping Bilbo on the top of the wall. "Never again will I have dealings with any wizard or his friends. What have you to say, you descendant of rats?"
..."Dear me! Dear me!" said Bilbo. "I am sure this is all very uncomfortable. You may remember saying that I might choose my own fourteenth share? Perhaps I took it too literally... ...The time was, all the same, when you seemed to think that I had been of some service. Descendant of rats, indeed! Is this all the service of you and your family that I was promised, Thorin? Take it that I have disposed of my share as I wished, and let it go at that!"
..."I will... ...And I will let you go at that—and may we never meet again!"
......And so Bilbo was swung down from the wall, and departed with nothing for all his trouble, except the armour which Thorin had given him already. More than one of the dwarves in their hearts felt shame and pity at his going.
..."Farewell!" he cried to them. "We may meet again as friends."
..."Be off!" called Thorin. "You have mail upon you, which was made by my folk, and is too good for you. It cannot be pierced by arrows; but if you do not hasten, I will sting your miserable feet.""

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Subject User Time
TIME - November 22 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Nov 22 2013, 10:08am
    Oooh.... Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Nov 22 2013, 4:07pm
        *goosebumps* Oh yeah! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Nov 23 2013, 2:11pm
    TIME - November 23 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Nov 23 2013, 1:24pm
        TIME - November 24 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Nov 24 2013, 12:35pm
            TIME - November 25 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Nov 25 2013, 10:14am
                TIME - November 26 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Nov 26 2013, 10:14am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.