Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Monty Python reuniting for stage show!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2013, 7:32pm

Post #1 of 12 (163 views)
Shortcut
Monty Python reuniting for stage show! Can't Post

According to various media outlets, the five Pythons are getting back together at long last. They were supposed to collaborate for a film called "Absolutely Anything" last year (which, like everything else, had Benedict Cumberbatch attached), but according to the New Zealand Herald that project has "fallen through".

So excited! This is almost as good as my dream of the Pythons and Paul McCartney/Ring Starro joining up to form a comedy musical super-group. TongueEvil

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 20 2013, 7:36pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Nov 20 2013, 10:34pm

Post #2 of 12 (114 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... not sure about that [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a Python fan back in the day, but I hope they tread carefully. Some of that humour will not have aged well - in fact some of them haven't aged particularly well! Michael Palin is a national treasure, bless him, but I'm not so sure about the others. Let's hope for their sake it's a success, or it'll just be embarrassing...

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2013, 10:52pm

Post #3 of 12 (106 views)
Shortcut
..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Great comedy is great comedy and stands the test of time, regardless of age (and that goes for comedians as well). Why would their being older or our being in a different decade (and...century) dilute their creative potency?

John Cleese, in particular, one of the great comedic minds of his time (in addition to Python, he's responsible for Fawlty Towers and A Fish Called Wanda), has still been active in recent years and seems to be as sharp as ever (a number of interviews on youtube would substantiate this).

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2013, 11:05pm

Post #4 of 12 (109 views)
Shortcut
And [In reply to] Can't Post

the success of "Spamelot" on-stage would suggest that Python's humor still has a wide appeal.

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 12:24am

Post #5 of 12 (120 views)
Shortcut
I have mixed feelings as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure, maybe their comedy stands the test of time.

But will a stage show be the same without Graham Chapman?

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2013, 1:40am

Post #6 of 12 (195 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

That has been a major hurdle in organizing a reunion for years, but it seems they've managed to find something (or at least, hopefully) that will make it work.

Agreed that it won't be the same (and the other five are not who they were when Python was still together), but it could well work out in a different way!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 21 2013, 1:42am)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 2:56am

Post #7 of 12 (113 views)
Shortcut
A radio commentator I heard today said... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that right along they've excelled in playing stuffy, elderly Brits. Now that they are...

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2013, 7:45am

Post #8 of 12 (84 views)
Shortcut
I mostly agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Some comedy that was truly groundbreaking and funny "in the day" somehow just doesn' t hold up. I've often been disappointed when I've come across an old TV show or movie that I loved when it first came out but feel that everything is dated now. That is not the case with Monty Python, however. Yeah, some jokes fall flat - let's face it, not everything worked at the time - but for the most part, the films and show are still brilliant. My sister's kids and most of their friends - all of whom are in their twenties - love Monty Python.Cool

As for the age of the guys, they may not be able to do the physical stuff like "Ministry of Silly Walks", but I think they are still more than capable of delivering laughs. Graham Chapman will be missed, though.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21 2013, 8:27am

Post #9 of 12 (79 views)
Shortcut
Ministry of [In reply to] Can't Post

hip replacements?
Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21 2013, 8:30am

Post #10 of 12 (89 views)
Shortcut
If you are a Python fan, [In reply to] Can't Post

and you haven't seen "Monty Python: Almost the Truth, The Lawyer's Cut", I would urge you to do so immediately.

Three discs and nearly eight hours of wall to wall Python fabulousness.

Tintallė
Gondor

Nov 21 2013, 2:53pm

Post #11 of 12 (74 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Nov 22 2013, 9:50am

Post #12 of 12 (80 views)
Shortcut
Graham Chapman [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember the surviving Pythons being interviewed for a TV special once and they brought an urn that was (supposedly) filled with Graham Chapman's ashes. This, of course, got spilled during the course of the interview and had to be cleaned up with a Dust Buster. I would imagine that they'd do something similar to give Graham a presence in the stage show or they would use video of him in between the live segments.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.