Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thorin (*SPOILER*)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

shaundobson
Rivendell

Nov 21 2013, 5:20pm

Post #1 of 31 (1249 views)
Shortcut
Thorin (*SPOILER*) Can't Post

Thorin's death

I personally believe that Thorin's death could resemble the same emotion of Boromir's death in FOTR
Thorin has never seen eye to eye with bilbo, and judging by the DOS trailers he gets even nastier towards him.
So in the BOT5A.. I beleive perhaps Azog will go after biblo during the battle, and with Thorin seeing that bilbo is looking certain to die at the hands of azog, he will come to the rescue and perhaps take the blow himself.
This will result in Thorin redeeming himself, as Boromir did by helping Merry and Pippin, and will be a really nice send off for his final death

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Nov 21 2013, 5:23pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 21 2013, 5:21pm

Post #2 of 31 (678 views)
Shortcut
UMMMMMM [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure this needs a
SPOILER ALERT

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2013, 5:24pm

Post #3 of 31 (603 views)
Shortcut
Done. [In reply to] Can't Post

(Remember, folks, there are still some who haven't read the books! Wink)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Thranderz
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 5:31pm

Post #4 of 31 (575 views)
Shortcut
You'd think [In reply to] Can't Post

they would have after nearly 80 years Wink

I simply walked into Mordor.

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 5:36pm

Post #5 of 31 (543 views)
Shortcut
I am not so sure [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
they would have after nearly 80 years Wink

They are really long books. The Hobbit especially. I started reading it in the 80's and I'm still only on page 188.

Not really...

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 5:37pm

Post #6 of 31 (532 views)
Shortcut
Is it really a spoiler if the book was published in 1937? [In reply to] Can't Post

One wonders if Homer's The Iliad also needs spoiler tags when talking about it? Cool

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2013, 5:44pm

Post #7 of 31 (553 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps (spoiler) [In reply to] Can't Post

But they still have to have Thorin give his dying speech to Bilbo, so they'll have to do something to be sure he doesn't die out on the battlefield, or I'll be upset. Heck, I'm already upset! I don't want Thorin, Kili, and Fili to die at all,Frown but that seems pretty much guaranteed at this point so I guess I'm bringing a box of tissues to the theater next year! I sure hope they don't go killing off any other characters I like (Tauriel or anyone that doesn't die in the book) or I'll be a crying mess! :'(

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2013, 5:49pm

Post #8 of 31 (508 views)
Shortcut
I think it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've run into a number of people who haven't read the book yet, and I already accidently ruined the end for one of them when I failed to use a spoiler warning while talking about the ending on a different, not hobbit related site! She said she doesn't think she wants to finish the book anymore because of it.Unsure So, yes, apparently it is a spoiler.

BTW, I haven't read The Iliad so don't go telling me the ending!Wink

Thranderz
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 5:52pm

Post #9 of 31 (496 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm up to where Azog fights Thorin after they escape Goblin Town Wink. Brilliantly written....Evil

I simply walked into Mordor.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 6:05pm

Post #10 of 31 (534 views)
Shortcut
No, I'm sorry, but they certainly won't for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Before LOTR was produced I often saw Sean Bean in fairly minor parts on UK TV, generally playing the part of assorted unsavoury crooks, and because I see Bean as always playing himself, Boromir did not do very much for me in FOTR.

Richard Armitage, on the other hand, is a far better actor, with a much greater range, and I think he will be able to convey the scene far better, with much more impact (for me, anyway). Can't say that I'm looking forward to it that much, simply because I expect that it will be powerful… Unimpressed

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 6:07pm

Post #11 of 31 (456 views)
Shortcut
Well worth reading – you need to choose a good translation… [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
BTW, I haven't read The Iliad so don't go telling me the ending!Wink

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2013, 6:33pm

Post #12 of 31 (459 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Sean Bean is a good enough actor but, although I felt sorry for Boromir since he became a human pincushion and all, I've still never been moved by his death in the book or movie because I didn't like his character that much to start with.

However, I like Thorin despite his flaws and I like Richard Armitage as a person and I think, just like you, that he has the ability to make Thorin's death a powerfully, emotional scene. I'm not looking forward to it either, but I imagine it will be an award worthy scene.

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 6:34pm

Post #13 of 31 (475 views)
Shortcut
Sean Bean absolutely knocked Boromir out of the park, IMO. [In reply to] Can't Post

He plays him as more than an "unsavory crook", so I think that the charge of Bean essentially playing himself is both unfair and inaccurate. Just look at his scene with Aragorn in Lothlorien (extremely well-acted by Bean), in addition to the Osgiliath flashback. There are so many layers.

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 8:28pm

Post #14 of 31 (354 views)
Shortcut
I agree there [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Sean Bean's performance that really got me enjoying the character of Boromir. Boromir has got to be one of my favorites from Tolkien's world.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 21 2013, 8:43pm

Post #15 of 31 (337 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Growing up with the Goonies and Goldeneye I was rather surprised at first to see the 2 Sean's in a fantasy film, but both absolutely knocked their roles out of the park (even if Boromir's totally different accent to Faramir bothers me more than it should), and as someone who read the book after the film, they came very close to the spirit of the characters (as I interpreted them anyway), if Jackson were ever to do a Ultimate Edition of LOTR I'd be very intrigued to see Bean's screen test and any deleted scenes with Boromir.

Sean Bean is my Richard Armitage.

I don't have much to say.

emre43
Lorien

Nov 21 2013, 9:24pm

Post #16 of 31 (304 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He plays him as more than an "unsavory crook", so I think that the charge of Bean essentially playing himself is both unfair and inaccurate. Just look at his scene with Aragorn in Lothlorien (extremely well-acted by Bean), in addition to the Osgiliath flashback. There are so many layers.

Kim
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 10:14pm

Post #17 of 31 (289 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Sean Bean as an actor, but I never really liked Boromir, so I didn't respond too much to his death. Richard, on the other hand, does this kind of conflicted hero very well and I think he will do an excellent job with this scene. At the same time, I'm dreading actually seeing it. Stocking up on tissues now. Unsure

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Nov 22 2013, 1:52am

Post #18 of 31 (250 views)
Shortcut
You've got to be joking.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sean bean is ten times the actor Richard A is. Thorin just seems too bland....I get it already...your a grumpy dwarf.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2013, 3:10am

Post #19 of 31 (222 views)
Shortcut
Grumpy dwarves are like onions... [In reply to] Can't Post

...They have layers. (Shameless Shrek reference)

Admittedly, Boromir had layers too, but no matter how good an actor Sean Bean may be, I just didn't like the character. I did however, like Sean Bean as Ian Howe in National Treasure. I haven't seen him in any other roles than those two.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 22 2013, 3:16am

Post #20 of 31 (223 views)
Shortcut
Is he though? [In reply to] Can't Post

I get the sense that he's rather one-dimensional. The great thing is that he's very good at playing a very specific character type. The bad thing is that you rarely see him diverge from that.

I think both actors give similar performances, but RA takes the cake for fully immersing himself in his role.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Queen of Erebor
Lorien

Nov 22 2013, 3:39am

Post #21 of 31 (216 views)
Shortcut
I love everything about Thorin... [In reply to] Can't Post

including his flaws, so I'm pretty sure I'll be a mess after viewing his death (I'm already planning on taking a couple of travel packs of Kleenex tissue to the theater next year, but I'm wondering if I should just take the whole box instead). Boromir's death, on the other hand, didn't move me at all. It's not that I dislike Boromir, but he's never been on the top of my favorite characters list.

With Thorin, it's not just the character, but the actor as well. For some reason, my Tolkien favorites always end up crossing over into real life (in contrast, my PotC favorites hardly ever do). From Frodo to Thorin, I'm always a fan of both the character and the actor, and I'm always moved when something bad happens to them. When I first re-read The Lord of the Rings (after about eight years or so), the one scene that really made me cry when I was more into Frodo was when he got wrapped up in Shelob's webs. Got me every time. Now that I'm more into Thorin (and I know that Frodo isn't really dead), this scene doesn't bother me that much (in either the book or the movie version).Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 22 2013, 6:39am

Post #22 of 31 (193 views)
Shortcut
Is it really necessary to slam the actor just because we don't like the role? [In reply to] Can't Post

That goes for Sean Bean and Richard Armitage both.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 22 2013, 7:17am

Post #23 of 31 (200 views)
Shortcut
He glowers magnificently. [In reply to] Can't Post

The real problem is that we have as yet only seen one facial expression from Thorin. Having seen RA in North and South, I know he's capable of at least one more.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 22 2013, 1:26pm

Post #24 of 31 (142 views)
Shortcut
Oh come on, that's rather damning, isn't it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

For one thing, we have seen Thorin smile as well, several times - even as a grumpy dwarf Richard Armitage doesn't only glower.

And generally, the man is a fine actor with a lot of performances to his credit. It's true that he glowered a lot in North and South, but then, that part calls for an awful lot of glowering....!

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 22 2013, 1:28pm

Post #25 of 31 (132 views)
Shortcut
No it isn't - I couldn't agree more.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't have to be a competition.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.