Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
The Bridge Direct finally makes a statement on The Hobbit toys

stormcrow20
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 10:03pm

Post #1 of 10 (370 views)
Shortcut
The Bridge Direct finally makes a statement on The Hobbit toys Can't Post

The Bridge Direct has posted on their Facebook page a complete guide to their Desolation of Smaug line of action figures (6 inch scale Radagast, Azog and Legolas, and the 3.75 inch Mirkwood Hero pack).

In a follow-up comment to that post, TBD offered this statement:

"We know many fans would like to see a wider range of characters offered for DOS, however this is the complete line for this film. We are huge fans of LOTR and Hobbit, and would like nothing more than to release figures of every character, but there are many factors that determine how many we can effectively produce. For example, retailers have specific dates when new product goes into stores. To meet those dates, our development process starts 18 months before figures are in stores. This provides time for sculpting, painting, revisions, studio approval, manufacturing time, shipping, etc. Therefore, if character appearance is not finalized that far in advance (particularly for digitally generated/animated characters), we cannot make them in time for retail launch. There is also the matter of minimum order quantities in manufacturing: we have to make 10s of thousands of pieces of each character! So if we include 10 characters in the 6" figure assortment, that's over 100k pieces of product, minimum. If our retailers can't commit to buying that many pieces, we have to cut down the number of characters in the assortment to make the order quantity viable. It was always our goal to offer the widest variety of characters possible in both scales, within the parameters of how much our retailers can sell. Based on sales of product from Unexpected Journey, we found that there was a larger market for the 6" figures and therefore have been able to offer more characters in that scale. We know the Tolkien fan base is passionate and appreciate their continued interest in our line. We also hope that the fans can appreciate our passion and commitment to quality, as well as the conditions that make it impossible to offer every character in every scale. Looking forward to the film and a successful sell-through of the figures at retail so we can offer more cool stuff for part 3!"

(This post was edited by stormcrow20 on Nov 14 2013, 10:05pm)

stormcrow20
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 11:24pm

Post #2 of 10 (259 views)
Shortcut
Wave 2 reviews \ In stock at Toys R Us website [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are some reviews on Wave 2 for anyone interested, beginning with two from our own Elessar here at TORn:

TORn's Radagast review

TORn's Azog Review (the Azog figure reviewed here is the Comic-con exclusive version which includes the fancy box, Thror's head, Azog's unsevered arm, and a sword. The retail version is the same figure, but only includes his mace and the iron-clawed arm.)

Legolas (and Tauriel) review The Legolas figures for AUJ and DOS are exactly the same.

Mirkwood Hero Pack review

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug action figures are exclusive to Toys R Us, and for those that can't find them in-store, they are now available at the TRU website:

6" Collector Figure Radagast

6" Collector Figure Azog

6" Collector Figure Legolas

3.75" Figure Box Set: Mirkwood Hero Pack includes Thranduil, Legolas, Tauriel, Fili and Kili.

All Hobbit figures currently listed at Toys R Us

Shagrat
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 11:54pm

Post #3 of 10 (226 views)
Shortcut
That's the complete line?! [In reply to] Can't Post

How pathetic. One of the biggest films in years for action figure merchandise and they completely mess it up. ToyBiz put this shambolic company to shame. How anyone can continue to defend them is beyond me.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Nov 14 2013, 11:57pm)

bgiles73
The Shire

Nov 14 2013, 11:56pm

Post #4 of 10 (229 views)
Shortcut
Disappointing [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I gave this company the benefit of the doubt and thought that maybe it was the fact that this movie was split into two, but this is the biggest BS corporate response I have ever heard. If anyone at Warner Brothers marketing they will get NECA lined up for a really great line of 6" figures by the time this trilogy wraps up!

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Nov 15 2013, 5:05am

Post #5 of 10 (206 views)
Shortcut
dwarves? [In reply to] Can't Post

What happened to the 3.75 inch dwarves that they showed this summer? I didn't pay that much attention to all the details, but I assumed they were going to be part of this wave. I've been pretty disappointed with this line of toys and haven't even bothered getting any other than the dwarves because I've always wanted a complete set of all 13.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Nov 15 2013, 5:05am)

stormcrow20
Gondor

Nov 15 2013, 5:35am

Post #6 of 10 (222 views)
Shortcut
The dwarf figures [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone was lamenting on TBD's Facebook that we may not get the Company of Thorin Oakenshield "Epic Journey" 15-pack that was proposed at New York Toy Fair back in February, and TBD commented:

"you never know, there is still a 3rd movie, and 3rd wave of product to come!"

I believe this is the only comment they have made on any specific product since Comic-Con, other than to say 6" Bolg was apparently canceled due to a possible design change. I think most everyone assumed the remaining dwarves among others would be part of Wave 2. We didn't know otherwise until the press release on the October 15th release date.

(This post was edited by stormcrow20 on Nov 15 2013, 5:38am)

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 15 2013, 1:50pm

Post #7 of 10 (184 views)
Shortcut
Posted to the FP [In reply to] Can't Post

Its a bit of a bummer how things have gone so far. Unsure

1415dr
The Shire

Nov 15 2013, 3:50pm

Post #8 of 10 (175 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

The biggest movie of the year released 2 weeks before Christmas... and they can't sell 100,000 action figures? Are there not at least 2,000 kids who like the hobbit in each U.S. state? That's not counting adult collectors and the worldwide market.

What a wasted opportunity. I guess we ought to limit our expectations on ever getting a Smaug toy.

stormcrow20
Gondor

Nov 22 2013, 7:08am

Post #9 of 10 (198 views)
Shortcut
TBD: the mystery continues [In reply to] Can't Post

The Bridge Direct had several figures on display at San Diego Comic-con that were intended for Wave 2, but have not been released. For 3.75 inch scale, we saw Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Radagast and Azog. And for 6 inch scale, Yazneg and Bolg (the latter has since been canceled due to an apparent change in character design).

Recently, when asked on The Bridge Direct's Facebook page if "the other figures shown at SDCC [have] been tooled* yet" TBD answered:

"only the figures in our current lines have been tooled. The others were hand painted models that we used for approval from the studio. Since retail orders were way down this year, we couldn't spend the thousands of dollars it costs to tool each one. Hopefully we still have a chance to release them next year."

However, multiple people have reported finding 3.75 inch Radagast and Azog in the UK. The Bridge Direct have previously stated that they share molds with Vivid Imaginations, the European distributor for the Hobbit toys. Vivid also released 6 inch Yazneg last year as part of Wave 1. Therefore, tooling exists for at least those three figures.

* I believe "tooled" means that a steel mold has been created of the product and/or that the factory has been prepared for the manufacturing process.

Neekloz Brownbeard
The Shire

Nov 26 2013, 1:15pm

Post #10 of 10 (114 views)
Shortcut
disappointing to say the least... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was lucky enough to go to the London Toy Fair, and a representative of Vivid said the Hobbit stuff had been selling very well...
I can confirm that the 3 3/4 Azog and Radagast are listed on uk ebay and on Amazon.uk as in stock, and the 6 inch Yazneg is still
available through Toysrus.uk at 6.99! I paid 12 quid for him originally! Still, can't complain, at least I got him. I'll have in hand pics of the 3 3/4 Azog and Radagast next week,
if people want to see them? I'm surprised that the white warg isn't being released, as that is just a repaint of the brown warg from the
Fimbul/warg 2 pack. Sad to think that we had received at something like 70 figures from Toy Biz, by The Two Towers. Thanks a lot,
Marvel, for folding Toy Biz.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.