Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the Kennedy anniversary reading thread

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 19 2013, 3:22pm

Post #1 of 20 (286 views)
Shortcut
It's the Kennedy anniversary reading thread Can't Post

Since I live in the North Texas Dallas-Fort Worth area, I'm all too well aware that this Friday marks 50 years since the assassination of President Kennedy in Dallas. Every media outlet in the area is doing special programs and articles about the tragedy, and there will be a commemoration ceremony on Friday. Unfortunately (or appropriately) the forecast is for cold, rainy weather.

The father of one of my friends was the minister who gave the benediction at the Fort Worth prayer breakfast that day.

I was a school-child in Ohio at the time, and would have fallen over in a dead faint had a seer with a crystal ball told me that I would in time have a personal connection to Parkland Hospital (where Kennedy died)---my first granddaughter was born there.

With this cloud of sober reminiscence hanging over the area, no surprise that I went ahead after last week's In the Company of Cheerful Ladies and read Blue Shoes and Happiness, the next book in Alexander McCall Smith's Ladies No 1 Detective Agency series. I'd read Blue Shoes before, when I was jumping into and out of the series out of order, but am now enjoying reading them all in sequence.

Again, the plots are gentle and the feelings positive. When Mma Makutsi has a misunderstanding with her fiancé, she's depressed for a while, but then the misunderstanding is resolved. The workers at a local game reserve are afraid of something, but Mma Ramotswe's new assistant, Mr. Polopetsi, figures out what the problem is and deals with it---if not quite in the way she'd have liked. A local doctor is perhaps behaving unethically, as is the woman running the dining hall at a local college, but, again, both issues are resolved in an intelligent manner.

I'm holding off re-reading the next book in the series, The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, in order to read a very good book about the ancient history of Britain. I'll report on that next week.

What have you been reading?

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 19 2013, 5:25pm

Post #2 of 20 (171 views)
Shortcut
That reminds me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to look out for Ask Not, the third "Nate Heller" book in Max Allan Collins' trilogy of novels connected to Marilyn Monroe, JFK and Bobby Kennedy. I know that it is in stores, but the last Barnes & Noble I visited didn't have it in stock.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 19 2013, 5:51pm

Post #3 of 20 (168 views)
Shortcut
Dumbledore is [In reply to] Can't Post

dead. No matter how many times I read that chapter or the one of his funeral, I get tears in my eyes.

(I'm now onto book seven.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 19 2013, 5:51pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 19 2013, 6:13pm

Post #4 of 20 (171 views)
Shortcut
I was born between the Kennedy assassinations. [In reply to] Can't Post

And was too young really to remember either Bobby or MLK.

I started the audiobook of "The Curse of the Pharoahs," by Elizabeth Peters. Since I'd just read the first and third of the series, I thought I'd go ahead and get through the second one.

I also started "The Masqueraders" by Georgette Heyer on my Kindle. I've tried to picture Richard Armitage as Sir Anthony, but he doesn't really fit the character. And I don't want him to fit Mr. Markham, so I'm not even trying to go there. Heh. He has performed several Heyer novels in audiobook, but not this one. And they're abridged anyway, so I can't bring myself to listen to any of them.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Nov 19 2013, 8:32pm

Post #5 of 20 (172 views)
Shortcut
11/22/63 [In reply to] Can't Post

(the time-travel Kennedy assassination novel by Stephen King). It's a very slow start for me--what with all this DOS stuff coming out, and the AUJ EE to get through. Smile

I wasn't born yet in 1963, but my parents both vividly remembered where they were when they heard the news.

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

Kim
Valinor

Nov 19 2013, 8:56pm

Post #6 of 20 (148 views)
Shortcut
I found that book really interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

so hope you can find the time to get into it. Like you, I wasn't born when it happened, so it was interesting to read about the times. Although, if I had to prioritize, I'd put AUJ EE and DOS first! Wink

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 19 2013, 11:29pm

Post #7 of 20 (153 views)
Shortcut
"Dust" [In reply to] Can't Post

(I feel the urge to add, "and ashes" in a Gollum-y voice)

The third and final book in Hugh Howey's "Silo" saga that began with Wool. Dystopian isn't usually my thing, but I find Hugh such a good storyteller and am really caught up in this.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 20 2013, 12:18am

Post #8 of 20 (136 views)
Shortcut
Dumbledore's funeral [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, no...that always gets me every time. I think it is probably because JKR is writing from such personal description. The appearance of the sarcophagus and Hagrid carrying the body. The inappropriate thoughts and laughter that go through Harry's head when he remembers happier occasions with Dumbledore. I think all these make the scene so real.

Enjoy book 7 Atahuaa and have your tissues ready for THOSE scenes!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 3:32pm

Post #9 of 20 (109 views)
Shortcut
The Kennedy family... [In reply to] Can't Post

...has provided an amazing amount of inspiration for both fiction and non-fiction! (And more than a few works that aren't quite either.)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 3:33pm

Post #10 of 20 (101 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that's a difficult scene [In reply to] Can't Post

But also a well-done scene, or it wouldn't work so well.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 3:34pm

Post #11 of 20 (110 views)
Shortcut
You ARE a lass, then! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, amazing how fast these events recede from memory into history. (And history becomes legend, or however the FotR prologue goes.)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 3:35pm

Post #12 of 20 (101 views)
Shortcut
I've heard good reviews of that book [In reply to] Can't Post

One friend told me she appreciated getting re-acquainted with life in the 60s as much as the main plot.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 3:37pm

Post #13 of 20 (111 views)
Shortcut
*smiles at the Gollum joke* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not at all familiar with this series. Wool seems like an odd title for a dystopian novel, but I'm sure it's justified in the context. Any book that really catches you up is a good one.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 21 2013, 8:46pm

Post #14 of 20 (75 views)
Shortcut
I loved that book [In reply to] Can't Post

except for some of the really weird King stuff at the end. But the very ending was perfect, perfect, perfect.

I may be one of the few of my generation who *don't* remember where I was when I heard the news. I was seven, and I remember my Saturday cartoons being canceled for the funeral, and watching the funeral procession, but I don't have any memory of actually hearing the news, though I remember him being president and liking him in a little kid way, because he had a nice smile, I guess.

My dad commented the other day that he remembers seeing a live murder (Ruby killing Oswald) on TV.

I *do* remember vividly hearing about RFK's murder five years later. I was enough older, I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 21 2013, 8:56pm

Post #15 of 20 (88 views)
Shortcut
I've gotten a little bogged down on the Charles Williams reading. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm halfway through "Shadows of Ecstasy", which is about a guy who discovers a way to keep himself alive indefinitely and has plans to lead Africa on a war to destroy Europe. It's kind of interesting, but Williams' dated xenophobia gets a little old.

I've also been reading a lot of frippery about an old interest of mine, tarot cards and cartomancy with playing cards. I've been interested in them for over 40 years, though I don't think there's anything really magic about them. I look at them as a kind of Rorschach thing that lets you look into your own mind, and sometimes they move me the way poetry would, when something I see touches a nerve. Like the day after 9/11 when I did a reading and the first card I turned over was the Tower of Destruction.

As a matter of fact, that's what got me into Williams in the first place, now that I think of it, since the first of his books I read was about tarot.

Anyway, just this past few weeks I've discovered Lenormand cards, which date back to the early 1800s and which resonate with me. I've ordered a lovely deck, but in the meantime they're not very hard to make, so I've made a deck and have been playing with them. They remind me a lot of a doodle deck I designed years ago, with some of the same symbols, though I'd never heard of Lenormand at the time.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Nov 22 2013, 6:01am

Post #16 of 20 (83 views)
Shortcut
JRR Tolkien and the worlds fantacists lost CS Lewis AND . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Aldous Huxley on 11/22/1963 also! That being said--I learned of JFK's shooting while standing in line for lunch at school. I was told this by the class clown so I initially poopooed this news. I was in the sixth grade being one of the youngest in my class at Hartford Elementary School in Chandler, Arizona. I was still 11. After lunch we returned to class with the loud speaker tuned to the radio, When Walter Cronkite gave those fateful words that President Kennedy was dead, the principal told the teachers to dismiss class early and told the students to await word of plans for attending class next week. Most of my classmates were either shocked or in tears. I admit I was one of the few boys who did cry. BUT my parents were true red republicans who voted for Nixon, When I got home, my mother was in tears but told me that classes for next week were cancelled and were to made up later. So we got the entire week off for school because of mourning for JFK and that solemn Thanksgiving! I will never forget that weekend!! It's seered into my memory! I watched TV that entire weekend up to and including the burial. I remembered all the international dignitaries that attended the funeral. Too bad the loss of Lewis and Huxley was lost in that weekend! So goes the remembrance of that terrible weekend! Fifty years goes by quickly!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 22 2013, 4:04pm

Post #17 of 20 (53 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Back in 2005, a TORnsib I'd never met personally did a Tarot card reading for me which at the time, and has proved subsequently, was dead on. So there's more to it than meets the eye.

I also know authors who use Tarot cards to plot their novels, which I think is a great idea, being, as you say, a sort of Rorschach thing. Especially since some symbols are universal.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 22 2013, 4:05pm

Post #18 of 20 (58 views)
Shortcut
And that weekend saw the premiere of Dr. Who [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that a TV show, no matter how long-lasting and much-loved, is the equivalent of people dying.

As I said above, fifty years ago today I, too, was in school, in Ohio. What a tarnishing of innocence for those of us who were so young at the time!

batik
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2013, 8:28pm

Post #19 of 20 (45 views)
Shortcut
thoughts from last year... [In reply to] Can't Post

...posted here soon after I read 11/22/63: ...
Stephen King's version. I laughed and cried while reading --that's pretty much my thumbs up indicator. Time travel, 60s era, JFK, romance, choices, and risks---what's not to like?!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 23 2013, 9:52pm

Post #20 of 20 (32 views)
Shortcut
That's quite a recommendation, yes! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.