The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Name that artist!

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Jan 13 2008, 3:49am

Post #1 of 7 (629 views)
Shortcut
Name that artist! Can't Post

Over at another LOTR site I noticed this image, which appears to be the cover of an edition of LOTR that I have never seen before.
It was labeled as being an illustration by the Hildebrandts.
I went over to the Hildebrandt Brothers' official site looking for a larger, higher-res version to study and did not see it there. (Actually, very few of their LOTR illustrations were shown at their site, for some reason.)
However, this particular painting doesn't really look like their style to me; it feels more Baroque and painterly, like in the style of Reubens or Carravaggio.
So, I'm either pasting it here or linking to it for you to look at, and hopefully someone here at TORn can tell me who the illustrator/painter is. Thanks for your help, in advance.
-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien
Attachments: LOTR bookcover art.jpg (28.4 KB)

Hyarion
The Shire

Jan 13 2008, 11:03pm

Post #2 of 7 (489 views)
Shortcut
Donato Giancola [In reply to] Can't Post

Donato Giancola is one of my favorite Tolkien artists. Here's some links which you might find handy:

Official website
Profile at TG
More Tolkien images by Giancola
Full version of that cover

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Jan 14 2008, 2:33am

Post #3 of 7 (506 views)
Shortcut
Eureka! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much, you found it! I hadn't been aware of this illustrator's work before, and I like it very much! He's got a very classic style I admire, and I had no idea there were so many LOTR images I hadn't seen!
I knew if I posted that image here, some TORn member would know who the artist is! Donato Giancola is a painter I will now keep my eye on!
Thanks for the information and the links!
best wishes,
-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien

orcbane
Gondor

Jan 14 2008, 4:57am

Post #4 of 7 (478 views)
Shortcut
His work caught my eye too [In reply to] Can't Post

I only became aware of it recently. I thought it would be hard to come up with a new & compelling visualization of Middle-Earth. But this artist seems to be doing just that. Which I find encouraging.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2008, 4:38pm

Post #5 of 7 (443 views)
Shortcut
Donato [In reply to] Can't Post

He also did a very nice cover for a graphic novel adaptation of The Hobbit.

I really like his work -- it's very physical and reminds me of some of the great painters of the Renaissance.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Jan 16 2008, 9:14am

Post #6 of 7 (422 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for asking this as I had seen [In reply to] Can't Post

that painting some time ago and wondered who the artist was also. The detail is amazing.

A myth is far truer than a history, for a history only gives a story of the shadows, whereas a myth gives a story of the substances that cast the shadows.~Annie Besant
Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole, and once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Jan 16 2008, 9:19am

Post #7 of 7 (486 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this site [In reply to] Can't Post

it was a real treat. Wish I could go back to school and take classes from him.

A myth is far truer than a history, for a history only gives a story of the shadows, whereas a myth gives a story of the substances that cast the shadows.~Annie Besant
Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole, and once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.