Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What thing that annoyed you most
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 4:19pm

Post #1 of 27 (383 views)
Shortcut
What thing that annoyed you most Can't Post

of the books and the films.

Did anything form the books or movies bug you? Gandalf's beard didn't wag just right? Did Tom Bombadil and his existence just not make any sense? Did a pale Orc end up sneaking into a Hobbit movie and you felt he didn't quite belong?

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 5:07pm

Post #2 of 27 (237 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

*thinking back to my purist days* I can't remember what annoyed me the *most*, so I'll pick the first random tiny nitpicks I think of that bothered me much more than they should have.

(1) Boromir and Faramir were blond! It was so heinous! How dare they try to justify that by saying it came from their mother's side of the family!

(2) How dare they give Aragorn the Evenstar! That's too much like the jewel Arwen gives Frodo in the book! He's supposed to have the Elfstone, dang it!

(3) How dare they have Theoden not respect the oath Eorl and Cirion swore over the grave of Elendil and contemplate not aiding Gondor when the beacons were lit!

Etc., etc. Sorry about the excessive exclamation points. Wink I am happy to say that I can enjoy the movies now without throwing a fit over minor details. Although the Theoden one bothers me still... Crazy

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 5:21pm

Post #3 of 27 (230 views)
Shortcut
I've Posted This Before [In reply to] Can't Post

The changes in character. Aragorn and Faramir are the most egregious examples. Oh, and the changes made in Sam and Frodo's relationship. Hate the part where Frodo sends Sam away. And, just to be nitpicky, Sam not addressing Frodo as "Mr. Frodo" throughout.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2013, 5:28pm

Post #4 of 27 (227 views)
Shortcut
Not much, but a few things [In reply to] Can't Post

I found the "Tra-la-lally" song that the elves sang in the Hobbit book extremely annoying after, maybe the third time they sang it. The first time I thought, "I guess that's kind of cute but it could get annoying after awhile". The second time I thought "Ok, that's significantly less cute". And the third time I got to where I was thinking "SHUT UP ALREADY! Don't you know how annoying that song is?!"

Tom Bombadil was the reason I didn't finish FotR the first time I read it when I was a "tween". I was already confused enough about the story, and then here comes this guy skipping along and singing "Hey-come, merry-dol" etc. and I was like, "That's it! This is too weird!" and closed the book and didn't read it again until just this past summer when I finally understood the story enough to endure his weirdness. However, as strange as Tom was, I thought Lego's explanation for why he got cut from the movie was a little harsh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxhP7F1CftE Poor guy... The only Bombadil that I like is ol' Bomby here on the message boards, who's posts I very much enjoy reading!Smile

My final irk is the pale orc Azog. I'm not a book purist and I don't mind the other characters or storylines added to the Hobbit movie, but Azog just rubs me the wrong way and I have no clue why. I find him particularly creepy and I really hope he gets killed off before Bo5a although I doubt it will happen. Someone on here had almost convinced me to at least tolerate Azog and that maybe he wasn't as bad as I thought he was, but now I can't remember who it was or what they said so I'm back to hating him again.

Oh, and the trolls in the movie were pretty gross, but because of Bilbo and the whole "I have parasites the size of my arm!" thing, I still find that scene entertaining. Also, the Goblin King's and his song annoyed me a bit so I was glad when Gandalf killed him.

Other than those things I don't have many gripes about the books or movies and I'm happy to enjoy them the way they are.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 21 2013, 5:55pm

Post #5 of 27 (228 views)
Shortcut
Only a few things annoy me enough to write about them: [In reply to] Can't Post

In the films the following spring to mind:

Denethor's stupid stupid plunge, Ninja Legolas, Azog being alive and looking like an engineer from Prometheus (not a film I want to be reminded of), the Eagles being a convenient taxi service with no explanation, Elijah Wood/Frodo, (and the absence of Cirdan and the talking purse of course), the rewriting of The Hobbit's opening line (there was literally no reason to change that), overblown action sequences and The Rankin Bass Hobbit being only 75 minutes long are all things that really bug me.

In the books-Arwen not being integrated very well into LOTR's main storyline, The Wanderings of Hurin and 'Of Tuor and His coming to Gondolin' and 'The Tale of Aldarion and Erendis' being incomplete, the battle scenes and character introductions being too sudden and obtuse on some occasions, The Frodo/Sam in Mordor sections being dragged out, T-Bomb and Glorfindel dropping in and out of the book so quickly (love both but's it's rather confusing) and re reads never being quite as exciting as the first time I read LOTR.

I haven't read or seen any of them in quite a while though, so many of the things listed above could change.

And I personally love Tom Bombadil and the Tra La La la laly song.

I don't have much to say.

(This post was edited by malickfan on Nov 21 2013, 6:00pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2013, 10:05pm

Post #6 of 27 (220 views)
Shortcut
Only one scene I still can't watch [In reply to] Can't Post

"Go home, Sam."

Nope, nope, nope. Everything else I can live with.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-z‚ram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-n‚la, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dŻm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2013, 10:12pm

Post #7 of 27 (195 views)
Shortcut
I am loathe to make lists... [In reply to] Can't Post

of things I don't like. I find it just gives them that much more power in my life to irritate me.

That said, almost nothing in the books annoy me. Do I love everything... no. There is very little in this world I love 100%. But there is nothing that rises up to any level where my life is perturbed in any great way.

Pretty much same with the movies. Whatever annoys me, put in perspective of life, is not a big deal.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

sevilodorf
Gondor

Nov 22 2013, 2:20am

Post #8 of 27 (178 views)
Shortcut
second that one [In reply to] Can't Post

like how the heck was he supposed to go anyway....ridiculous

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 22 2013, 3:29am

Post #9 of 27 (179 views)
Shortcut
More in the films than in the books. [In reply to] Can't Post

Books:
* Anything to do with Bombadil
* Very poor development and use of Arwen

Films:
* Omission of the Gift Giving from FotR-TE
* Aragorn's fall and the inexplicable horse rescue
* Incoherent "Arwen is dying" subplot
* Botched/deleted Gandalf vs. Wiki confrontation
(the visual was wonderful, if only they had let it go as a stalemate instead of Gandalf being struck down)
* Denethor's premature madness & death dive
* "Go home, Sam" (really, that was the worst)
* Aragorn beheading MoS (totally out of character)

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Nov 22 2013, 3:31am)

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 22 2013, 4:42am

Post #10 of 27 (169 views)
Shortcut
Can you tell me more about why [In reply to] Can't Post

the horse rescue is inexplicable?
The only thing that annoys me about that scene is the magic bit Brego grows in his mouth.

TintallŽ
Gondor

Nov 22 2013, 5:53am

Post #11 of 27 (154 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you 100% on that one. [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I saw the movie I just couldn't help saying "NO! Oh no, no, no!" over and over again.

So completely, utterly out of character for Frodo. Ripped me right out of Middle Earth in a most heart-wrenching and almost savage manner.

TintallŽ
Gondor

Nov 22 2013, 6:01am

Post #12 of 27 (162 views)
Shortcut
The magic bit is like dying Boromir's magic hand [In reply to] Can't Post

On Aragorn's shoulder, off Aragorn's shoulder. Off. On.

Actually, I'd never noticed the bit bit. Think I'll have a bit of a rewatch. . .

TintallŽ
Gondor

Nov 22 2013, 7:01am

Post #13 of 27 (156 views)
Shortcut
Scrubbing bubbles. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not at all what was in my head after many yearly re-reads of the books, but so very Peter Jackson that I wasn't really surprised. And I liked that PJ captained the ship - he made a pretty good Corsair of Umbar!

Frodo's craziness in ordering Sam to leave him is, for me, weirdly juxtaposed with Gollum's suddenly sane "leave now and never come back!" but it is so out of character that it is anathema to me.

A close second is Faramir allowing Gollum to be beaten and abused. Again - out of character, or at least the character I knew and loved from the books.

Arwen dying - well, in the end she perked up nicely so I guess it was okay. I suppose a banner wrought of mithril and gems by her steadfast and devoted hands wouldn't have played as well on the big screen as the Evenstar necklace she gifted with a definite "no returns" policy, worn prominently enough to spark inquiry and flashbacks that conveniently filled in the story, and lost and recovered with enough drama for Eowyn to catch on. Perhaps the real story line - the Elfstone, Isildur's heir, Erech/King of the Mountains oath, seven stars & seven stones & one white tree, etc. - was the straw that could have broken something.

The thing that bugged me most of all? That I did not get to see every last millimeter of film they shot.

TintallŽ
Gondor

Nov 22 2013, 7:02am

Post #14 of 27 (154 views)
Shortcut
At least Denethor's plunge was not [In reply to] Can't Post

accompanied by the infamous Wilhelm scream!

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 22 2013, 7:09am

Post #15 of 27 (156 views)
Shortcut
Undeveloped and inconsistent. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The establishing sequence(s) were cut from the TE. So, here is Aragorn in the river and this horse we've never seen before, wearing a halter, suddenly appears and wants to take care of him.

2. If we're talking about the EE, we last saw Aragorn, having tamed the horse by speaking Elvish to him, advise that he should be "set free." Who would do that leaving the horse with a halter dragging a rope?

3. So this horse, which we've never seen in the TE and is turned loose with a halter and rope in the EE, rescues Aragorn and then develops a bridle with a bit?

Ok, it's not a major problem of the magnitude of "Go home, Sam," but it's irritating. Ok?

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 22 2013, 7:09am

Post #16 of 27 (145 views)
Shortcut
Grateful for small favors. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 22 2013, 7:12am

Post #17 of 27 (163 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, forgot that one. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Scrubbing Bubbles were pretty bad. The Dead in the PotD were ok (overdone, but ok), but their use at Minas Tirith completely obviated everything the Rohirrim & Aragorn's men achieved. With really awful sFx.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 22 2013, 8:10am

Post #18 of 27 (152 views)
Shortcut
Bomby here by..Now apologizes fur my Existence? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry if Bomby
is too "Tra LA La"
for you..

It's Goldberry's Fault...Crazy

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Nov 22 2013, 10:08am

Post #19 of 27 (136 views)
Shortcut
My annoyances [In reply to] Can't Post

Books: I don't like the "original Westron" forms of the characters' names. They take me out of the story by reminding me that the names I know wouldn't have actually been used in Middle-earth. I don't mind it in the cases where the names are similar (Bilba Labingi for Bilbo Baggins) but the ones that sound nothing like what we know bug me (Maura for Frodo or Trahald for Smeagol). Seriously, Professor, I know you were a linguist but only you would know or care that Smeagol isn't just a made-up word and needs an "untranslated" form.

Movies - LOTR: Legolas and that damn oliphaunt. It's so over-the-top and totally upstages Eowyn. I'm also not crazy about Frodo tackling Gollum at the Cracks of Doom, rather than Gollum falling in and destroying himself. Sort of misses the point, in my opinion.

Movies - The Hobbit: Yes, the pale orc. I hate Azog so very much. I hate the change to canon, the unnecessary action scenes, the bad CGI, the filler material to stretch a simple story into a trilogy, the fact that Bolg would have worked just as well, etc. My hate for Azog has been well-documented on the boards so sorry if I sound like a broken record.

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Nov 22 2013, 1:58pm

Post #20 of 27 (147 views)
Shortcut
Well I was irked [In reply to] Can't Post

by many things from the movies but there was only one major problem with the books- they ended!

My pet peeve list for the films starts with Frodo's appearance - Elijah Wood just did not fit in for me! Then we move on to sending Frodo directly from the Shire to Bree just where were Goldberry, Tom B., Fatty Bolger, and Glorfindel hiding? Then the wraiths invaded Bree and apparently could not find the missing hobbits... that would be a little hard to explain considering that they were portrayed as very dangerous later on. I especially hated Faramir's erratic actions coupled his apparent inability to think for himself and lead his me. I still can't watch Frodo turning Sam away it just does not fit in with his character and seems rather pointless to me ( the same can be said for I-do-not-want-to-be-king-Aragorn). And two a final irksome details would be Legolas' surfing tricks and Gimil's job as humorous sidekick. I loved most of the films but the above mentioned facts were both annoying and saddening to me.

Faithful servant yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 22 2013, 5:14pm

Post #21 of 27 (112 views)
Shortcut
I don't care for Gothmog [In reply to] Can't Post

or the Pale Orc. And I'm really upset with how short all of the movies are ;)

Other than those things, I really love Peter, Phillipa and Fran's telling of the stories!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 22 2013, 10:00pm

Post #22 of 27 (102 views)
Shortcut
Oh, let's see. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn falling off the cliff is my main one, I guess. And the cave troll scene that went on and on and one. And Eowyn's bad cooking. And the scrubbing bubbles. Aragorn killing the MOS. And I really didn't like Faramir and Boromir being blond, which is silly, but it didn't seem like them at all. And changing Faramir's character. Well, and Aragorn's character too, though that didn't bother me as much. And Frodo falling down all the time and seeming so much less capable than he was in the book. And Merry and Pippin being such village idiots.

I didn't look forward to The Hobbit as much as I did LotR, so not as much irritated me. But yeah, the pale orc.

In the book, I wish Arwen had had more of a part. (I have a friend who says LotR got him through his time in Vietnam, and yet he swears that Aragorn married Eowyn. He didn't remember Arwen as a character at all.) But I love Tom Bombadil and the Tra-la-la-lally elves, so I know I'm at odds with some folks there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2013, 10:04pm

Post #23 of 27 (103 views)
Shortcut
They cut my part! [In reply to] Can't Post

No Dame Ioreth in the movie. The nerve! Sly

Loved the rest!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

AjaxMinoan

Nov 22 2013, 10:38pm

Post #24 of 27 (87 views)
Shortcut
The horses on the ramp in "The two towers." [In reply to] Can't Post

A couple of strong men can wrestle a horse to the ground, so I didn't understand how a thin line of warhorses could machine gun hundred of orcs off of the ramp in Helm's Deep like that (speaking of the film).

(This post was edited by AjaxMinoan on Nov 22 2013, 10:39pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 12:26pm

Post #25 of 27 (78 views)
Shortcut
Goldberry might just be the most annoying character in Middle-earth. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.