The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rewatching AUJ (Erebor Gate Question)

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Nov 21 2013, 1:27pm

Post #1 of 7 (675 views)
Shortcut
Rewatching AUJ (Erebor Gate Question) Can't Post

Been watching AUJ and it's been discussed on the forum before, but I still can not understand why Balin, during the meeting in Bilbo's house, says the front gate of Erebor is sealed.

The front gate was clearly busted open by Smaug and i'm sure the dwarven masons did not thereafter seal the gate, so is there any explanation for this or is just a huge error?

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 2:05pm

Post #2 of 7 (382 views)
Shortcut
Rubble [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure he means that the gate and the structures above collapsed.

And the rubble now seals the entrance.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

Remus
Lorien

Nov 21 2013, 2:06pm

Post #3 of 7 (387 views)
Shortcut
Sealed [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he means it's sealed because the roof came crashing down. Blocking the inner sanctum of the entrance. Not the BIG GATE but far more in it is blocked.

But i really wanna see that, i wanna see that scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dûr and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Nov 21 2013, 2:13pm

Post #4 of 7 (352 views)
Shortcut
Or perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug blocked it himself so as to keep away intruders

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Nov 21 2013, 2:49pm

Post #5 of 7 (321 views)
Shortcut
How did all the dwarves escape outside the entrance after Smaug entered? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think your suggestion still allows for that, assuming those dwarves were not in the inner sanctum

Long Hammer
The Shire

Nov 21 2013, 3:45pm

Post #6 of 7 (254 views)
Shortcut
well… there was the hidden back door [In reply to] Can't Post

But, the book does infer that Smaug sealed up the opening to keep things out. There was even a reference to him asking himself why he never sealed up the spot where Bilbo gets in. I would say the general idea is Smaug has blocked the way in at some point after he sacked the place. I don't believe it has to be so literal that it was sealed the moment the dwarves were evicted

thursday_next
The Shire

Nov 21 2013, 4:18pm

Post #7 of 7 (256 views)
Shortcut
It's part of the Tolkien method of dealing with fire-breathing monsters.... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Get them to cause needless destruction everywhere they go, because that's what they do.

2. Then get them to hibernate, preferably in some place where they can cause massive structural damage if they're unwise enough to move about.

3. Avoid draughts, because this causes snoring, and hence self-immolation.

4. On no account try to steal from them or to drop stones anywhere near them. That's a big no-no.

5. They wake up, scare a few people witless and are killed almost immediately.

(Either 2 or 3 answers your question, though I'm inclined to think that it would give the dwarves a defendable position, without giving them the necessity of constructing one. It's not a mistake).

CoolCoolCool

'But ere long it escaped our skill, and we dared not continue the hunt; for we were drawing nigh to Dol Guldur, and that is still a very evil place; we do not go that way'

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.