Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Black metal giving tolkien a bad name!!

boldog
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 9:02am

Post #1 of 10 (302 views)
Shortcut
Black metal giving tolkien a bad name!! Can't Post

Im a metalhead, and one thing that I like and yet don't like is the use of Tolkiens works in this musical genre. I particularly listen to death metal and black metal, in which are the heaviest influenced. Many bands such as Amon Amarth (mount doom), Gorgoroth ( the plains in mordor), and Burzum (some black speech word), just to name a few, are named after Tolkien based things. There are heaps more Tolkien band names out there, and the thing I don't like a lot about it all is that they base themselves on the bad side of Tolkien. The evil. Gorgoroth and Burzum are both extreme satanic bands, and some of the things these people have done are absolutely appalling!( I only listen because I like the music, not the themes..... Anyway) To me using Tolkiens works are insulting. He was a wonderful man, and dedicated Christian, and these guy just defile his works!!?? It really annoys me deeply! To me this gives Tolkien a bad name, and almost makes out that he was some sick evil lover. There is not many times where I see music praising the beauty of his works! Always the evil!

Anyway what do you all think of this issue? Does anyone agree with me?

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2013, 3:05pm

Post #2 of 10 (206 views)
Shortcut
"There is not many times where I see music praising the beauty of his works!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, then... let your fellow TORnadoes help you.

I mean, I don't think many 'praise' his works. But there are lot of beautiful songs built off of and inspired by his work. We can tip the balance for you. (since there is nothing any of us can do about what we perceive as negative)

Fellowship Going South - written by Leslie Fish, performed by Julia Ecklar
find it on this page, under the 'fantasy' category
http://www.prometheus-music.com/eli/virtual.html

(this isn't a high quality recording but it moves me greatly, nonetheless)

The Last Ship - by Glass Hammer
sample here: http://www.glasshammer.com/...e_earth_sampler.html
Glass Hammer has a lot of Tolkien songs

House of Tom Bombadil - Nickel Creek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ2p04GWGEk
Other Tolkien inspired bluegrass:
Samwise - Becky Buller
Riddles in the Dark - Chris Thile
March of the Ents, Shadowfax, Brandwine River, Tom Bombadil's, The Siege of Isengard, The Oliphaunt - all in medley form - Popcorn Behavior
March of the Ents - The Hot Strings

Lothlorien - Enya
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frTPnVRecxs

All That is Gold - Tolkien/Brook Williams - expands on Tolkien's verse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2HdmWIXJco

Led Zepplin refer to Tolkien in a number of songs.

And there's tons of artists putting Tolkien's songs and poems to music: Hobbitons, Broceliande, The Tolkien Ensemble.

I especially love Malcolm Martineau Cantabile's version of Bilbo's Last Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ntZHNTdwJk

I don't know anything about 'black metal' music so I can't speak to that. But Tolkien has been adopted by many white supremacist groups who read into his works what they hope to find that support their views. People seek what they hope to find in books, religious texts, music, video games, whatever. If they're mind is skewed toward 'evil' then they will find it.

You can't save them. You can't stop them. Just look to the light.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 4:55pm

Post #3 of 10 (178 views)
Shortcut
*wails and flails* [In reply to] Can't Post

Such beautiful music! Thank you so much for sharing these links, Magpie! Smile Heart

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 5:00pm

Post #4 of 10 (171 views)
Shortcut
I've seen instances of this before. [In reply to] Can't Post

Including some nutcase who called his band Grishnackh (sic) and interpreted LOTR with Norse mythology. Something about Sauron being the return of Odin, etc., etc. Guess he didn't read the end of the book.

Yeah, whenever you have a really good and true thing such as Tolkien's works, you will always have those who seek to twist them and shape them for their own creepy ends. There will always be those who glorify evil. Let us remember that evil is only a small and passing thing, and that one day all shall see that the light and beauty of LOTR is put forever beyond their reach.

However, I would like to say that not *all* praise of Tolkien is bad. After the first trailer for AUJ came out, I can NOT tell you how many people posted videos on YouTube with their own covers (of varying quality) of 'Misty Mountains'. They loved it and Tolkien for the fact that it was indeed good and beautiful. So as long as we have those sorts of people, too, we need not despair over the actions of a few creeps.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2013, 5:08pm

Post #5 of 10 (175 views)
Shortcut
Allow me to add Ted Nasmith [In reply to] Can't Post

and his CD, "The Hidden Door: Songs in the Key of Enchantment", with many Middle-earth themed songs.

Yes, he's not only an illustrator, but he sings and plays as well! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 5:26pm

Post #6 of 10 (158 views)
Shortcut
Take Heart [In reply to] Can't Post

When something is as good a true as Tolkien's work, that goodness and truth will always shine forth.

Have you heard Donald Swan's Song Cycle of Tolkien's poems?

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2013, 10:04pm

Post #7 of 10 (132 views)
Shortcut
Just a question [In reply to] Can't Post

If you can listen to satanic bands for the music and not the themes and feel like it's OK to completely divorce one from the other, why can't the bands use a Tolkien-based name because they like the language but not have their actions reflect on Tolkien?

Do you think that might be a double standard?

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2013, 10:13pm

Post #8 of 10 (139 views)
Shortcut
I was completely unaware of this [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the heads up.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 22 2013, 1:52am

Post #9 of 10 (121 views)
Shortcut
Glad you posted this, I'm a self-proclaimed music expert [In reply to] Can't Post

Boldog, you give some valid reasons, and I understand them. A year ago, a took a course called History of Rock (I also study it as a hobby) and I learned a little bit black metal. Black metal is heavily influenced by Satanism, evil, the dark arts, and is much different from other types of metal music. It's the only musical genre that can be considered the 'Devil's music'.
Many musicians love the works of Tolkien, and there have been several, non-black metal bands that have written songs about Tolkien's works. Ones that come to mind are several songs by Led Zeppelin, especially "Misty Mountain Hop" and Stairway to Heaven. In the song "Ramble On", they reference Mordor, Gollum and the Evil One (Sauron). Enya has composed a piece titled "Lothlorien", and 90s alternative band Marillion named themselves after, you guessed it! The Silmarillion. There are other songs and bands that have recorded songs inspired by the works of Tolkien that are not black metal. So fear not, black metal bands aren't the only ones referencing Tolkien.
However, I understand your annoyance. Who wants to hear a Satanic band sing about Tolkien, whose works were about the battle between good and evil good usually winning?
On the one hand, they like Tolkien too, but on the other hand, they obviously are obsessed with the dark side of Middle-Earth, and even praise it. Not good.
Black metal is a very niche genre of music, so most people aren't even aware of it's existance, and won't find Tolkien's works defiling because of it. (Thank goodness.) Don't worry, the beauty of Tolkien's work has been celebrated more than the evil in music. It's only black metal that praises the evil.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 22 2013, 1:44pm

Post #10 of 10 (107 views)
Shortcut
Minor tangent [In reply to] Can't Post

but I've heard that some types of heavy metal music that write songs about more fantastical themes are sometimes called 'heavy mithril' in reference to this trend of theirs to be inspired by Middle-earth. Has anyone else heard of this term?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.