The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TORn Line Parties now open and in need of Leaders

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 21 2013, 3:31am

Post #1 of 7 (1080 views)
Shortcut
TORn Line Parties now open and in need of Leaders Can't Post

RingersLP1-costumesWith tickets for The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug just hours from going on sale, we are now ready to open up our Line Parties for business. Well, sort of. The Line Party program has been having some quirky issues and not working for everyone. So this is a little list of what you can do with the Line Party section, and what you will want to supplement it with.

First off, let's have a quick history on what a Line Party is. The geek in us all feels driven to attend the earliest possible screening, and with the Hobbit: DOS, that means the midnight screenings. And let's face it, we all know we'll head down to the theater hours before they actually open the doors, and stand in line, and stand, and stand, and stand. Unless, of course, there is a Line Party at your particular theater of choice. Because a Line Party means games, trivia, costumes, Fellowship and fun.

Anyone can host a Line Party, no special skills are required, and truthfully, prizes for the games are not necessary either because it comes down to the Fellowship and Fun. You simply decide which theater you want to host a Line Party at, talk to the staff there to make sure it is OK to do interactive games (some shopping centers and the like have rules about what can and cannot happen on their property), and then create a Line Party page here on TheOneRing.net.

lineparty_mainTo create a Line Party Page, go to the Community section, then click on the Line Party link at the bottom, and you will find a section with a list of existing Line Parties. Take a look to get an idea of what others are doing, then click 'Start a Line' to get the Line made. The information you will need to start a Line Party is the full name and address of your chosen theater, and if it is a multiplex, which screen or format you want everyone to get tickets in so you are all in the same Line. A few additional instructions such as when to arrive, what types of games, costumes or not, all this can and should go into your Line Party page.

We are going to add one more step, please create a Facebook Event page for your Line Party as well, and put the link at the bottom of your Line Party description there. This is simply because the 'Join Button' of the Line Party function has been having issues, so the Facebook Event page will be the only way for people to RSVP for your Line, and then you will be able to communicate with your Line Members. By creating the Line Party page here on TORn, you let others in your area find you, but by simultaneously creating a Facebook Event page for the same line, you are still able to communicate with your line until we get or functionality back. Win Win.

So here is where it get's tricky.

Some people have experienced problems logging into their Fellowship account, which is required to start a Line Party. If you are already a Message Board member then you already have a Fellowship log in. But if you are new to this, you will want to register, and if you experience any type of problem with the registration process, please email me at: Garfeimao@Theonering.net and let me know of your problem, and then give me all the info you need for your Line Party and I will create it for you. For an example of a Line Party page with the Facebook event page included, please look at Irvine Spectrum line party.

We currently have just 4 Line Parties registered right now, let's see if we can double and triple that by lunchtime on Thursday. Please email me at the above email address when you start your Line Party, even if you encounter no problems, so I can clear it from the Pending list as soon as possible.

Let's get creative everyone, start your Line Parties and share your enthusiasm for the films and seeing them with fellow fans.

aerotist

Dec 4 2013, 11:21pm

Post #2 of 7 (577 views)
Shortcut
Line Parties Declined [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey,

I was just wondering why a theater would "decline" the request for a line party. It seems bizarre to me. I called my theater today asking if there were restrictions on hosting a line party. I explained that I wanted to go some trivia with the people waiting in the line for the film. Nothing crazy, just something to pass the time. But the guy told me that "management wouldn't go for it and we would have to decline." I explained that I wasn't looking for them to do anything but he didn't seem to understand so then the answer is just "no." Kinda ruined my day. :(

Thoughts? Suggestions? Can they stop us from having trivia time?

Jess

Garfeimao
Rohan

Dec 6 2013, 8:43pm

Post #3 of 7 (548 views)
Shortcut
Sorry they feel that way [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hey,

I was just wondering why a theater would "decline" the request for a line party. It seems bizarre to me. I called my theater today asking if there were restrictions on hosting a line party. I explained that I wanted to go some trivia with the people waiting in the line for the film. Nothing crazy, just something to pass the time. But the guy told me that "management wouldn't go for it and we would have to decline." I explained that I wasn't looking for them to do anything but he didn't seem to understand so then the answer is just "no." Kinda ruined my day. :(

Thoughts? Suggestions? Can they stop us from having trivia time?

Jess

First off, I would try to get a hold of the actual manager of the theater before taking the word of a rank and file worker who assumes they know what management would and would not go for. Go into the theater if you must and find out face to face if they will allow something.

I've found that most theaters enjoy doing some sort of interactive events because it turns a passive event (watching a film) into an active event, which is a win/win for the theater.

That being said, this theater may have a 'no line' policy, and therefore not feel the need to entertain those waiting for the film. Is this a stand alone theater, a multiplex, or a theater within a mall or shopping center? I ask because sometimes the activities that can be done are determined not by the theater but by the shopping center rules. In other words, you have some homework ahead of you.

The other option is to contact a different theater, but again, I advise you go straight to the top. Simply say "People are going to arrive early and gather, possibly in line, waiting for this movie to start" this point is a given. While they are in line, I'd like to reach out and do some trivia questions or games to help pass the time and entertain everyone before the film starts. Don't promise prizes, unless you have a few things, and don't ask for prizes until you feel out the theater for whether or not they are onboard with the activity.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 8 2013, 4:12am

Post #4 of 7 (526 views)
Shortcut
So we need to ask the theater first? [In reply to] Can't Post

I just thought that i can have a group of people out in Times Square because it's not that uncommon to have people wait out in the Big Apple-- i should get in touch then with the management first then, right?

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Garfeimao
Rohan

Dec 8 2013, 10:24am

Post #5 of 7 (527 views)
Shortcut
Not required, but recommended [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I just thought that i can have a group of people out in Times Square because it's not that uncommon to have people wait out in the Big Apple-- i should get in touch then with the management first then, right?

It is not required, but some theaters and/or shopping centers get real uptight over activities on their property that haven't been cleared. Costume contests are one example, there is usually a big warning against weapons, so make sure to encourage weapons are left in the car, etc. The Line Party experience just goes easier if the theater actually knows something is going on, be it trivia, costumes, games, whatever. And you never know, they may offer a few prizes to give away. But don't lead with that when you talk to them.

Let the theater know that you are planning to host a few games or trivia or whatever while standing in line waiting to get into the theater. They don't have to do anything, but you wanted to let them know. Some theaters will often offer something, or at least give you the info on what theaters are having the screening, whether they will let you in early or not, if the line will be indoors or outdoors, and what space you can use.

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 9 2013, 12:37am

Post #6 of 7 (521 views)
Shortcut
I've asked and the guy who answered [In reply to] Can't Post

said that there will be no wait if you have tickets in which my friends and i do-- but i think i will arrange something at the lobby an hour before start to psych everyone up :)

omg this is soooo exciting!!!!!WinkCoolSmile

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Garfeimao
Rohan

Dec 9 2013, 3:27am

Post #7 of 7 (583 views)
Shortcut
Send in pics [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
said that there will be no wait if you have tickets in which my friends and i do-- but i think i will arrange something at the lobby an hour before start to psych everyone up :)

omg this is soooo exciting!!!!!WinkCoolSmile

Over the weekend next week we will post a story showing images from all the Line Parties, so make sure to send in a pic or ten labeling what location it is from.

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.