Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
SciFiNow with Hobbit Cover Story and Pictures

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 20 2013, 9:13pm

Post #1 of 17 (1131 views)
Shortcut
SciFiNow with Hobbit Cover Story and Pictures Can't Post

Maybe someone will get a hold if the magazine and could share what's in there :)

https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/...paign=Product-Widget

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

librarygirl

Nov 21 2013, 4:29am

Post #2 of 17 (519 views)
Shortcut
Link to article [In reply to] Can't Post

http://richardarmitagecentral.co.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=348037

Click the next arrows, it's 7 pages total.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2013, 7:43am

Post #3 of 17 (391 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant - thanks... [In reply to] Can't Post

,;librarygirl, and welcome to the boards! Smile

Great comments in this article from MF and Lee Pace - of whom there is not a single photo despite his lengthy quotes, yet they found room for three of Tauriel! Crazy

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Nov 21 2013, 9:16am

Post #4 of 17 (387 views)
Shortcut
Interesting new info [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that the Master of Laketown keeps them all poor and has locked up all the armaments according to Bard. I was under the impression that he was democratically elected for some reason. I guess this will come to a head when the dragon does pitch up and they don't have any way to defend themselves - cue Bard's son probably stealing the keys or something.

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 21 2013, 12:53pm

Post #5 of 17 (328 views)
Shortcut
glad there is a link but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Great comments in this article from MF and Lee Pace - of whom there is not a single photo despite his lengthy quotes, yet they found room for three of Tauriel!"

Meh. Think I've seen maybe 3? PR shots of Thranduil total - mostly the same one over and over.
Can only hope that's a deliberate "lock down" of sorts as with Beorn and Smaug. Anyway, Thranduil is one of the characters I can't wait to see.

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Nov 21 2013, 1:57pm

Post #6 of 17 (280 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I just hope that Beorn looks better than he has so far. I really don't get why they had to go so extreme. I was think more along the lines of that big burly guy with dark hair and a beard from Popeye who was always trying to steal Olive.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2013, 3:55pm

Post #7 of 17 (265 views)
Shortcut
now clickable [In reply to] Can't Post

http://richardarmitagecentral.co.uk/...php?g2_itemId=348037

Welcome to the forums librarygirl!Smile

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Nov 21 2013, 3:57pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 21 2013, 4:14pm

Post #8 of 17 (243 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the Master of Lake-town is supposed to be elected [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is that the Master of Laketown keeps them all poor and has locked up all the armaments according to Bard. I was under the impression that he was democratically elected for some reason. I guess this will come to a head when the dragon does pitch up and they don't have any way to defend themselves - cue Bard's son probably stealing the keys or something.

The Merchant-houses of Esgaroth are supposed to have elected the Master of Lake-town to his position. Perhaps the merchants still support him because his restrictions do not impact them as they do the commoners.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 21 2013, 4:15pm)

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Nov 21 2013, 4:19pm

Post #9 of 17 (234 views)
Shortcut
Or perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

He was democratically elected at one point and there have not been any further elections, or he has rigged all further elections/used intimidation tactics especially as all the armaments are under lock and key.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 21 2013, 4:22pm

Post #10 of 17 (230 views)
Shortcut
Entirely possible [In reply to] Can't Post

That isn't in-line with Tolkien, but Jackson's view of Lake-town's mayor seems to be a bit different.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Nov 21 2013, 4:24pm

Post #11 of 17 (230 views)
Shortcut
Yea [In reply to] Can't Post

It always struck me as kind of strange that no one in the books has a problem with kings who only have that position because of who their father was, but the democratically elected leader is the bad guy.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 21 2013, 4:35pm

Post #12 of 17 (224 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say that that's true [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It always struck me as kind of strange that no one in the books has a problem with kings who only have that position because of who their father was, but the democratically elected leader is the bad guy.

Certainly King Theoden's followers were seriously conflicted over the decisions he made while under the control of Saruman through Wormtongue. And Denethor, the Steward of Gondor, is a tragic character who has had his wisdom compromised by despair brought about through contact of Sauron through a palantir and by the death of his eldest son.

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Nov 21 2013, 5:01pm

Post #13 of 17 (215 views)
Shortcut
I guess so [In reply to] Can't Post

The Master seems to be the only elected official, apart from Sam etc. later in the Shire.

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 5:03pm

Post #14 of 17 (216 views)
Shortcut
.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whil Whitfoot ;)

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 21 2013, 7:45pm

Post #15 of 17 (190 views)
Shortcut
Trying to avoid cliche I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Guess whether folks like it or not, PJ & co. wanted to freshen stuff up - everyone was expecting Beorn to look like a lumberjack e.g. a great big hairy guy - which he is, but not like Hagrid.

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 21 2013, 8:13pm

Post #16 of 17 (187 views)
Shortcut
Really enjoyed this article! [In reply to] Can't Post

Think this is one of the better DOS articles I've read, re the cast responses and even the layout.

Kim
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 11:00pm

Post #17 of 17 (165 views)
Shortcut
Great article [In reply to] Can't Post

Really nice read, without being too spoilery. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.