The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
It was nice to see Ted Nasmith get some credit in the EE

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 7:03pm

Post #1 of 6 (612 views)
Shortcut
It was nice to see Ted Nasmith get some credit in the EE Can't Post

I was watching the credits and Ted was listed with John Howe and Alan Lee. Probably for flashing some of his work in the video. It would be nice to know if any of his works were used as the basis for some design. I admire quite a bit of his Tolkien art.

A little bit of bad blood?
http://www.theonering.net/...-talks-the-hobbit-2/

http://tednasmith.narod.ru/

"I was contacted by a producer in early '99. They invited me to be there with the others in New Zealand to help with conceptual art, and made me a nice offer. However, I was going through a personal crisis unrelated to my art, and in the end, being that it would also force me to abandon my freelance obligations and be away indefinitely, I reluctantly declined, settling the question in my mind after very careful deliberation. It was a difficult decision." — Ted Nasmith

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Nov 20 2013, 7:07pm)

Nightwing
Bree

Nov 20 2013, 7:22pm

Post #2 of 6 (348 views)
Shortcut
I'm a big fan of Nasmith [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like his take on Gondolin, Minas Tirith (which I prefer to the movie version), Tirion, Morgoth, and Amon Rûdh. Glad to hear that he's getting some credit in The Hobbit.

The Silmarillion (film series)
The Flight of the Noldor - Beren and Lúthien - The Children of Húrin - The Necklace of the Dwarves - The Fall of Gondolin - The War of Wrath

Someday.

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 1:37am

Post #3 of 6 (187 views)
Shortcut
I don't like some of his character paintings, [In reply to] Can't Post

But his landscapes and architecture are sublime. His Minas Tirith is my favorite, especially the white tower.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 21 2013, 8:53am

Post #4 of 6 (130 views)
Shortcut
Agreed.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he's weak on characters, but excellent on landscapes. 'The Light of Valinor on the Western Sea' is my favourite of his.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Nov 21 2013, 11:06am

Post #5 of 6 (109 views)
Shortcut
I would have said exactly the same thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some characters could be improved, especially smaller figures but his Fingolfin is perfect as is Tuor at Vinyamar, although their swords could be improved and yes, Minas Tirith's Tower of Ecthelion is the best by far I have seen in any medium as is his fountain courtyard in front of it. The tower isc so elegant yet strong and superbly detailed. Nasmiths work tends to be very faithful to Tolkiens text. Even his Balrog, although still very archetypically 'demony' is shown with much greater subtlety, faithfullness to the text and an effective shadowy look than any others I have seen.

His 1992 calender was my first Tolkien calender and I still rate it as the best.

fingolfin_nc
Bree

Nov 22 2013, 3:59pm

Post #6 of 6 (49 views)
Shortcut
The Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

Although not quite canon, I always thought The Balrog painting of it coming straight at Gandalf on Bridge of Khazad-dum with Gandalf's back turned to the viewer was really cool. Reminds me of Giger's Alien quite a bit. Also, his Tower of the Moon is really cool.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.