Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Nature of Evil

jordagorn
The Shire

Nov 20 2013, 6:19pm

Post #1 of 7 (692 views)
Shortcut
The Nature of Evil Can't Post

I was contemplating the meaning of this soundtrack title. Could it be a reference to the FOTR where (I think it's in the council of Elrond) they discuss how the shadow always takes a new shape and grows again? In that case, this could be a passing of the torch from Azog to Bolg as the former is somehow slain. I for one would like to see him eliminated early on but I'm not sure how they could justify his presence at all if this were to happen.

jordagorn
The Shire

Nov 20 2013, 6:23pm

Post #2 of 7 (344 views)
Shortcut
I guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

It could also just refer the necromancer and his rise to power. I have often wondered why Gandalf loses his staff and if the necromancer takes it to increase his own power instead of just breaking it.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 20 2013, 6:29pm

Post #3 of 7 (372 views)
Shortcut
I guess it is related to Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

We can hear him say it in the trailers (SPOILERS: He says it to the captured Orc, if I am not mistaken).

I think he says something after that on the lines of: In time all foul things come forward (could be wrong).

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2013, 8:10pm

Post #4 of 7 (247 views)
Shortcut
Sort of agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We can hear him say it in the trailers (SPOILERS: He says it to the captured Orc, if I am not mistaken).

I think he says something after that on the lines of: In time all foul things come forward (could be wrong).

I am agreed that it is Thranduil who we hear saying this in the trailers. In fact the full quote is "Such is the nature of evil...In time all foul things come forth." However, I haven't seen anything that shows when he says it or to whom as it has just been an out of context sound clip at this point. I saw the scene to which you refer when whomever it was video taped it when it was shown on the MTV music awards and TORn posted it on the home page and he definitely did not say it there.

Rheged
Bree

Nov 21 2013, 12:42am

Post #5 of 7 (157 views)
Shortcut
Definitely Thranduil Related [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a darker version of the Thranduil theme that we hear in AUJ.

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Nov 21 2013, 2:07pm

Post #6 of 7 (82 views)
Shortcut
Intriguing stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what it could mean.

Perhaps it is going to be played when Thrandy tells Thorin about what he is really up against in terms of the dragon and what disturbing it could unleash. Maybe even he draws the connection between the dragon and Sauron. I wonder if his interrogation of that orc is before of after he captures the dwarfes, and perhaps even during. Then he sends someone to summon Thorin -as he wants to warn him even more and that is how they realise that they have escaped.

Alternatively, it could be just Thrandy discussing evil and explaining what he is really up against to Legolas, and trying to justify why he doesn't want to get involved. Perhaps even telling Legolas what happened to his mother (what did happen incidentally?) and also discussing how Tauriel came to be adopted by him.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2013, 3:49pm

Post #7 of 7 (77 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking the second one [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Thranduil is talking to either Legolas or possibly even Tauriel when he says this line for the exact reasons you just stated. An interesting thing that I noticed about this line is that when we hear it in the teaser trailer, he's saying it rather loudly, almost announcing this fact to someone. However, when we hear it later in one of the TV spots (maybe #1 or #2?) he says it much more gently and quietly with a tone that says "I'm sorry to have to tell you this but it's true" IMO. That makes me think that he is talking to someone close to him that he knows well and cares about.

As far as Legolas' mother goes, we have no idea what happened to her because Tolkien never even mentions that Legolas had a mother, much less what happened too her. I've been wondering myself if the filmmakers will come up with an explanation for her absence or not, so it will be interesting to see if you are right.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.