Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies (et. al.) did you watch last weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2013, 10:37pm

Post #26 of 52 (180 views)
Shortcut
Talk to Patty... [In reply to] Can't Post

she's the expert and I might be misremembering something she said. I'm pretty sure she has the British DVD (she has a region free dvd player) and maybe she said it was different from the PBS airing and I misremembered that as meaning it was different from the US DVD.

Really, she's the one who will know.

In terms of North and South, I don't know that there's any difference at all. I just wondered if these 'extra' scenes were on a British DVD and perhaps they *might* not be on a US DVD.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2013, 10:37pm

Post #27 of 52 (173 views)
Shortcut
thanks // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 10:41pm

Post #28 of 52 (180 views)
Shortcut
He sure deserves an Oscar. [In reply to] Can't Post

And maybe Hanks... but the movie itself, not so much.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2013, 10:51pm

Post #29 of 52 (177 views)
Shortcut
I have almost zero interest in watching this [In reply to] Can't Post

although, maybe some day I will for Abdi's sake.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 19 2013, 12:06am

Post #30 of 52 (170 views)
Shortcut
Thor: The Dark World [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree with others that it's not as good as the first. If it had had 15 minutes less of things smashing into other things and 15 minutes more of people interacting - in particular, Thor/Loki and Thor/Jane, but also wish that Sif & the Three got more to do - and if Malekith had more substance instead of just wanted to destroy everything (why?), it could have been great.

The ending raised a lot of questions & led to a long conversation with friends, which was fun.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 19 2013, 12:08am

Post #31 of 52 (177 views)
Shortcut
re Almost Human [In reply to] Can't Post

It struck me as being derivative of Continuum - similar conspiracy of baddies, pairing of ordinary cop with enhanced future cop. I'm not complaining about Karl Urban in the least, and I like the guy playing the android, but I hope it goes in another direction than Continuum.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 19 2013, 4:14am

Post #32 of 52 (160 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic movie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely love that film. There's something about it that I just find fantastic, though I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the focus on the characters? I don't know, but I love it. Glad you were able to see it finally.

'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 19 2013, 4:18am

Post #33 of 52 (163 views)
Shortcut
There are differences? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, I don't like that. I thought the DVDs said something like "original uk edition". I hope they've not been changed for the US edition.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 19 2013, 4:26am

Post #34 of 52 (162 views)
Shortcut
To be clear... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking (and I may be wrong) that there are differences in the US and UK versions of Downtown Abbey.

I know of no differences between the two regions of North and South. I was just wondering which DVD the gals had just in case there was a difference.

Reading in threaded mode would show replies to posts like this right away instead of running across them further down the flat mode queue! :-)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Nov 19 2013, 5:58am

Post #35 of 52 (170 views)
Shortcut
It's funny, because... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that's exactly what kept me away from the show when it initially aired. I'm definitely not a horror fan in the least, though there are exceptions (for some bizarre reason, I love 'Alien'). But I remember that the ads for the pilot of Fringe turned me off from it a bit. It seemed a little too freaky. But then I gave it a chance when the first season came out on Blu-ray, and was so glad I did. I won't give anything away, but though the first season consists of a lot of stand alone stories - there were elements introduced throughout that hooked me in, and indeed had serious repercussions for what would follow throughout the series.

But, as I said, it was the emotional side of the series that really did it for me. You get hints of this in the early episodes with the relationship that develops between Walter (John Noble) and his son Peter (Joshua Jackson). By the second season, this grows to include Olivia (Anna Torv) - and I'm telling you now, these three will be make you cry, laugh, and cry again.

Do me a favor Magpie - if you ever do give the show another chance, promise me you will make it through the second season episode "White Tulip". Because it is one of the most expertly crafted, and impactful, hours of television I've ever seen. Most impressive of all, it's disguised as a "case of the week" episode - but it flawlessly ties in the character relationships and the overarching mythology of the show - and it's brilliant.

Blush Sorry for going on and on. There are few shows that I will get like this over - and Fringe is definitely one of them.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 19 2013, 6:02am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 19 2013, 6:17am

Post #36 of 52 (157 views)
Shortcut
Threaded [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll never bring me to the dark side Wink

I did see the discussion about North and South being longer on DVD than in Netflix. I'm thinking I may have to get that. I think a rewatch may be in order.

Kim
Valinor

Nov 19 2013, 6:48am

Post #37 of 52 (168 views)
Shortcut
I just checked my US DVD copy [In reply to] Can't Post

It says it's approximately 233 minutes. Maybe someone with a UK copy could check the run time on theirs?

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 19 2013, 2:28pm

Post #38 of 52 (152 views)
Shortcut
I appreciate the advice [In reply to] Can't Post

I do put a lot of weight in what people here can tell me about a movie/show.

My son gave me a 6 mo. subscription to streaming Netflix. We have the discs too; if I had to have only one, I'd do the discs because lots is available on discs that is not on streaming.

But I'm doing my best to zip through a lot of tv shows that I can watch more quickly on streaming than by renting discs. So far I've gone through Haven and Continuum and I'm on Terriers at the moment (neither Continuum or Terriers are available on disc).

Next up is Call the Midwife and I might give Ripper a try since it has Matthew Macfadyen but that's surely going to go the horror route so I might not do more than try it.

After that... perhaps I'll give Fringe another try.

T_Meyers
Bree

Nov 19 2013, 3:09pm

Post #39 of 52 (140 views)
Shortcut
I watched... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Man Of Steel. Twice. 'nuff said.

"Welcome to Novogard – Where lands have been shattered from racial division. Where a powerful government has begun its encroachment onto unwilling societies. Where the magical and the technological collide." - ERIC ELMOOR AND THE GAUNTLET OF GODRIC

"One final word……….. Tolkien and Rowling’s [books] will be family favourites for years to come and if book one of Tommy's [series], Eric Elmoor and the Gauntlet of Godric, is anything to go by he will be joining these great authors!" - comment by Orchard Book Club

Book 2 of the Eric Elmoor Saga, "Eric Elmoor and The Chalice of Cameron," is coming soon!

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 20 2013, 12:30am

Post #40 of 52 (119 views)
Shortcut
Fear not Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

Ripper Street is not horror. It's basically a 19th century cop drama, set in Whitechapel in the years after the Ripper attacks, but is not about them. It's really about the fledgling Metropolitan Police trying to bring some order. MMcF plays the Inspector and, of course, has a faithful sidekick sergeant. There is also an American doctor who is pioneering forensic science with the team. Yes, there is violence, but only commensurate with the times and community depicted.

Hope that's helpfulSmile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 20 2013, 12:40am

Post #41 of 52 (118 views)
Shortcut
I don't have the UK running time [In reply to] Can't Post

but, bearing in mind that N&S was shown originally in the UK on BBC1 (which has no commercials), then each episode was a whole hour of actual content. This may have been trimmed a little when shown with some commercial breaks. I don't know about extras on the DVD, since I, naughtily, recorded the episodes when they were first shown.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 20 2013, 2:18am

Post #42 of 52 (118 views)
Shortcut
you know... [In reply to] Can't Post

somehow, I just couldn't see MM in a horror flick. :-)

I look forward to checking it out.

I just took a look at the other actors. Bronn from Game of Thrones is in there. I like how Jerome Flynn plays that character.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 20 2013, 9:53am

Post #43 of 52 (109 views)
Shortcut
Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

Out of curiosity, at which point in Lost did your fandom of it fade away?

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 20 2013, 2:48pm

Post #44 of 52 (103 views)
Shortcut
I think it was about half way through the second season [In reply to] Can't Post

I went back to see what I'd written here about it because it was a show I started out loving and ended up hating so I wrote about it a bit here! :-)

Mar 3 2007
I was really consumed with the tv show LOST in it's first season. I thought it was a delightful mixture of entertainment and puzzle. It was obvious things meant something and it was up to us to figure out what they meant. Toward the end of the 1st season, it started to drag a little but I was still eager for the 2nd season. But something seemed wrong. It seemed as if they just kept giving us more puzzles and never solving... or letting us solve any of the dozens that have come before. Then I read an interview with writers/producers or someone like that and they basically said, "It doesn't necessarily mean anything. People are looking into it too deeply." They actually kind of made fun of people for taking it so seriously.

I couldn't help but, in my head, contrast this with my relationship with Tolkien. Tolkien was smart. The world had to challenge and satisfy his intellect and by extension, the readers. Like a sculptor, he kept walking around his work making sure it looked right from all angles. Making sure it looked right within it's surroundings. LOST, IMO, was content with a much shallower sense of satisfaction. I think the producers and writers were intelligent but they were most concerned with immediate entertainment. They might allude to something, but that might be all it was... just an 'easter egg', adding enjoyment but with no critical function in the plot as a whole. (And as an aside, I think this is what made my 2nd season negative reaction to LOST so strong. I thought it was something it wasn't and then I was disappointed. I've taken to heart that it's better not to let your assumptions and expectations get in the way of figuring out what something 'is'.)

After the finale, May 2010, I wrote these two posts:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=258445#258445

this one actually sums it all up for me pretty well:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=258448#258448

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Nov 21 2013, 6:17am

Post #45 of 52 (99 views)
Shortcut
12 Years a Slave (First Thoughts) [In reply to] Can't Post

Shaken. Disturbed. Elated. Mesmerized. There's any number of words I could use to describe what I'm feeling right now - but a coherent expression of thought is not yet in the cards. I'll be posting a full review after a second viewing, but in the meantime I just had to say what an effect this film had on me. I knew it would be a tough one, and boy it was. But it was also so many other things.

I'm not one who needed any reminder of what a dark chapter in our history slavery was - I am a great lover of history, and have read, watched, and researched much about the subject. But, my, was this still shocking. The film is a tour de force - emotional, terrifying, hopeful...further descriptors escape me for now. Just...please go see this film. It's difficult, to be sure - but it's also soul-affirming. You will not regret the experience.

One little note: even when I collect my thoughts a bit, I'm not going to delve into the film's awards chances, as I am often wont to do. It somehow seems...unnecessary.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 21 2013, 6:23am)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 7:34pm

Post #46 of 52 (72 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the first impressions. [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a shame we in Germany have to wait so long... I guess they hope for Oscar nominations to boost its appeal in Germany, as they tried last year with Lincoln.

I always wondered about the rather few movies that dealt with the actual horror of slavery... so very interested how they do it in this one.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2013, 11:16pm

Post #47 of 52 (66 views)
Shortcut
I've just watched "An Adventure in Space and Time". [In reply to] Can't Post

And it was beautiful. Quite simply one of the most fantastic things I've ever seen about Doctor Who. It was sheer perfection in every department from start to finish. What a fitting tribute to William Hartnell, Verity Lambert, and 50 years of Doctor Who.

Evil

What a great way to kick of the 50th Anniversary celebrations.

(And yes ... that ending bought a tear to my eye).

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 21 2013, 11:22pm

Post #48 of 52 (58 views)
Shortcut
Me too... [In reply to] Can't Post

On all counts. David Bradley was amazingly like Hartnell in his performance. A tv BAFTA nom for him I hope. The after credits film was nice as well.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2013, 11:35pm

Post #49 of 52 (65 views)
Shortcut
I hope so too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
On all counts. David Bradley was amazingly like Hartnell in his performance. A tv BAFTA nom for him I hope. The after credits film was nice as well.

I was spellbound by his performance - it was so delicate and detailed. I wonder if Bradley will ever replace in Hartnell in any future multi-Doctor episodes. They've done it before, but Bradley was perfect.

I don't think you need to be a fan of Doctor Who either to have enjoyed it. If you weren't heartbroken while Hartnell/Bradely was standing there by the fireplace, then you are surely a Dalek. Wink

Kim
Valinor

Nov 22 2013, 12:12am

Post #50 of 52 (69 views)
Shortcut
Oh cool [In reply to] Can't Post

We get that on BBC America tomorrow night, so now I'm looking forward to it even more! In the meantime, it's a Doctor Who marathon all week!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.