Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Things that will be in the movie but aren't in the book WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!

Gandalf55

Nov 20 2013, 5:11am

Post #1 of 13 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Things that will be in the movie but aren't in the book WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!! Can't Post

So, based on the trailers, there's going to be some things in DOS that aren't in the book. Things such as Taurial, Legolas, a possible romance between the two, The Necromancer (who is briefly mentioned in the book, but will play a larger role in the movie), Gandalf and Radaghast investigating the Necromancer (Radaghast is also only briefly mentioned), and probably some other things. I was just wondering what people thought about it.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 20 2013, 5:51am

Post #2 of 13 (508 views)
Shortcut
I'm fine with MOST of it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am absolutely accepting of changes or additions. The only thing that I would have a concern with is an unnecessary romantic relationship between Tauriel and Kili. I just think it would take up too much screen time and would avert everyone's attention away from our main story, because youhave to develop that relationship over the course of a 2 1/2 hour movie. But I think that has been said to be a friendship only if I read clearly in another thread. I'm all for Azog and Tauriel as well. Tauriel is a guard of Mirkwood and they had those in the book, she just has a specific name in the movie.

I love how PJ & co. take the smallest passages or mentions from the book and expand on it, i.e necromancer, the stone giants, etc.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 20 2013, 11:29am

Post #3 of 13 (382 views)
Shortcut
Speaking as someone who views The Hobbit as a stand alone story (and prefers it to LOTR in many ways) [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I personally saw no reason to get overly excited or annoyed at most of the added material-the relevant appendices material is so vague or irrelevant to the timeline of The Hobbit I never saw any reason to get excited until we saw what they would do with it, personally I would have been fine with no appendices additions.

After seeing what Jackson did with The Fork Monster and Radagast I'm starting to have second thoughts, there is a difference between adapting and needless fan fiction padding, but on the other hand Dol Guldor and Legolas/Tauriel are totally fabricted so from the perspective of the book I have no complaints and I'm willing to reserve judgement (Aprt from the Romance NOT NEEDED at all)-after all the further way it moves from the book the easier it is to reserve my own images.

I don't really know essentially-we know pretty much nothing about how the added material will play out in DOS, but based on Jackson's liberties and fabrications in prior films I'm a little worried.

I don't have much to say.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 20 2013, 11:37am

Post #4 of 13 (338 views)
Shortcut
Agree – great, especially things like the ones you mention [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are great, and so far I like the expansions of the hints provided by Tolkien in these cases.

I'm only concerned about the addition of T and L, for reasons mentioned previously ad nauseum, but provided their roles are not large and do not detract from the main characters I may be able to accept this.

Will have to wait and see before giving an informed opinion.

In Reply To
I love how PJ & co. take the smallest passages or mentions from the book and expand on it, i.e necromancer, the stone giants, etc.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2013, 1:36pm

Post #5 of 13 (327 views)
Shortcut
Some of the "expanded" material I don't mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

...like a bit of fleshing out of Thranduil and the Mirkwood Elves, and Bard and the Master of Lake-town. I'm totally fine with Legolas being present, only I feel he should be there to round out Thranduil's character, not to have an arc of his own (which looks like it might be the case). Im not the biggest fan of Legolas or Orlando Bloom, but nothing needs to be contradicted to bring Legolas into the fold, and if Tolkien had conceived of the character when he wrote The Hobbit, I would bet that he would have at least mentioned him. I'm also fine with the characters of Bard and the Master of Lake-town being more fully fleshed out.

The whole Dol Guldur sub-plot might be expanded from the book, but it is 100% canon that it took place, and during the timeline of the quest. I actually very-much like that they've added it in, instead of just having Gandalf disappear for a while.

As for the "non-book characters", Alfrid is supposedly playing the part of the Master's "councillors" who are mentioned briefly in the book, so I'm fine with him as long as he doesn't turn out to be a carbon copy of Wormtongue. Also, I have no issues with the fact that they've taken an unnamed character (the Mirkwood Captain of the Guards) and made him into a female. Tauriel is not a huge deal to me. I just hope these two ancillary characters don't get too much focus on them. And PLEASE, for heaven's sake, no dumb Elf-Dwarf romance sub-plots...

The outright contradictions like Azog being alive and the High Fells are where my main problems lie from a story-telling standpoint. As has been well-documented on these boards, I strongly dislike Azog's presence in these films. I'd have been totally fine with him if he'd have just died at the Battle of Azanulbizar like he was supposed to. And as has been mentioned by many a poster, putting Bolg in his place would have made much more sense and wouldn't have been as huge a contradiction. It could have been done without making things more complicated, as has been claimed. I also dont like the idea of Nazgul tombs. Would it really have been too confusing for the audience to come up with something that would have hinted at the Nazgul being active without having to place them in tombs since the fall of the realm of Angmar? It almost just seems like it was done this way to pad out Gandalf's storyline. Another thing I'm anticipating disliking is the idea of Gandalf meeting Thrain during the timeline of the quest. Is this why they've gone and made three films? So they could take all of this The Hobbit-related "historical" appendices material and bring it into the current timeline?

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Nov 20 2013, 1:38pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2013, 1:50pm

Post #6 of 13 (292 views)
Shortcut
Edit time needs to be longer!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I also wanted to add that I'm fine with Radagast playing a part in the story, because it makes sense to me that he would have aided the Council, if not as a "full-fledged" member (which is in keeping with the hermit aspect of his persona). I just could have done without some of the obvious Jacksonisms (and if the EE appendices are any indication, it seems some of the people who worked on the films would concur).

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 20 2013, 2:04pm

Post #7 of 13 (298 views)
Shortcut
Changes [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind Legolas being in the movie because he was around during that time. Its just Tolkien hadn't thought of him yet I suppose. Tauriel was someone I wasn't sure on at first but the more I see in trailers and such I do think she is going to be just fine. I think enough of the character to drop the money needed to get a statue of her from Weta. I am happy to see The Necromancer stuff added in and find it pretty interesting. As far as Radagast goes I like the character quite a bit and find him totally within the spirit of something Tolkien would do with him (if he had more of a background). However, I do hate the bird crap and not sure why that was really needed.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Nov 20 2013, 7:21pm

Post #8 of 13 (199 views)
Shortcut
Mods up, Salmacis! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Am I using that phrase right?)

I completely agree with you. I'm fine with a bit of expansion/fleshing out of characters and scenes from the book. A movie is a different medium so I expect there to be a few alterations and expansions in the course of the adaptation. As you said, Legolas being there makes sense, Bard and the Master are getting more personality, Alfrid doesn't seem to contradict anything, and making the Captain of the Wood-elf Guard female is a good choice if more female characters are needed.

Where I become more leery is when the changes go beyond mere adaptation and turn into outright invention and fan fiction. Azog crossed that line for me. As for Tauriel, I don't object to her presence, I just worry about what they plan to do with her. If she fills the role of the Captain of the Guard, I am fine with that. But if she gets her own sub-plot or has a romance with Legolas or Kili or takes focus away from the main characters, I will be less thrilled with her.

I admit I'm a bit of a purist but I'm not one of those who expects a word-for-word translation to the screen. I know enough about storytelling and film to know that's not possible. Changes and alterations are fine. What I object to are unnecessary changes that are not done for the sake of adapting the story but simply to stretch the story to three epic-length movies.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 7:45pm

Post #9 of 13 (193 views)
Shortcut
Yet Again, EXACTLY. [In reply to] Can't Post

Except that I don't have any real problem with Legolas. lol The rest... AMEN!

In Reply To
...like a bit of fleshing out of Thranduil and the Mirkwood Elves, and Bard and the Master of Lake-town. I'm totally fine with Legolas being present, only I feel he should be there to round out Thranduil's character, not to have an arc of his own (which looks like it might be the case). Im not the biggest fan of Legolas or Orlando Bloom, but nothing needs to be contradicted to bring Legolas into the fold, and if Tolkien had conceived of the character when he wrote The Hobbit, I would bet that he would have at least mentioned him. I'm also fine with the characters of Bard and the Master of Lake-town being more fully fleshed out.

The whole Dol Guldur sub-plot might be expanded from the book, but it is 100% canon that it took place, and during the timeline of the quest. I actually very-much like that they've added it in, instead of just having Gandalf disappear for a while.

As for the "non-book characters", Alfrid is supposedly playing the part of the Master's "councillors" who are mentioned briefly in the book, so I'm fine with him as long as he doesn't turn out to be a carbon copy of Wormtongue. Also, I have no issues with the fact that they've taken an unnamed character (the Mirkwood Captain of the Guards) and made him into a female. Tauriel is not a huge deal to me. I just hope these two ancillary characters don't get too much focus on them. And PLEASE, for heaven's sake, no dumb Elf-Dwarf romance sub-plots...

The outright contradictions like Azog being alive and the High Fells are where my main problems lie from a story-telling standpoint. As has been well-documented on these boards, I strongly dislike Azog's presence in these films. I'd have been totally fine with him if he'd have just died at the Battle of Azanulbizar like he was supposed to. And as has been mentioned by many a poster, putting Bolg in his place would have made much more sense and wouldn't have been as huge a contradiction. It could have been done without making things more complicated, as has been claimed. I also dont like the idea of Nazgul tombs. Would it really have been too confusing for the audience to come up with something that would have hinted at the Nazgul being active without having to place them in tombs since the fall of the realm of Angmar? It almost just seems like it was done this way to pad out Gandalf's storyline. Another thing I'm anticipating disliking is the idea of Gandalf meeting Thrain during the timeline of the quest. Is this why they've gone and made three films? So they could take all of this The Hobbit-related "historical" appendices material and bring it into the current timeline?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Nov 20 2013, 7:47pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 7:46pm

Post #10 of 13 (180 views)
Shortcut
Lol. Indeed. Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I also wanted to add that I'm fine with Radagast playing a part in the story, because it makes sense to me that he would have aided the Council, if not as a "full-fledged" member (which is in keeping with the hermit aspect of his persona). I just could have done without some of the obvious Jacksonisms (and if the EE appendices are any indication, it seems some of the people who worked on the films would concur).

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2013, 9:16pm

Post #11 of 13 (158 views)
Shortcut
I definitely wouldn't say I have a problem with Legolas... [In reply to] Can't Post

...just that I'd rather he be used more as a foil for Thranduil's arc, rather than get a storyline of his own.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 11:25pm

Post #12 of 13 (135 views)
Shortcut
And what can I say? I agree without condition. lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...just that I'd rather he be used more as a foil for Thranduil's arc, rather than get a storyline of his own.

Erynien

Nov 21 2013, 7:13am

Post #13 of 13 (132 views)
Shortcut
Concerning the romance. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Orlando Bloom has hinted that Tauriel and Legolas don't actually have a romance. People have been asking about it, and he's been saying things like, "It would never be actualized," and that he sees their relationship more as brother/sister. This is strengthened by PJ's 2011 statement on Facebook that Tauriel has no romance with Legolas.

Kili, on the other hand, has been more or less confirmed to have a romance with her. Aiden Turner made a comment on it early on, while Evangeline Lilly recently said that Tauriel's young age frees her from a strong prejudice because she's so distant from the conflict between Elves and Dwarves and is basically unaware of the exact cause(s) of the rift. Furthermore, a girl who visited the set through Make-a-Wish said, on Tumblr, that she saw a screen with Aiden and Evangeline doing something she knows she shouldn't have seen. Furthermore (Yes, there's more evidence for it!), the Rivendell scene in the AUJ EE foreshadows Kili having an attraction to Elves -- an attraction which Aiden did comment on. So, we do have an on-screen hint that Kili/Tauriel is going to be a thing.

Kili/Tauriel is the least harmful "romance," in my opinion, and would be the least noticeable. Legolas/Tauriel could plausibly happen, as it would happen between Elves, and I feel like that would eat up more screen time and be a bit more obvious. However, Kili/Tauriel would remain more of a platonic relationship, and Aiden Turner said that Kili knows it's never going to happen, though he's going to try, anyway. It would basically be just a crush and not necessarily a romance, then. And we all know what happens to Kili, anyway. . .

(This post was edited by Erynien on Nov 21 2013, 7:15am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.