Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Special Discussion Announcement: The Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth, December 29th

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 19 2013, 10:56pm

Post #1 of 8 (144 views)
Shortcut
Special Discussion Announcement: The Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth, December 29th Can't Post

The Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth or "The Debate of Finrod and Andreth" is a piece we have been contemplating discussing here in the Reading Room, on and off, for quite a while. I recently saw a lot of enthusiasm for this particular work expressed. We have the first chapter (a relatively long one) of Unfinished Tales scheduled to start this Sunday, November 25th, and it will continue until December 22nd - ultimately UT will probably continue until approximately the second week of April.

So, I'm happy to say, for the rather "in-between" week of December 29th and before the rest of UT continues, we have the chance to peruse "The Debate of Finrod and Andreth." Rembrethil has graciously offered to lead this discussion, and I am very excited to have him at the helm (bow here, Rem!)

The Debate in published in Volume 10 of HoME - Morgoth's Ring. So if you need to get a copy, we wanted to put the idea out there to give people time to get a hold of this work and be able to join in. It is not a very long piece per se, but it is rich in character and implication.

Hope to see you there, Fellowship of the Room! Cool

The second TORn Amateur Symposium is running right now, in the Reading Room. Come have a look and maybe stay to chat!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Nov 19 2013, 10:57pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2013, 12:17am

Post #2 of 8 (82 views)
Shortcut
*Attempts to bow gracefully, but trips over his own two feet* [In reply to] Can't Post

No one saw that, right?Wink

It's all cool here.Cool *whistles*

I'll try to keep the discussion manageable sized, but I do like a good ramble, so bear with me if I get dull.

Volume X of the HoME series also contains the much referenced 'Tale of Adanel' and 'Laws and Customs among the Eldar'. I'd highly recommend this volume to anyone who wants to start digging beyond the published works.

Call me Rem. Rembrethil is a lot to type!!

(This post was edited by Rembrethil on Nov 20 2013, 12:23am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 12:30am

Post #3 of 8 (68 views)
Shortcut
I saw nothing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
No one saw that, right?Wink

It's all cool here.Cool *whistles*

I'll try to keep the discussion manageable sized, but I do like a good ramble, so bear with me if I get dull.

Volume X of the HoME series also contains the much referenced 'Tale of Adanel' and 'Laws and Customs among the Eldar'. I'd highly recommend this volume to anyone who wants to start digging beyond the published works.

And not all who ramble are lost...or something. Smile

The second TORn Amateur Symposium is running right now, in the Reading Room. Come have a look and maybe stay to chat!

Mikah
Lorien

Nov 20 2013, 12:39am

Post #4 of 8 (74 views)
Shortcut
Ramble Away Rem... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, that would be a good name for a Country song! I certainly do not mind rambling where this particular piece of Tolkien writing is concerned! I am looking very forward to it. Now I have another excuse to read it. I most love the reading room...it gives me an excuse to read these stories for the 7th (or 100th) time! Love, love, love this piece of writing!

sador
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 3:48am

Post #5 of 8 (64 views)
Shortcut
Won't that be too, err, [In reply to] Can't Post

suggestive a date, regarding the Christian barely-submerged layers?

Anyway - I'm not going on any vacation on that week, and would be delighted to participate. Thank you!

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 3:58am

Post #6 of 8 (80 views)
Shortcut
A laugh here - was actually thinking of school and work schedules... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
suggestive a date, regarding the Christian barely-submerged layers?

Anyway - I'm not going on any vacation on that week, and would be delighted to participate. Thank you!

...which of course are based largely on the Christian holidays, depending on field - so ultimately you are quite right! But glad to know we will see you there Sador!
Smile

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2013, 5:51pm

Post #7 of 8 (41 views)
Shortcut
*sador steals my thunder* *gasp* JK, LOL!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to comment on that in my closing remarks! Well, at least I have the lightning of surprise for those who are not familiar with the Athrabeth. What clever timing!! Although, this might start a discussion on the origins of the traditions surrounding aforesaid holiday. A topic I always find interesting.

My notes are shaping up to be several chronological posts. One post for each idea as it is presented, so I hope it will be a sight more readable than my previous WoT posts.

Call me Rem. Rembrethil is a lot to type!!

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 6:53pm

Post #8 of 8 (45 views)
Shortcut
Too funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was going to comment on that in my closing remarks! Well, at least I have the lightning of surprise for those who are not familiar with the Athrabeth. What clever timing!! Although, this might start a discussion on the origins of the traditions surrounding aforesaid holiday. A topic I always find interesting.

My notes are shaping up to be several chronological posts. One post for each idea as it is presented, so I hope it will be a sight more readable than my previous WoT posts.

And yes, as far as the particular RL 'timing'...nice when things work out that way, isn't it? LaughLaugh Sly

I like the multiple post idea Rem - people can address each segment as they have thoughts. I'm sensing this will be a great discussion. Cool Bring on the lightning!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.