Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
What would Gandalf have done about Boromir?

Annatar598
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 4:22am

Post #1 of 8 (589 views)
Shortcut
What would Gandalf have done about Boromir? Can't Post

This is both a book and movie question.

Pure speculation here.

Had Gandalf survived Moria and reached Amon Hen, what would he have done about the Boromir situation? Would he let Frodo even out of his sight to go wandering? Would he have intervened between Frodo and Boromir? We all know Gandalf to be the grumpiest wizard.

And how would he have reacted about Frodo putting on the ring?

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 5:03am

Post #2 of 8 (377 views)
Shortcut
I think we do know how Gandalf would have reacted to Frodo putting on the Ring. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Take it off! Take it off! Fool, take it off! Take off the Ring!"

(Apologies if that's not the exact quote from Frodo's 'vision' on Amon Hen, as I do not have my copy of FOTR within easy reach.)

As for what else Gandalf would have done, if he had been present, I am not sure. Somehow I get the feeling that he would not have let the situation degenerate so badly to the point of Boromir attempting to take the Ring by force. Maybe he would have staged an intervention earlier. I don't know. That could have turned into a dangerous situation - I can fully imagine Boromir retaliating to any accusation with angry denials and violence. Not pretty. Frown

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 7:34am

Post #3 of 8 (291 views)
Shortcut
I don't know that the situation would have come up [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book, Frodo wanted to be alone to decide what to do - go with Aragorn and Boromir to Gondor to regroup before setting out to Mordor, or head straight on to Mordor with whomever would follow. (Of course Frodo was reluctant all along to have anyone go with him into danger) If I remember correctly, it was assumed that Gandalf would have gone with Frodo to Mordor if he had lived, or would have at least given wise counsel as to what course should be taken. If Gandalf had been there, I don't think Frodo would have felt the need to wander off alone to think; Aragorn would have been more than willing to accompany Boromir to Minas Tirith, and so Boromir would not have felt so desperate. But if it had occurred to Boromir to try something, I think Gandalf would have been prepared. He was always a bit suspicious of Boromir.

In the film, it seemed that the whole group, except for Boromir, intended to go with Frodo straight to Mordor. The wandering off bit was more focused on Frodo dealing with the guilt of potentially letting others go on such a dangerous mission that he felt was his alone to accomplish. But again, I think Gandalf would have been on the look-out for anything suspicious from Boromir.

Interesting question Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 19 2013, 2:00pm

Post #4 of 8 (244 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf would havetaken the ring and given it to Boromir, and then kicked Frodo out of the Fellowship.

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Nov 21 2013, 3:19pm

Post #5 of 8 (192 views)
Shortcut
I think that Frodo left [In reply to] Can't Post

because he saw what the ring did to Boromir, and he feared that that would be the fate of all of the Fellowship (because of Galadriel's warning).

Also note that Aragorn says to Boromir that he would not bring the ring within one hundred leagues of that city, so clearly he knew what was going on with Boromir.

If Gandalf had been there, then he may well have told Frodo that to leave the others was the correct course of action. The question is imo if Gandalf also was susceptible to the power of the ring, and so if that also disqualified him from going on to Mordor. We saw how he reacted back in the Shire, yet he still agreed to accompany the Fellowship, so it would seem that he thought that he could handle it.

He probably couldn't have managed running with the warriors after the orc pack, but I guess another hypothetical is whether the orcs would have managed to grab Merry and Pippin had the wizard been there. I think so as they were overwhelmed.

I feel so sorry for Boromir and he is my favourite character, He tries so hard to make his dad proud and to save his land, and he is very aware of his own shortcomings and his pride. He just wants to do what is right but is ultimately unable to overcome his own failings. It would be interesting to know more about his earlier life. It's very hard to imagine him being another other than the character he played in the fantastic series "Sharpe's Rifles".

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2013, 9:35am

Post #6 of 8 (145 views)
Shortcut
I agree about Boromir [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially after seeing the film. When I first read the book I kept wondering why they trusted him. I don't think Tolkien intended for Boromir to seem like a villain. He was meant to be heroic - too proud and brash, but heroic none the less. But I couldn't see that when I first read it. Sean Bean's performance really let me see the man who just wanted to help his people and make his father proud.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2013, 11:10pm

Post #7 of 8 (60 views)
Shortcut
Denethor [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also note that Aragorn says to Boromir that he would not bring the ring within one hundred leagues of that city, so clearly he knew what was going on with Boromir.

The father. Aragorn, being close to Elrond and Gandalf, knew many things. What was happening in Gondor was no secret to him and Denethor's weird idea as well as personality were no news. Even if Boromir was fine, Denethor should not get the One Ring and Aragorn knew that. IMHO

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

My rambling on travelling, good life, food, wine and other pleasures

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2013, 11:12pm

Post #8 of 8 (78 views)
Shortcut
Use his staff [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I would expect Gandalf to do in case anyone behaves insane. LOL He knocked down Denethor, no reason to not do so with Boromir.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

My rambling on travelling, good life, food, wine and other pleasures

I believe

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.