The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Carrock

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Nov 19 2013, 9:00am

Post #1 of 22 (1050 views)
Shortcut
The Carrock Can't Post

Do you think DoS will open (after the prologue) with the company walking/climbing down the Carrock?!
I do because i hope to see it again...or do you think what we've seen in AUJ was everything and they wont show the Carrock again ?!

Fleuz
Lorien

Nov 19 2013, 9:09am

Post #2 of 22 (677 views)
Shortcut
In AUJ you saw stairs carved into Carrock. [In reply to] Can't Post

So it could be showed. If not in the TC, than maybe in the EE.

And there was planned a dialogue with Gandalf, where he says something like "…this is why the eagles cannot take you to the Erebor". This conversation could take place while they climb down.

(This post was edited by Fleuz on Nov 19 2013, 9:11am)

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Nov 19 2013, 9:31am

Post #3 of 22 (605 views)
Shortcut
i hope so... [In reply to] Can't Post

i really really hope, that it will start (after the prologue) with the dwarfs climbing down the carrock.
the carrock and its landscape was one of my favourite scenes in AUJ
also i want to see, if it really is an island inside the anduin (you can see a small river from the angle, but not a big river like in FotR)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2013, 9:31am

Post #4 of 22 (647 views)
Shortcut
no explanation needed [In reply to] Can't Post

regarding the eagles, they didn't know where they were going, they just flew them to a safe spot.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Fleuz
Lorien

Nov 19 2013, 9:49am

Post #5 of 22 (707 views)
Shortcut
Graham McTavish said [In reply to] Can't Post

that such a scene was actually filmed.
He made a joke, 'cause McKellan said "beagles" instead of "eagles"… Wink

Maybe a scene for the illiterate audience.

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Nov 19 2013, 9:50am

Post #6 of 22 (611 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

...this sounds so much like a scene for the SEE :(

Fleuz
Lorien

Nov 19 2013, 10:03am

Post #7 of 22 (593 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

the generic audience sits in the cinemas. So it would make more sense to show it right away, instead of waiting for the EE, imHo.

(This post was edited by Fleuz on Nov 19 2013, 10:04am)

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Nov 19 2013, 11:17am

Post #8 of 22 (540 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
regarding the eagles, they didn't know where they were going, they just flew them to a safe spot.

For a casual audience the question of why Gandalf, if he can summon them for help, can't use them to take them to Erabor, is a fair one and the answer - that they won't fly over the lands of men and be hunted with arrows - is a satisfactory one. Not to mention that it's natural for the dwarves to ask the same question. I think it fits in and helps establish the eagles as less of a convenient plot get-out option as they may be seen by some.

(This post was edited by Rohirrim Rider on Nov 19 2013, 11:18am)

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 19 2013, 11:20am

Post #9 of 22 (547 views)
Shortcut
I really hope the eagles are addressed in some way in DOS... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll forgive the ending of AUJ because the company had just come out of a heated situation with their leader thought dead.

However, Bilbo really should ask Gandalf about the eagles. That's all it takes. It would quell those who criticize the eagles throughout the series, as well as take up a minimal amount of screen time.

Even though I'm well versed in the books and films, even I felt it odd that the company wasn't more curious about their miraculous escape.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 19 2013, 11:25am

Post #10 of 22 (527 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, and that goes for both TH and LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam and Frodo should also be curious about the eagles who saved them.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 19 2013, 11:30am

Post #11 of 22 (517 views)
Shortcut
I would argue that neither of them were potrayed as being fully conscious during their rescue [In reply to] Can't Post

And that was the culmination of their heroic acts, as well as the moment they were reunited with their companions. More pressing issues were at matter, just as was the case at the end of AUJ.

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 19 2013, 11:50am

Post #12 of 22 (518 views)
Shortcut
Yeah but also the soldiers at the Black Gate fighting [In reply to] Can't Post

including Merry and Pippin & co should be in some shock that giant birds somehow showed up and saved the day, just like they did in the BOFA.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Olorin2607
Lorien

Nov 19 2013, 11:53am

Post #13 of 22 (515 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

the Carrock might still play a part because well there are these stairs and also the rock itself is shaped like the head of a bear. ;) You can even see the ears on the top.

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 19 2013, 12:04pm

Post #14 of 22 (498 views)
Shortcut
Pippin was pretty amazed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazed enough to stop, in the middle of the last battle for all of middle earth, and acknowledge them.

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Nov 19 2013, 12:16pm

Post #15 of 22 (484 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

the only part the argonath played was, that the fellowship navigate through them...they were not even mentioned in FotR

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 19 2013, 1:29pm

Post #16 of 22 (449 views)
Shortcut
I hope so as it would set the scene nicely [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Do you think DoS will open (after the prologue) with the company walking/climbing down the Carrock?!

I hope so. It'd add to the sense of continuity and provide a suitable means of re-introducing audiences to each of the thirteen dwarves as each steps / leaps down into shot one or two at a time.

It appears they're not going to be introducing themselves incrementally to Beorn, so the descent of the Carrock would be a suitable alternative.

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Nov 19 2013, 1:29pm)

Nightwing
Bree

Nov 19 2013, 3:41pm

Post #17 of 22 (395 views)
Shortcut
No idea [In reply to] Can't Post

But I would definitely like to see it again, and have the characters talk about it.

The Silmarillion (film series)
The Flight of the Noldor - Beren and Lúthien - The Children of Húrin - The Necklace of the Dwarves - The Fall of Gondolin - The War of Wrath

Someday.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 19 2013, 3:51pm

Post #18 of 22 (378 views)
Shortcut
I think the Argonath had a greater role than that [In reply to] Can't Post

In the books they give an early glimpse of Aragorn's ancestral pride. In the film they function in this way as well, providing the opportunity to show Aragorn's appreciation of his heritage rather than his usual reluctant attitude when confronted with the subject of his royal blood. This also marks the geographical emergence of the Fellowship into the realms inhabited primarily by men rather than other races.

I think the Carrock too could provide an opportunity to contribute to the plot of the movie. The bear-design might prompt an inquisitive Bilbo to ask Gandalf what the next point on their route is, transitioning smoothly into the Beorn sequence.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 19 2013, 4:56pm

Post #19 of 22 (338 views)
Shortcut
Uhm [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn mentions them.....

Lissuin
Valinor

Nov 19 2013, 6:40pm

Post #20 of 22 (293 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn mentions the Argonath: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlLC1kCH1ps

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2013, 6:47pm

Post #21 of 22 (288 views)
Shortcut
they can fly over mountain peaks... [In reply to] Can't Post

arrows didn't stop them from showing up at the BOT5A or at the end of ROTK.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2013, 7:16pm

Post #22 of 22 (271 views)
Shortcut
I hope we do see it again, [In reply to] Can't Post

it was an awesome location (the best in the film, although Dol Guldur was cool too), and i would love to see the Company descending those crazy stairs.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.