Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What is it about accents?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 12:32am

Post #51 of 99 (243 views)
Shortcut
It's less common where I'm from but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I still hear, mostly waitresses or some nice, very southern ladies at church use "hon" or "sweetie" with complete strangers. In my neck of the woods "hon" (or "honey") is used in reference to men and "sweetie" (or sometimes "sweetheart") is in reference to women. I rarely hear them reversed and it's always women saying it not men(because that would be considered creepy). I actually kinda like being called sweetie, even by a stranger, as long as it is a woman and she is being genuine and not snarky (I've actually never heard it said in a snarky manner).

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 12:34am

Post #52 of 99 (241 views)
Shortcut
Well bless your heart. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 12:39am

Post #53 of 99 (246 views)
Shortcut
Lol *snort* I was totally about to bring that up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I was just about to point out the fact that no one has brought up the southern usage of "bless your heart". That is the term southern people (especially women) use when they want to be snarky! "She looks just like her daddy, bless her heart!" Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2013, 12:42am

Post #54 of 99 (241 views)
Shortcut
The story I've told on here before... [In reply to] Can't Post

In 1976, my partner (now husband) and I packed up our belongings, stored them with our parents and outfitted an old rusty, Dodge van for traveling, sleeping, and cooking and set out to see the country. We didn't have a credit card (I don't know how prevalent they were back then and we were kind of in the hippie/student lifestyle income) but my credit union had the option of withdrawing money from my account at any participating credit union around the country. The limit per each withdrawal was $200 at a time so we'd hit up a credit union about once a week as we traveled across the Canadian plains, down the coast of California, across New Mexico, Arizona and Texas and over to New Orleans. Then we headed up the Mississippi towards home (Michigan).

We stopped in a credit union in Arkansas to withdraw money. To complete this transaction, the credit union would call my home credit union to verify the account and I would provide a password (really high tech, hun?). This phone call went something like this.

Hi, this is the XX Credit Union in West Memphis, Arkansas.....

(a moment of silence as the other end spoke)

West Memphis, Arkansas....

(another moment)

West Memphis.... (spoken more loudly and slower but still with a really heavy accent - at least to our northern ears)

West Memphis, Arkansas (spoken pretty loudly and with some frustration)

I really think this went on for some time and I was having a hard time not laughing.

Here is a sample of what "West Memphis, Arkansas" sounds like when spoken with that accent:
http://www.youtube.com/...youtu.be&t=3m12s

I do declare, the accent spoken by that credit union employee was thicker than that one.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2013, 12:45am

Post #55 of 99 (236 views)
Shortcut
that must be akin to: "That's interesting" in Minnesota [In reply to] Can't Post

as one blogger wrote: Here in Minnesota there is a saying, "That's interesting" when what the person is really thinking is "I have to be nice and I don't want this person to think I am crazy, but I think THEY are crazy so I will just keep smiling and say 'That's interesting.'"

http://weinminnesota.blogspot.com/...ats-interesting.html

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 12:46am

Post #56 of 99 (251 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of "Yanks" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'll never forget walking up some man's driveway, handing him his new phone book and saying something to the effect of, "Here's your new phone book." He took one look at me, scowled, and said [I'm now typing in a thick Cajun drawl], "You're not from around here, are ya. You're a Yank!"

It's funny how, being southern, there's always been this disconnect for me when some British people call all Americans "Yanks". I hear them say that and I immediately think "I'm not a Yank! I'm from the South! Oh, wait a minute..."

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Nov 18 2013, 12:48am

Post #57 of 99 (257 views)
Shortcut
Maybe us northerners and southerners... [In reply to] Can't Post

...need to watch North and South.

"Come, let us part friends despite our differences. If we bcome familiar of each others traditions, we may learn to be more tolerant, I think." ~ John Thornton

Blush

Hey, any excuse I can get.... Cool

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Kim
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 12:52am

Post #58 of 99 (234 views)
Shortcut
I only recently learned about that one [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought they were just being sweet. And then I found out what it really meant from a co-worker who grew up in Kentucky (luckily, she wasn't actually saying it to me Smile).

Kim
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 12:53am

Post #59 of 99 (226 views)
Shortcut
Hee Hee, I vote for that! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 12:53am

Post #60 of 99 (232 views)
Shortcut
depends on who you're talking to [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always noticed that if a southern woman says "bless your heart" to someone who is not southern then she is probably trying to sound nice even if she's thinking something um, not nice. However, if a southern woman says it to another southern woman (who knows what it really means) then you better watch out because that is the closest thing to a backhanded insult you're going to get! Can you say "cat fight"? *meow, hiss*

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 12:58am

Post #61 of 99 (221 views)
Shortcut
Occasionally it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know this nurse who is very nice and when she says "bless your heart" she always means it in a good way and so do some other people. Like if you tell someone you've been sick all week and they exclaim "Bless your heart!" they mean that they feel sorry that you have been feeling so bad. A lot of the meaning comes from the preceding statement and the intonation that accompanies "bless your heart".

Kim
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 1:02am

Post #62 of 99 (227 views)
Shortcut
Ma'am, Miss, Mrs. [In reply to] Can't Post

As Magpie says, Ma'am loosely translates to "you're old" where I live. Honestly, I'd rather they call me Miss, even if it's a transparent ego boost - works on me! And I'm with Ataahua on the Mrs. thing, although it bugs me more if someone does it in person. Look at the ring finger people! I actually prefer that people just call me Kim, we're casual around here.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 1:07am

Post #63 of 99 (233 views)
Shortcut
Oh gawd, me too! :D :D :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I shouldn't laugh, but I am. :D by Ataahua

Can't stop! Can't stop! Can't stop! BEEN THERE!!!
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 1:21am

Post #64 of 99 (251 views)
Shortcut
The only accent that drives me absolutely bonkers is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the New Jersey accent! Especially when it is accompanied by a nasally voice. Has anyone here watched Cake Boss and heard Buddy Valastro's (spelling?) sisters (especially Mary and Grace) yell at each other? That drives me nuts! I don't think I could handle working in that bakery and having to hear them talk like that all the time! I think all the Valastro's are wonderful, kind people but I just can't stand the accent!

I also have never particularly liked French accents mostly because I can't understand them. I love and enjoy hearing most other accents even when I can't understand them. For example I've run into several nurses at my local hospital who recently moved to the US from Kenya. I love, love, love their accents and I could listen to them talk all day but (and I mean the following in the nice way) bless their hearts, I cannot understand a single word they say! Once, my dad was in the hospital and while my mom and I were visiting him for the day the lovely, female, Kenyan nurse who had been making conversation with us asked "Do you help mommy at home?" and I could have sworn she asked "Do you have money at home?" Of course I realized this was totally out of context from what we had been talking about and I literally had to ask her to repeat it five times before I figured it out. It seems that I consistently have trouble understanding most African accents although I think they are beautiful.

The other accents I love are Scottish, Irish, British, and Welsh because I have strong ancestry from those areas. While some people have great difficulty with Scottish accents, I generally understand everything they say unless they are using a dialect that has words I don't know the meaning of. (like young MacGuffin in the Pixar movie Brave) I'm also quite fond of Australian and Kiwi accents and usually understand them. (Maybe because I grew up watching every episode of Steve Irwin and The Crocodile Hunter)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 1:29am

Post #65 of 99 (220 views)
Shortcut
Interestingly enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

...My parents have both worked in jobs where they've had to talk to people from all over the US and they rarely had anyone get offended by their southern manner of speaking although my dad once got chewed out for calling someone Ma'am. In fact they've both had people from up north either comment on how much they love their southern accent or even call them and say "I don't really have anything I need to ask or say, I just wanted to hear you talk in your wonderful accent again!" To which my parents respond "Um, thank you?" Even more interestingly, neither of my parents or I think we sound all that southern, but I tell ya, when I hear my voice on a recording, I think "Do I really sound like that?" because that is the only time I can hear my own accent!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Nov 18 2013, 1:30am

Post #66 of 99 (220 views)
Shortcut
I don't at this point [In reply to] Can't Post

remember the lightbulb-comes-on part of the conversation when I finally realized what she had for me. I just remember being really upset that my horse had been replaced somewhere along the way with a bull and wondering how on earth someone could have made such an egregious mistake! Wish I'd had a recording of that conversation. You're right, she should have figured out what my misunderstanding was, especially because (as clearly a native Kiwi) she should have had some idea about the i-to-u vowel shift issue, and it should have been glaringly clear to her which word I was misunderstanding! Still makes me giggle though.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 18 2013, 1:38am

Post #67 of 99 (223 views)
Shortcut
or come out West [In reply to] Can't Post

where we don't care about that stuff.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 1:39am

Post #68 of 99 (218 views)
Shortcut
A New Zealand endearment I adore is "Gorgeous". [In reply to] Can't Post

Different from the way it's used in the States by men flirting with women, here it's said to children a lot, and they just seem to perk up when it's said with love and affection. Women will also call each other Gorgeous, even strangers, and a smile goes with it, and when on the receiving end, I perk up, too!

Kiwi ladies, am I getting this one right?

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 1:53am

Post #69 of 99 (198 views)
Shortcut
An' I'll b'lieve yer from Baldimer when ya handover the crab cakes! ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 2:04am

Post #70 of 99 (204 views)
Shortcut
I've only been "Thanks, luv!"-ed, as we don't get Kiwis around here. [In reply to] Can't Post

We get Brits and the occasional Aussie, but no Kiwis. Made my shopping day! =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Nov 18 2013, 2:17am

Post #71 of 99 (207 views)
Shortcut
Trade ya [In reply to] Can't Post

For some Natty Boh, hon! Wink

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 18 2013, 3:18am

Post #72 of 99 (222 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't hear it often, but when I do it's between close adult female friends.

Waaay back when I was a young journalist I was interviewing a middle-aged man on the telephone and he kept calling me 'love' - in an, "I'm an older man who who is talking down to you" kind of way. I finally responded by calling him 'sweetheart', and the shocked silence on the other end of the phone was delicious. Evil

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 18 2013, 3:18am)

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 6:01am

Post #73 of 99 (185 views)
Shortcut
Ba ZING a! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done you!

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 18 2013, 6:07am

Post #74 of 99 (182 views)
Shortcut
Just wait until someone calls you 'bro' [In reply to] Can't Post

Then you will know you really are a Kiwi.

Edited to add: I never really thought about the use of 'gorgeous', but I think you are right. It is one of my standard greetings for the children I work with.

(This post was edited by Starling on Nov 18 2013, 6:10am)

Kim
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 6:10am

Post #75 of 99 (178 views)
Shortcut
I have a question about Zild [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that considered a dialect? Or slang?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.