Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Spoiler Alert!: Promotional Sculpture of Smaug reveals head!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Náron the Dwarf
The Shire

Nov 17 2013, 11:01pm

Post #1 of 26 (2098 views)
Shortcut
Spoiler Alert!: Promotional Sculpture of Smaug reveals head! Can't Post

Found this, it looks pretty official:

What do you all think? I would have liked him to be a bit more reddish, but I still think he looks pretty decent.

My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/automatonpictures/

(This post was edited by Náron the Dwarf on Nov 17 2013, 11:09pm)

DuBekar
Rivendell

Nov 17 2013, 11:05pm

Post #2 of 26 (916 views)
Shortcut
Looks cool :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks a bit Japanese, and that is a cool thing! Of course he will be red :)

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuivičnen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2013, 11:11pm

Post #3 of 26 (917 views)
Shortcut
Is there any indication that this is from TH? [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to bare very little resemblance to this:

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 17 2013, 11:14pm)

Náron the Dwarf
The Shire

Nov 17 2013, 11:15pm

Post #4 of 26 (887 views)
Shortcut
It apparently has a plaque with the DOS logo on it. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/...s/automatonpictures/

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2013, 11:16pm

Post #5 of 26 (911 views)
Shortcut
First of all... [In reply to] Can't Post

What's the source for this picture, so that we ourselves can judge how official or not official this is?

utku
Rivendell

Nov 17 2013, 11:19pm

Post #6 of 26 (860 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about that [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see them as the same creature to be honest. Horns do change the general profile a lot, so imagining the Smaug from the trailer with long horns, I can see the resemblance. But yeah, a source would do real good at this moment.

edit: Oh I found another angle from reddit. It's from Bucharest apparently.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 17 2013, 11:59pm)

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Nov 17 2013, 11:24pm

Post #7 of 26 (816 views)
Shortcut
dunno... [In reply to] Can't Post

this part of the city looks pretty messed up
not exactly the location where warner starts a marketing-campaign

Náron the Dwarf
The Shire

Nov 17 2013, 11:28pm

Post #8 of 26 (837 views)
Shortcut
I found it on [In reply to] Can't Post

Google+, it was posted by the same person who uploaded the pic of Bard and his kids that I posted a while ago. Apparently, she found the pic on Tumblr. The original Tumblr post states that the blogger found it on a street corner of the city in Romania that he lived in. Also, the blogger states in their post that the sculpture has a plaque with the official DOS logo. Hope that helps!

My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/...s/automatonpictures/

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2013, 11:31pm

Post #9 of 26 (772 views)
Shortcut
The "spikes" along the chin aren't the same.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's Oakenshield
The Shire

Nov 17 2013, 11:34pm

Post #10 of 26 (776 views)
Shortcut
Cool design [In reply to] Can't Post

Though, as others have said, it doesn't entirely match the version of Smaug seen in the first trailer.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 18 2013, 12:00am

Post #11 of 26 (727 views)
Shortcut
Oversized image removed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Utku, here is the relevant section about photo sizes from our TORN FAQ - feel free to resize the image and post it again with this thread:

The specific guidelines for posting pictures within the message body of your post are as follows: the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 45k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 225k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 45k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 22.5k, etc.). These guidelnes apply to pictures hosted on other sites as well as to pictures posted as attachments to your post. For more detailed help on posting within a message body, check out Magpie's step-by-step TORn Image Posting Guide.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 12:54am

Post #12 of 26 (669 views)
Shortcut
I figured.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The one in the trailer was just a temporary CGI form. I figured we would get the real one closer to release. I never put much stock in that one being the real one (from the trailer)

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 1:11am

Post #13 of 26 (639 views)
Shortcut
I hope it's real, it's much better than the head seen in the teaser [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a fan of what we saw in the teaser, at all. This new pic shows a dragon with a much better snout and chin spikes. He looks more like a 'character' here.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 1:12am

Post #14 of 26 (663 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he's probably been tweeked to some extent, however [In reply to] Can't Post

there's not much resemblance to Smaug from trailer 2 either:

For one thing, his skull appears broader and his horns much shorter here (unless his larger horns are flush with his neck in this shot).

Could be an official statue - the three trolls that WETA displayed at Comic-Con 2012 varied greatly from those in the film; or could be a fan work...or could be an accurate version of the final Smaug.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

xxxyyy
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 1:16am

Post #15 of 26 (689 views)
Shortcut
I already hate it. I see lips... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are those lips?
I forsee lip sync...
I forsee a horrible future...

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 1:18am

Post #16 of 26 (654 views)
Shortcut
Gaaaaah [In reply to] Can't Post

Gaaaaaah!

Retro315
Rivendell

Nov 18 2013, 1:36am

Post #17 of 26 (614 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

On careful study I'm entirely certain this isn't our Smaug. But it is a lovely dragon head sculpture, completely appropriate for promotional purposes. After all, when you want to plug a movie featuring the greatest dragon, but don't know what he looks like, you've got to improvise.

There's plenty of detailed study of the available Smaug imagery out there, and we know enough to know that he's red, not black (there's deep darks, but he's red!). That his head is less elegant and more brutal. And for that matter, the trailer depictions are studded with John Howe design choices (the curved 'crook' spikes) and while it appears movie Smaug does have horns, it's more of a scaly reptilian "mane" of spikes (you really see it in that Extended Edition long shot of the younger, slimmer Smaug), rather than ornamental horns.

This dragon is slightly more cartoonish (dare I say, slightly more Nasmith or Hildebrandt?) - it might not look out of place in Jackson's films, but compared to what we've seen it's more animated, more elegant and less brutal - and to use the same descriptor twice, highly ornamental. That said, it's a fantastic dragon - it still retains the look of a gnarled, spined, brutal and cunning old dragon, and works fine as "A Smaug Design Attempt". I wouldn't hate something like this at all; he's totally fitting the bill of "Magnificent".

Actually-factually, this is almost to the scales how I imagine Ancalagon.

(This post was edited by Retro315 on Nov 18 2013, 1:39am)

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 1:39am

Post #18 of 26 (590 views)
Shortcut
Y'know [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps Ancalagon will have a short cameo bit in these films

deskp
Lorien

Nov 18 2013, 2:08am

Post #19 of 26 (566 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats not smaug, if anything, it's some "inspired by the hobbit dos" art thing going on.

you know how soemtimes theres competitons, "in honor of DOS lets see your dragon deisgn" kindof thing.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 2:13am

Post #20 of 26 (591 views)
Shortcut
wow, that pic of smaug... [In reply to] Can't Post

made my spine shiver!

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 2:16am

Post #21 of 26 (597 views)
Shortcut
its fan made [In reply to] Can't Post

it looks nothing like the smaug we've seen in the DOS trailers and teasers.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 3:41am

Post #22 of 26 (490 views)
Shortcut
I think it's just [In reply to] Can't Post

a really awesome promotional sculpture to get word of the movie out, though I really like it as a sculpture! I don't think it's THE Smaug however.

StarGodziller
Bree

Nov 18 2013, 5:37am

Post #23 of 26 (414 views)
Shortcut
I dunno... [In reply to] Can't Post

It resembles the Smaug in the trailers somewhat, IMO. Plus like with Gollum in TWO TOWERS they could well have refined the design. If this is *the* Smaug, I personally think he looks great.

Sildarion~Valenar
Bree

Nov 18 2013, 5:52am

Post #24 of 26 (436 views)
Shortcut
Don't know if that is official [In reply to] Can't Post

but if they go with that design I will be very happy.

It is very much like the dragon described by Tolkien. Long and sinewy, snake-like.

To sum up my views on the first Hobbit film:

- It's not the Phantom Menace.
- The CGI is worse than LOTR
- Is it Freeman playing Bilbo or the other way round?
- Best villain - Goblin King
- Re: Bestest villain - Gollum
- Thorin is good but Bofur's the best!
- Too much attention on Armitage. Must rectify in DOS
- Azog is a weird heterogenous mixture of General Mandible and old Voldy. (which is bad)
- How many times will SIM have to play Gandalf to win an Oscar????
- I'm a Serkis-freak
- Freeman = Best hobbit till date
- Will I watch DOS? Are you outta yer freakin' mind!!!! Sure I would.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 11:07am

Post #25 of 26 (349 views)
Shortcut
Found that on Twitter as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and asked a Romanian friend. Apparently that sculpture was there long before and is not directly linked to DoS.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.