Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Nov 15 2013, 4:17pm

Post #1 of 4 (66 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Welcome to this week's edition of the Walk to Rivendell, all you good TORn walkers, cyclists, swimmers, runners, barrel-racers, roofers (way to go, gramma!) and all! How go your journeys, and where have they brought you in Middle Earth?

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 12
Cumulative miles: 834
Goal: There and Back Again!

I'm holding my own this week, which is good. I just need to build on my distance slowly. I hate slowly; sometimes, I just want now!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 8
Cumulative miles: 839
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 16 2013, 1:46am

Post #2 of 4 (41 views)
Shortcut
And washing machine movers :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Howdy Fellow Walkers! And thank you, Arandiel, for keeping us on our toes :) I'm glad you're doing so well!

I felt like I was playing a shell game with 3 old washing machines. I've been using a garden hose to fill the one I had for the past 5-6 months. So I found one on Craigs List and brought it home in the back of my Hobbity SUV. I moved out the old one, moved the Craigs one in place, hooked it up... and it didn't work. So tonight I've found a used one at a local store called Grays, brought it home in the back of Hobbity, pulled out Craig, got the Gray one unloaded and moved into the house, moved the first one to the back door and gave it a good shove, then loaded it into the back of Hobbity to take to the scrap yard. uhhh... where was I? ANYWAY, I've been dancing with, lifting, and shoving 3 different machines over the last 3 days. I really hope this Gray's one works!

So it's given me some additional mileage :)

I hope everyone has a FANTASTIC week!!!

Miles covered: 25 miles
Cumulated miles: 2779
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Nov 17 2013, 11:15pm

Post #3 of 4 (39 views)
Shortcut
Milestone [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm breaking my website silence to update my totals. (I had planned to hide from spoilers until the DOS premiere, but rain has kept me in today on the doorstep to a major milestone.)

Miles since last post: 27.42
My updated Official Challenge miles: 395.84 (Just ducking the orcs inside the secret entrance as Elrond comes to the rescue!)
Total miles (Including warm-up and unofficial indoor miles): 475.94 (minus 397= 79) (Just started my escape run through Goblin Town)
Yet to Go: 571.16

In other words, I'm just outside of Rivendell!!!!!! I would like to linger here awhile, but there's work to do.

So while I didn't make it to Erebor before the second premiere, I have made it to Rivendell solely by walking outdoors. I can't be prouder of how far I've gone in a year without cheating.

I do regret not having gone near as far as I hoped and I really regret that I actually gained seven pounds in the process.

I am somewhat bewildered that in eleven months, I'm only averaging 1.2 miles a day. I never could get over that hump to get out daily. I guess that is why the weekends were so grueling.

I look forward to the next year or so. I'm still going to track my miles, but I'm resolving to enjoy the 571 yet to go -- however long it takes. And I'll keep checking in, but likely not until December.

Carry on, everyone!

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 18 2013, 1:00am

Post #4 of 4 (61 views)
Shortcut
*high five* Joe-M!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That your mileage is exclusively walking is fantastic. Well Done! That's the nice thing about WtR...we each can enjoy our own journey. Rivendell would definitely be the place to rest for as long as you can/want. I'm glad you've come out to give us an update *bows deeply* See you when we see you!!!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.