Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you speak another language?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do you speak another language?
Yes
No
A little bit
View Results (68 votes)

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Nov 18 2013, 12:41am

Post #1 of 40 (489 views)
Shortcut
Do you speak another language? Can't Post

Do you know a different language other than your native tongue? Je parle un petite franšais. (I hope I said that right - I am still learning!) Elvish counts!

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 12:56am

Post #2 of 40 (350 views)
Shortcut
I could order off a menu and ask where the bathroom is. [In reply to] Can't Post

In French, for sure, and maybe in German.

But that's the extent of it.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 5:35am

Post #3 of 40 (309 views)
Shortcut
I grew up in eastern Canada, [In reply to] Can't Post

so I had to take French in school. Haven't used it in decades, and it was never that good to begin with.

Also learned Koine Greek a few years ago so I could read the New Testament. I haven't kept that up either.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2013, 5:45am

Post #4 of 40 (304 views)
Shortcut
I like words [In reply to] Can't Post

...and know a smattering of words and phrases in a few languages (Welsh, French, Elvish, Latin). But nothing that would be helpful if I had to speak something other than English.

I can, however, speak graphic design geek. You know... do you want that in cmyk or rgb, tiff or jpg, and what resolution do you need it in?

That makes most people go HUN?

Kim
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 6:05am

Post #5 of 40 (303 views)
Shortcut
a little [In reply to] Can't Post

French: I remember just enough from school that if I read it, I can get the basic gist, but definitely not when spoken (way too fast for me). And I think your sentence should be "Je parle un peu franšais". I think petite is more of a physical size descriptor. I remember that because if anyone asks me if I can speak French, I know to say "un peu". Smile

Spanish: I learned to count to 10 when I was a kid, so will never forget that, but I studied it after I took French, so now I tend to get them mixed up.

American Sign Language (ASL): I learned this alphabet when I was a kid, so again, will never forget that. I also took a class after college, but for some reason, the only word I can remember is "rat". The letter R is when you cross your index finger and middle finger, and rat is when you lay the R on your nose. We used it as a code in bars when approached by jerks. Laugh

Oh, and I also know the Greek alphabet.

sador
Half-elven

Nov 18 2013, 6:48am

Post #6 of 40 (312 views)
Shortcut
You tell. [In reply to] Can't Post

Does my English pass?

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 9:25am

Post #7 of 40 (293 views)
Shortcut
I wonder the same! // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 9:27am

Post #8 of 40 (287 views)
Shortcut
Spoken French [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree about that. I used to think my French was pretty decent after having studied it a couple of years. Then I paid a lot of attention to native speakers of French, and I felt I was back to square one. Especially when I was in France and tried to talk to a Frenchman, when he spoke it felt like everything I learnt went out the window - they talk way too fast for me.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 9:57am

Post #9 of 40 (291 views)
Shortcut
Until I read your profile pages, I assumed you both were native English speakers :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Please tell me you started learning English when you were very young or else I'll have to feel even worse about my very limited ability with French and Spanish Blush Tongue

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 10:09am

Post #10 of 40 (311 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know more than a bit of French, but hardly what you'd call fluent Unsure I can sometimes get by better in Spanish than in French even though I don't actually know as much - probably because I've had more opportunities to use it.

I also know a tiny bit of Polish, but having lived in Poland for two years, I should definitely know more. Blush

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 3:49pm

Post #11 of 40 (259 views)
Shortcut
German, although not the most fluently. [In reply to] Can't Post

I write it and read it a lot better than I speak it. I also took Latin for three years, but it's beginning to deteriorate. Frown

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 18 2013, 4:08pm

Post #12 of 40 (257 views)
Shortcut
What Japanese I've learned is slowly fading thru disuse... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to say nothing of my high-school Spanish.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 4:09pm

Post #13 of 40 (270 views)
Shortcut
Bits and pieces of vocab [In reply to] Can't Post

A little Spanish, just enough to order a meal or drinks, and understand some signs -- not to understand most of the spoken word since it is so fast --
A little French, I was quite good at it in school and can still get a lot of written French, but the spoken word starts to fade away with the years --
A little Swahili, from living in Africa for some years, but again it gets less and less every year.

Funny thing is when I travel, sometimes the language that comes out is not the one I meant to use.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Nov 18 2013, 6:29pm

Post #14 of 40 (256 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am US-born (so, I speak English of course!) but my native language is Lithuanian, and I speak, read, and write it fluently (though not was well as English).

I also like languages, and studied them at school whenever I had an occasion to. I speak and can read (in decreasing order of facility) French, German, and Russian. Though my grammar is pretty lousy in all of them, I don't have the patience to study it and think about it when speaking, and I don't have the experience of using them regularly that would allow me to learn better grammar from hearing correct phrases a lot.

(This post was edited by arithmancer on Nov 18 2013, 6:32pm)

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Nov 19 2013, 1:50pm

Post #15 of 40 (240 views)
Shortcut
Does ASL count? [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be American Sign Language for the uninitiatedWink I am rather skilled at that ( my little brother was born deaf so I have lots of practice). I also can read and write in Latin- speaking not so much unfortunately- but I am still working on that.

Escapist
Gondor

Nov 19 2013, 2:04pm

Post #16 of 40 (235 views)
Shortcut
Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin), and Menominee (Native American) [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say "a little bit" for all of these with some being a little bit more than others.

Spanish: I took Spanish in high school and middle school, listen to some music in Spanish, and was able to eavesdrop on my roommate from Italy because Italian and Spanish share enough roots that I could get the gist of what she was saying, and have been able to manage an intro Spanish class as a sub (although the higher levels were harder for me to be helpful in). I would give myself 6 out of 10 on Spanish - not quite good enough to pass a written test to be certified in the language - but enough to know what is going on in the language and enjoy music and magazines in Spanish. My vocabulary is a little limited and I need to work on remembering how to conjugate some verb tenses. I'm probably equally good in written or oral form. I need to study a little bit more (and practice) for me to feel as confident in this language as I do in English. I do have a Rosetta Stone and some text books for Spanish and it is on my list to keep practicing it. I feel this is important for me as an American in a country where I am projected to be in the minority within the next few decades!

Chinese (Mandarin): I can go shopping, use public transit, and have very basic surface conversation in this language orally. Written form is really hard for me still. I have flashcards, text books, and Rosetta Stone for Mandarin Chinese but practicing it has fallen further down my to-do list based on the way my life has turned. I could get back to it though very easily if the need arises.

Menominee (Native American): They say that you need to be able to say hello, thank you, and a prayer (or something like that) to know a Native American language - well, I have a few select phrases but haven't gotten that prayer down yet so - a very little bit.

Kim
Valinor

Nov 19 2013, 8:03pm

Post #17 of 40 (218 views)
Shortcut
I'd say so! [In reply to] Can't Post

I took a class on ASL and really enjoyed learning it, but since there's no written component, I found it hard to retain once the class was over. I'm a big note-taker, but not very good at drawing, and it's hard to capture the movement of a sign in addition to the sign itself. Lots of practice seems to be the key (although I can still remember the alphabet since I learned that as a kid).

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 20 2013, 12:50am

Post #18 of 40 (221 views)
Shortcut
French, to some extent [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly more than " un petit peu" but not fluent either. I managed to haggle in French in a Moroccan souk, a feat of which I am inordinately proud! I can get by in France, but when working in Montreal for a few weeks, I could not understand their French, nor they mine!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2013, 4:24am

Post #19 of 40 (239 views)
Shortcut
Ummm... [In reply to] Can't Post

We are taught French in English Canadian schools from a fairly young age, well into high school where the language eventually becomes an option. So I had eight years of french in school....however, I have long since graduated from high school. I went to university in a very biliingual city (Ottawa, Ontario) so I was able to put a bit of it to practice. However, university was also several years ago. Unfortunately, living outside of Toronto, I have had little practice with French over the last while, so my French has become pathetically bad. I would no longer consider myself even close to bilingual....I didn't when I was in my 8th year learning, so I certainly do not now!

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 20 2013, 4:08pm

Post #20 of 40 (234 views)
Shortcut
Oui [In reply to] Can't Post

My mother grew up in France and we spoke it sometimes at home, plus I studied it from a young age - by 16 I was quite fluent both in spoken and written French and would even dream in French. Alas, I have not kept it up and most of my vocabulary is gone. But I usually understand someone else when they speak it, and I keep telling myself that if I'd only work a little at it . . .

They skipped me to the senior year of French in high school when I was a sophomore. So the next year, I took German instead. I also took a couple of quarters of Italian . . . from a "Twin Peaks" fanatic so we learned useful phrases like "i guffi non sono qui apperanno" (the owls are not what they seem). Basically I can ask directions and order in a restaurant.

It's been nice for me as singer as I have to sing in Italian a lot and French and German frequently. However, it wasn't much help the last time I went to Europe because we spent almost all of our time in Scandinavia. Didn't really matter as apparently EVERYONE there speaks excellent English from an early age.

I'm also fluent in medicalese, which means I know some Latin & Greek by osmosis. (See what I did there?)

(This post was edited by Annael on Nov 20 2013, 4:11pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 20 2013, 5:40pm

Post #21 of 40 (288 views)
Shortcut
3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Native tongue is German.

I am (hopefully) fluent in English and can handle basic conversations in French.

I also studied Latin in school... but I guess a dead language does not count :D

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 20 2013, 9:29pm

Post #22 of 40 (198 views)
Shortcut
A few [In reply to] Can't Post

My native language is Finnish. I speak English and Swedish pretty well and French and Spanish less well. I've also studied Latin quite extensively, but I wouldn't say I 'speak' it. More like translate it.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 21 2013, 1:50pm

Post #23 of 40 (193 views)
Shortcut
I said "yes" but it's actually [In reply to] Can't Post

somewhere between a little bit and fluent. I speak and read and write Spanish somewhat comfortably, but my vocabulary is limited, and I can only understand it if the person is speaking pretty slowly. Mexican Spanish is spoken very quickly, and I have a hard time following it. I did read LoTR in Spanish a few years ago, and found it very moving. I don't write Spanish online because I haven't figured out how to make the accents, and the accents completely change the meaning of a word (for example "si" with an accent is "yes" but without an accent is "if".)

I also have a smattering of words and phrases in many languages, because I've been doing international folk dancing for over 40 years, and have learned songs in several languages, such as Turkish, Hebrew, and Serbo-Croatian. I learned some German when I spent a couple of summers in Germany, and a bit of French during those summers too. But not enough to carry on a conversation. Lately I've been working on learning the Hebrew alphabet, and picked up a very few words. After weeks and weeks of study I was finally able to read and understand the first sentence in Genesis :-)

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Nov 21 2013, 1:56pm)

Misto
Lorien

Nov 22 2013, 4:57pm

Post #24 of 40 (172 views)
Shortcut
I do [In reply to] Can't Post

As a matter of fact, if I didn't I would not have been able to comprehend the questionTongue
I do speak a bit of Dutch -enough to survive on and read low-brow books- and my French will need a major brush-up within the next couple of months. It's not much at the moment: I can read enough to comprehend the general meaning and do understand enough spoken French to answer in English (I've actually had an entire conversation like that) but any active use of the French language (speaking or writing) is... let's say rather original, at best.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 22 2013, 8:21pm

Post #25 of 40 (176 views)
Shortcut
I've studied Spanish, Latin, and ancient Greek in school [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember much of any of them, though. I could tell you to "Go to the crows!" in Greek if the opportunity ever arises.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.