Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Orlando sheds light on the Tauriel romance rumours in Sibley Movie Guide - **SPOILERS***
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2013, 9:27pm

Post #1 of 37 (2032 views)
Shortcut
Orlando sheds light on the Tauriel romance rumours in Sibley Movie Guide - **SPOILERS*** Can't Post

Just been skimming through my copy of Brian Sibley's Official Movie guide for DoS, and in the section on Legolas there is this comment from Orland Bloom, regarding his relationship with Tauriel:

Quote:"In many ways, I see Legolas as an older brother to Tauriel, who is spontaneous and rather reckless, particularly in regard to the friendship that develops between her and Kili, so I think that Legolas is concerned for her and for how Thranduil will react, which makes it an interesting dynamic."

Is this finally the true storyline? - we'll know in less than a month!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 9:38pm

Post #2 of 37 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Not so bad [In reply to] Can't Post

If this is how it all ultimately turns out, I think I'll be perfectly fine with it.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 9:40pm

Post #3 of 37 (1067 views)
Shortcut
oh god [In reply to] Can't Post

I just had a flashback to Avatar with giant Neytiri holding human bodied Jake Sully in her arms. What are the oddds of PJ paying homage to that with Tauriel and Kili? Evil

Anyway... this could turn out to be either reasonably acceptable or horribly cheesy, I wouldn't mind an odd friendship between Tauriel and Kili with a bit of humour thrown in, but a romance is a bit much ... eh...

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 9:57pm

Post #4 of 37 (926 views)
Shortcut
I see you....;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, couldn't resist! Seriously I can see this being the scene during the Bo5A. Saying that...Tauriel could be dead herself by that stage! I can't see her surviving.

deskp
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 9:59pm

Post #5 of 37 (883 views)
Shortcut
eh [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel and Kili will paropbly die together.

Bo5a is supposed to be aprt of the reason for Legolas to be more anti-dwarf in LOTR

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2013, 9:59pm

Post #6 of 37 (901 views)
Shortcut
Eh, why not? [In reply to] Can't Post

And after her lover dies in her arms she'll fade with a broken heart, thus leaving no loose ends for LotR... Angelic

In Reply To

I just had a flashback to Avatar with giant Neytiri holding human bodied Jake Sully in her arms. What are the oddds of PJ paying homage to that with Tauriel and Kili? Evil

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 10:48pm

Post #7 of 37 (866 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid [In reply to] Can't Post

of this taking up unnecessary screen time if they are going to develop such friendship...ugh.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2013, 11:02pm

Post #8 of 37 (796 views)
Shortcut
Not a fan [In reply to] Can't Post

of any of this friendship/romance stuff. Is this kind of thing why we're getting 3 films instead of 2? Ugh.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 11:08pm

Post #9 of 37 (777 views)
Shortcut
Same... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm pretty open to certain changes, i.e Azog, but this is not going to enhance the plot in any meaningful way. It's just distracting us from the important plots that are the point of this whole story.

(This post was edited by tarasaurus on Nov 17 2013, 11:11pm)

marillaraina
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 11:21pm

Post #10 of 37 (763 views)
Shortcut
Speak for yourself [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it ties into the point of prejudices and grudges and overcoming them, which is present throughout both stories.

Thorin's Oakenshield
The Shire

Nov 17 2013, 11:29pm

Post #11 of 37 (783 views)
Shortcut
Agreed (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point. Plus, it will give Kili an actual arc, so that we care about him when he dies. It could also create an interesting conflict between him and Thorin. I do have my doubts on how this romance will work out (assuming it is a romance), but I don't think that it will be anywhere near as detrimental as people are making it out to be. Just because something isn't in the book that doesn't make it inherently bad.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 11:33pm

Post #12 of 37 (727 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am speaking for myself.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2013, 11:54pm

Post #13 of 37 (708 views)
Shortcut
why? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want Tauriel to die (with or without Kili). Notice Orlando used the word "friendship". I've never thought the Kili/Tauriel thing would be a full blown romance, but rather he flirts, she's not romantically interested but they do become friends. Orlando seems to be confirming that.

Also, I've never seen a particularly good explanation for why exactly it would be a problem for Tauriel to be alive during the time of LotR. Despite her apparent "We're all in this together" attitude, what reason would she have to be directly involved in all of that? She is the captain of the Mirkwood guard and Thranduil's body guard so even when Thranduil sent Legolas as a messenger to Rivendell in order to say "Oops, we lost Gollum" Thranduil wouldn't have sent her because she would have been needed in Mirkwood to continue her regular duties. Even in the movie where an exact explanation for the presence of the different characters at the Council of Elrond isn't given, no one (other than the hobbits, Gandalf, Aragorn, Elrond, Arwen who at that point had found out about the Ring already) would have known until the Council actually happened exactly what was going on and what a big, hairy deal it was. Therefore, Thranduil would have no reason to think he needed to send one of his best warriors with his son on an errand that they didn't know would turn into some big quest.

I'm not asking anyone to like Tauriel, but I am asking you cut her some slack and stop wishing death upon her Frownwhen you don't really know how her story will play out. In my mind there is no reason why she has to die.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 12:32am

Post #14 of 37 (674 views)
Shortcut
Called it months ago [In reply to] Can't Post

I've thought for a long time that while there will not be any "romance" as such, Kili may indeed die in Tauriel's arms as a visual homage to Avatar:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...latest_reply;so=ASC;

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

marillaraina
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 12:58am

Post #15 of 37 (617 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am speaking for myself.

I should have put a smiley after that, it wasn't mean to be an argumentative "speak for yourself" but more of a teasing one.

DarkWixardAaron

Nov 18 2013, 2:15am

Post #16 of 37 (616 views)
Shortcut
My opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like this mary sue character to begin with, but now I can tolerate her.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 2:48am

Post #17 of 37 (551 views)
Shortcut
no offense taken :) [In reply to] Can't Post

all is good Smile

(This post was edited by tarasaurus on Nov 18 2013, 2:49am)

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 9:01am

Post #18 of 37 (440 views)
Shortcut
Kili will fall for her; how she'll reciprocate, though, is anyone's guess [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've never thought the Kili/Tauriel thing would be a full blown romance, but rather he flirts, she's not romantically interested but they do become friends.

Yes, his forthcoming attraction to Tauriel was pretty much confirmed by the inclusion of the "I don't go for elf-maids myself" line in the AUJ EE. It's her response that's up in the air at the minute.

Let's hope you're right Smile

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 11:53am

Post #19 of 37 (370 views)
Shortcut
You've said it for me. Ugh. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and I'm pretty open to certain changes, i.e Azog, but this is not going to enhance the plot in any meaningful way. It's just distracting us from the important plots that are the point of this whole story.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 12:03pm

Post #20 of 37 (400 views)
Shortcut
Can see this play out nicely. [In reply to] Can't Post

I want the Elves of Mirkwood to get some depth, and Tolkien simply did not provide that in TH.

Tauriel (and her dynamic with father and son) could feel very Tolkienish imho and could add a lot to both the Woodland Realm episode as well as the lead-up and the actual Bot5A.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 12:42pm

Post #21 of 37 (400 views)
Shortcut
Point from recent EW [In reply to] Can't Post

Entertainment Weekly's Nov. 15 issue just came out here, and in the DoS article they make the same point: "Emotional depth is somewhat lacking in The Hobbit, almost across the board. This was particularly true of the Elves of the Woodland Realm." (First sentence from Peter Jackson). Thus the decision to add more depth by bringing in Legolas (adding to the father / son theme) and to make the unnamed Captain of the Guards a female elf, since there are no female characters whatsoever in the book.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 12:51pm

Post #22 of 37 (374 views)
Shortcut
I would say PJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is very correct with that assessment.

In this expanded interpretation of TH this part sure needed embellishment imho.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Nov 18 2013, 2:19pm

Post #23 of 37 (336 views)
Shortcut
Very happy that they are just friends! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure it will play out great.

Imladris18
Lorien

Nov 18 2013, 3:41pm

Post #24 of 37 (295 views)
Shortcut
Poor Tauriel and Radagast. [In reply to] Can't Post

What can men do against such reckless hate?

I'm pro-life on both accounts :)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2013, 3:44pm

Post #25 of 37 (272 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want Radagast to die either because, despite the bird poo, I find him somewhat charming in an odd way.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.