Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does anyone in the AUJ EE say "an unexpected journey"?

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17 2013, 7:41pm

Post #1 of 22 (900 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone in the AUJ EE say "an unexpected journey"? Can't Post

In each of the LOTR films, someone says the film's title, and from the trailer of DOS, we see Balin responding to Bilbo's "What is this place?" with "... the desolation of Smaug".

Since I don't yet have the AUJ EE, but I was curious whether anyone in the extended edition says "an unexpected journey"?

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 7:45pm

Post #2 of 22 (582 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo does say "Nothing UNEXPECTED ever happened..."

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 7:46pm

Post #3 of 22 (595 views)
Shortcut
The closest we get [In reply to] Can't Post

Old Bilbo's final line in the TE, "and nothing unexpected ever happened" is I think as close as we get in AUJ.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17 2013, 7:47pm

Post #4 of 22 (498 views)
Shortcut
It's not the same :( // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17 2013, 7:49pm

Post #5 of 22 (480 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the response [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked how they fit the film titles in the dialogues in the LOTR films. Ah well...

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 7:55pm

Post #6 of 22 (507 views)
Shortcut
It was probably just an over sight on the film makers... [In reply to] Can't Post

The original three each had their respective names within dialogue and now we know it's the same for DOS. I think it's a safe bet they will work 'There and back again' as dialogue in film three. Strangely, this first movie is just missing it though. Hmmm... Unsure

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 17 2013, 8:29pm

Post #7 of 22 (452 views)
Shortcut
In all these years [In reply to] Can't Post

I never twigged that each of the LOTR films' titles were in the films' dialogue!

To misquote Gandalf: "The LOTR films really are amazing movies, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about them in a few months, and yet after 12 years they can still surprise you at a pinch.”

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Barrow-Wight
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 8:45pm

Post #8 of 22 (408 views)
Shortcut
It would have sounded too forced [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought about it earlier I don't think they could have worked it in without it sounding bad in LOTR it wasn't so bad still a bit corny though

ELROND: You shall be THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING!

SARUMAN: Who now has the strength to stand against the armies of Isengard and Mordor? To stand against the might of
Sauron and Saruman and the union of THE TWO TOWERS?

GANDALF: Authority is not given to you to deny THE RETURN OF THE KING!

whenever I hear the title of the movie in the movie I'm reminded of the joke from family guy where they talked about the same thing lol

(This post was edited by Barrow-Wight on Nov 17 2013, 8:46pm)

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 8:48pm

Post #9 of 22 (389 views)
Shortcut
Most [In reply to] Can't Post

of those lines were in the book anyway.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17 2013, 10:08pm

Post #10 of 22 (311 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm sure they could've found a clever way [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps old Bilbo saying "It began with *clears throat* an unexpected journey" Smile

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17 2013, 10:11pm

Post #11 of 22 (313 views)
Shortcut
Crazy right? I just learned a few months back that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... one of the Elves accompanying Arwen to the Grey Havens in ROTK is Jed Brophy. You can see him here at top and right.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17 2013, 11:52pm

Post #12 of 22 (267 views)
Shortcut
Well, since "An Unexpected Journey" isn't the name of the book.... [In reply to] Can't Post

or even the name of a chapter, the cases aren't quite the same. The Hobbit is the name of the book, and that was certainly used multiple times. The phrase "an unexpected journey" doesn't actually appear anywhere in the Hobbit book that I can remember. The chapter title is "An Unexpected Party". I think it would have been a bit awkward to work the unexpected journey phrase in, since the really unexpected thing was the party, during which the dwarves assume Bilbo knows what's going on, and Gandalf tries to talk Bilbo into going along. If they'd called it "An Unexpected Adventure", that might have been nearer the mark and a little easier to work reasonably into the script.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 1:07am

Post #13 of 22 (241 views)
Shortcut
An Unexpected Journey [In reply to] Can't Post

Is one of Bilbo's rejected titles for his memoirs.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 1:18am

Post #14 of 22 (224 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you are right – I always thought those lines were rather cringeworthy [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought about it earlier I don't think they could have worked it in without it sounding bad in LOTR it wasn't so bad still a bit corny though

ELROND: You shall be THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING!

SARUMAN: Who now has the strength to stand against the armies of Isengard and Mordor? To stand against the might of
Sauron and Saruman and the union of THE TWO TOWERS?

GANDALF: Authority is not given to you to deny THE RETURN OF THE KING!

whenever I hear the title of the movie in the movie I'm reminded of the joke from family guy where they talked about the same thing lol

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 1:22am

Post #15 of 22 (218 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Stupid Tolkien

Barrow-Wight
Lorien

Nov 18 2013, 1:23am

Post #16 of 22 (226 views)
Shortcut
yes it was [In reply to] Can't Post

And I've been meaning to mention it but I keep forgetting lol thanks

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 18 2013, 3:10am

Post #17 of 22 (201 views)
Shortcut
Was it really? Or was it "An Unexpected Adventure"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to check my book. There's suddenly too many variations on this and I admit I'm totally confused Laugh

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 10:29am

Post #18 of 22 (148 views)
Shortcut
No – not 'stupid Tolkien' [In reply to] Can't Post

But the delivery of these lines in the films was decidedly cringeworthy and forced.

In Reply To
Stupid Tolkien

MTT Gandalf
Bree

Nov 18 2013, 10:37am

Post #19 of 22 (153 views)
Shortcut
"My Unexpected Journey" from LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

The "Unexpected Journey" title appears only in The Return of the King. It was in the Red Book:

My Diary.
My Unexpected Journey.

There and Back Again.
And What Happened After.

Adventures of Five Hobbits.
The Tale of the Great Ring, compiled by
Bilbo Baggins from his own observations and the accounts of his friends.
What we did in the War of the Ring.

DarkWixardAaron

Nov 18 2013, 3:23pm

Post #20 of 22 (106 views)
Shortcut
My opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally don't think that Bilbo had a clue what was going to happen, i mean he can expect all he wants but the stuff that went down.. Nah, i would never expect that. Lmao.

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Nov 18 2013, 4:55pm

Post #21 of 22 (89 views)
Shortcut
Nope!.... but we already know we get "The Desolation of Smaug" spoken [In reply to] Can't Post

by Balin in DOS.
And I'm sure it's almost certain we will hear "There and Back Again" spoken in TABA.

Way to break the continuity AUJ! Tongue

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Nov 19 2013, 6:40am

Post #22 of 22 (39 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily his fault! [In reply to] Can't Post

As he never really wanted the book split into 3 Volumes in the first place, at the behest of his Publisher! ;)

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.