Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Major spoiler confirmed!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lungorthin

Nov 17 2013, 5:03am

Post #1 of 32 (3574 views)
Shortcut
Major spoiler confirmed! Can't Post

Orc woman!

Hi everyone! im new to torn and have always been looking on the message boards. i just saw this today which motivated me to share with you all!
im from australia and i was reading a magazine called new idea. in it there was an interview with Conan stevens (Bolg) and Manu Bennet (Azog) who are both aussie actors. They went on to explain some spoilery information. Bolg and azog have a lot of screentime together in the next two installments. Apparently their relationship will develop throughout the films. they mention as quoted " conan stevens- "though they are orcs, these two share a common enemy and motivation in slaying the line of durin. Bolg can be some what of a rebel to his fathers order (laughs) i dont want to know what kind of a spanking an orc dad would give his boy!" then another part of the interview where manu comes in he mentions this, which got me really excited!
Manu Bennet- "One thing that tolkien described orcs as is truly evil. Azog is an evil orc, but one could say there is some exception of ill fortune and tragedy in him, particularly when you see the motivation for him to hate thorin. It all revolves around a certain orc woman close to Azog, but I cant say too much. It might be film three stuff."

I cant really upload pictures from the mag as i dont have a scaner, but it is all true!Smile
who could this orc woman be though? azogs wife? azogs sister? azogs mum? Im not sure but im sure you will all have some ideasSmile
looking forward to my time on the one ring.net Cool thanks

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 17 2013, 6:23am)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 5:08am

Post #2 of 32 (1421 views)
Shortcut
Mae govannen, lungorthin! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to TORn!

This is a very interesting tidbit indeed. I never dreamed they would actually go so far as to include orc women, although we know they had to have existed. This should be interesting. Shocked Crazy Laugh My bet would be on Azog's wife (do orcs marry? Hmm)/Bolg's mother. Perhaps she was killed by Dwarves and that is why Azog swore vengeance on the line of Durin?? The idea is so amusing I almost like it.

Am now picturing an orcette (orcess? orcwife? How do we call orc women?) in an apron making cookies with sharp implements of death and destruction... Laugh

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

boldog
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 5:13am

Post #3 of 32 (1355 views)
Shortcut
what new idea issue is it frombecause my mum reads it [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds interesting I just want to read it myselfWink
This is literally what I have dreamed for agesSmile

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

lungorthin

Nov 17 2013, 5:16am

Post #4 of 32 (1314 views)
Shortcut
hi Boldog and werde spinner [In reply to] Can't Post

to answer your question boldog its actually from an issue in septemberSmile

boldog
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 5:21am

Post #5 of 32 (1316 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bang on the money, there it is in a september issue. interesting read it will be. Thanks for this Again lungorthin!
pity it couldnt be in a more popular movie magazine though.....

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Nov 17 2013, 2:51pm)

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 5:23am

Post #6 of 32 (1316 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

If this comes to pass, it will potentially be the most hilarious plot point in all six films. Please make this happen! Sly

patrickk
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 5:44am

Post #7 of 32 (1232 views)
Shortcut
Not sure they both Aussies [In reply to] Can't Post

...careful at offending Kiwis by making antipodean assumptions; bit like mistaking Canadians for Americans; or Irish for Brits etc

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 17 2013, 5:48am

Post #8 of 32 (1217 views)
Shortcut
As long as they keep Russell Crowe [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not mind.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 17 2013, 6:24am

Post #9 of 32 (1193 views)
Shortcut
I've shifted the spoiler to the body of your post [In reply to] Can't Post

so that those who wish to avoid it can do so.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Nov 17 2013, 6:26am

Post #10 of 32 (1203 views)
Shortcut
I'm not surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to recall seeing an orc woman warrior in The Return of the King, right at the siege of Gondor.

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 6:35am

Post #11 of 32 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha so weird [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm picturing female orcs as looking like the male orcs, but with long fluttering eyelashes, lipstick, and tattered leather aprons for clothes. Now I feel I must photoshop this.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 6:36am

Post #12 of 32 (1186 views)
Shortcut
actually.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I went looking at LotR screencaps. I found this picture - is that an orc woman on the top right?? If so, she looks awesome!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 17 2013, 8:27am

Post #13 of 32 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Bomby is All for Gender Parity! [In reply to] Can't Post

WE need a little " Female ORC Energy"?

Phillipa was Right...

Bomby would love if there wazz
a Legion of Gundabad FemaleORCS?
in the BO5A...sorta

"Amazon-mbies"

"You don't see many GoblinGirls, anyway?

What?
Did Goblins JUS' spring out of the Ground?"

Somewhere, Deep, Deep Down
.. in GoblinTown
there is a
DayCare
Center?

This Thread could Be
ORCJoke Central
{Like a Pants Thread?}

"Honey, I can't go on a Killing Spree
It's my Time
of the Month?"

Azork to BettyBad

"Honey, I just ATE the Kids"

TommyTuneFull

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Nov 17 2013, 8:31am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2013, 9:29am

Post #14 of 32 (1062 views)
Shortcut
I think this is more a case of [In reply to] Can't Post

a woman playing an orc. And yes, she/he looks awesome-- love the Moria orcs.

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 11:19am

Post #15 of 32 (936 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to read this myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I just find it odd none of this has been brought up until now, and it's had two months to find it's way around the internet.

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Nov 17 2013, 11:28am

Post #16 of 32 (950 views)
Shortcut
Good info [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bolg and azog have a lot of screentime together in the next two installments. Apparently their relationship will develop throughout the films. they mention as quoted " conan stevens- "though they are orcs, these two share a common enemy and motivation in slaying the line of durin. Bolg can be some what of a rebel to his fathers order (laughs)

Very interesting to learn that Azog and Bolg are both supposed to get a lot of screen time in the next two films.
And they have it with each other is an interesting bonus. I guess this is another one for the 'Stevens is still in as Bolg" crowd.

(This post was edited by Mithfânion on Nov 17 2013, 11:30am)

Shagrat
Gondor

Nov 17 2013, 11:29am

Post #17 of 32 (971 views)
Shortcut
Can't see it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm convinced Manu is joking here.

deskp
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 5:20pm

Post #18 of 32 (659 views)
Shortcut
oh oh oh [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope stevens is still bolg... And I hope his designs is a good one.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 17 2013, 5:29pm

Post #19 of 32 (697 views)
Shortcut
For some reason [In reply to] Can't Post

the thought that Azog has a mother creeps me out. Crazy

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

architecthis
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 5:46pm

Post #20 of 32 (682 views)
Shortcut
Dumb [In reply to] Can't Post

This is absolutely ridiculous if true.

This will humanize the Orcs and for what reason? I can only assume to make them more sympathetic characters and sympathy does not equal depth.

these next two might be worse than the first.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 7:50pm

Post #21 of 32 (537 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The bit about the female orc sounds like Manu being a bit facetious in the light of so many characters seemingly being driven by private feuds against the killers of family members. However, I think the comments on increased screen time for the pair and possible characterization for both are plausible.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Na Vedui
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 8:28pm

Post #22 of 32 (530 views)
Shortcut
This, of course... [In reply to] Can't Post

... explains why Azog is always so clean. Mrs Azog (or Azog's Mum) is on his case, and she's a holy terrorWink.

Lio
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 8:51pm

Post #23 of 32 (468 views)
Shortcut
Would you have scans/pictures by any chance? [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I'm concerned this spoiler is too good to be true so I would love to see some "proof", if you're willing to take the time to share it. Smile It would be greatly appreciated!

By the way I tried looking up this magazine. It looks like one of those, well, kind of trashy celebrity gossip magazines, so if the article in question does exist I'm not surprised it's been missed up until now. Blush

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2013, 8:59pm

Post #24 of 32 (462 views)
Shortcut
Meh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not buying it. The concept of an orc woman being included and her being Azog's motivation is a bit far fetched for me. Plus, it sounds like this magazine is kind of a gossip magazine and I rarely read or believe what is printed in those things. Why wouldn't this have come out before now if it was true? Wouldn't Manu Bennet have said something about it elsewhere as well?

Anyway, Mae Govannen, lungorthin! Welcome to the forums!Smile

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 9:49pm

Post #25 of 32 (428 views)
Shortcut
Though I honestly doubt we will see Bolg until TaBA [In reply to] Can't Post

This sounds like material they have added to pad things out even further. It won't fit in DoS, seeing as there's already a ton of material to deal with, but it could be used to ramp up the tension at the start of TaBA.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.