Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A Spoiler-y Disucssion of Relationships

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Nov 16 2013, 10:12pm

Post #1 of 8 (826 views)
Shortcut
A Spoiler-y Disucssion of Relationships Can't Post

We all talk about the fact that Thorin is the uncle of Fili and Kili but if one hasn't read the book then one doesn't know that. Tolkien didn't give the reader this little interesting tidbit until Laketown which was pretty far into the narrative. So when do you think PJ and CO will drop this information into the movie?

If you know someone who saw the film but hadn't read the book, did that person question you as to why Thorin seemed to favor Fili and especially KIli?

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Nov 16 2013, 10:25pm

Post #2 of 8 (440 views)
Shortcut
Lake-town [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't there a rumor (or a hint in some of the released footage) that Kili receives a wound while they're in Lake-town? Perhaps Thorin will show special concern for him and it will be revealed in dialogue that Kili and Fili are his nephews and thus the heirs of Durin.

I don't think any of my non-book friends picked up on Thorin favoring Fili and Kili. It's fairly subtle in the first movie.

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 1:18am

Post #3 of 8 (306 views)
Shortcut
I think the Thorin, Fil and Kili connection will be established early in DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly before the barrels. It must have been in the original cut of AUJ, before the 3 movie split. I refuse to believe Peter would have left it out of the first movie and only referenced it in the second. It would have seemed out of nowhere.

Thorin may introduce the Dwarven company to Beorn, or maybe later to Bard or the Laketowners in general, and at this point he could say 'my nephews' or 'my sister's sons' something like that. Or when Kili gets injured, Thorin could say 'my sister would not thank me for leading her youngest to his doom...you will stay here'

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Nov 17 2013, 3:51am

Post #4 of 8 (282 views)
Shortcut
I was actually surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili and Kili's relationship to Thorin wasn't mentioned in AUJ. It's pretty important, but for some reason PJ left it out. At this point, no matter where he introduces the fact in DoS it's going to leave some moviegoers saying "Huh? Wait, they're related? Why wasn't this mentioned before?" It's an odd thing to leave out of the early part of the story.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2013, 4:10am

Post #5 of 8 (267 views)
Shortcut
Jackson can't win. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even when he sticks to canon people are displeased!

In the book, we learn of this blood relationship in Laketown.

Joe20
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 4:45am

Post #6 of 8 (247 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't be surprised if [In reply to] Can't Post

the tapestry we see in the sneak peek trailer with the family tree on it will be when the general audience will learn of their lineage.

Glum
Bree

Nov 17 2013, 3:52pm

Post #7 of 8 (140 views)
Shortcut
I believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that Thorin may have spoken about the relationship here (I hoped we would see this in EE...):
http://thearmitageeffect.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/the-critics-have-spoken-epically-cool-armitage-impressive-in-role/49-thorin-fili/

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 17 2013, 7:09pm

Post #8 of 8 (102 views)
Shortcut
Isn't Kili & Fili's relationship to Thorin mentioned late in the book, too? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Fili and Kili's relationship to Thorin wasn't mentioned in AUJ. It's pretty important, but for some reason PJ left it out. At this point, no matter where he introduces the fact in DoS it's going to leave some moviegoers saying "Huh? Wait, they're related? Why wasn't this mentioned before?" It's an odd thing to leave out of the early part of the story.

If I remember right, Tolkien also took his time establishing the relationship between Thorin and his nephews.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.