Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
My latest needlework project is finished

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 7 2013, 4:12am

Post #1 of 17 (269 views)
Shortcut
My latest needlework project is finished Can't Post

Two years ago I shared my Tolkien Tapestry with you. Since then I've made this cross-stitch for Peredhil lover of Sirius Black

and then went on to make this one of Thorin Oakenshield for Rosie-with-the-ribbons. Now I'm doing a couple of cross-stitches for myself SmileHeart
I started this back in August this year.

This is how it looked after I finished the first page of the design

And here's page two completed

Page Three finished

And yesterday I finally completed page four. So now he can head off to his new home with Rosie-with-the-ribbons Cool

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Kim
Valinor

Nov 7 2013, 7:56am

Post #2 of 17 (161 views)
Shortcut
Oh my gosh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Where did you get that cross-stich pattern of Thorin? I may have to get that! Awesome job! Looks really tough though, with only shades of gray and black to work with?

Sirius looks great too!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 7 2013, 8:09am

Post #3 of 17 (163 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually made the pattern myself. Not sure if there's one out for sale, so can't help you with that, sorry. It did get a bit difficult with the shades which are very close to each other, but it was great to see the finished result. It was much the same with the Sirius one, some of the facial colours were very close to each other, but they made a huge difference in the finished piece.

Oh and I made the Sirius pattern too.

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 7 2013, 9:37am

Post #4 of 17 (151 views)
Shortcut
Wow, thats amazing Kel! [In reply to] Can't Post

You are so talented, what with these and your cake designs etc! Perhaps you should open up your own mail order company?! Yeah, I know, time, family etc...Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 8 2013, 1:53am

Post #5 of 17 (137 views)
Shortcut
Those are great! [In reply to] Can't Post

How did you make them? It looks so hard.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 8 2013, 2:06am

Post #6 of 17 (140 views)
Shortcut
The hardest part [In reply to] Can't Post

is keeping the numbered position right.

It's really annoying and time consuming to discover you've misplaced ONE stitch by ONE place!! (Yep did that and had to undo a whole section that was thrown out by it FrownBlush) Really shouldn't work on these things when you're tired or you've got a migraine, mistakes are much too easy.

Apart from that though, they're relatively simple to make, it's just stitching. I use a programme to make the designs, print them off and follow them.
This is what you're staring at/following as you're working (though, of course, it's in A4 size, so it's easier to see Wink)

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Nov 8 2013, 2:50am

Post #7 of 17 (135 views)
Shortcut
Wow, Kel. [In reply to] Can't Post

These are awesome! They must take a lot of patience to complete. Who knew cross-stitching could be so majestic? Cool Lucky Rosie!

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 8 2013, 3:17am

Post #8 of 17 (140 views)
Shortcut
This one was relatively easy [In reply to] Can't Post

and didn't take that long to make, for a cross-stitch. The Sirius one took over a year because it had over 50 different colours in it.

The one I'm doing now has around 25 different colours and is on a black background, which adds it's own problems. Oh and it's much bigger, it measures 50cm wide x 30cm high.

Here's a sneak peak of what I'm hoping it will look like when it's finished. (Remember it's on a black background, so the areas that look white will be black). I've put the original image beneath it. Once it's finished, if I don't like the look with just the black background in place of black thread, I'll go back and put them in.

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

(This post was edited by Kelvarhin on Nov 8 2013, 3:18am)

Kim
Valinor

Nov 8 2013, 3:34am

Post #9 of 17 (135 views)
Shortcut
OK, now I'm even more impressed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never tried to create my own pattern, unfortunately I'm not that artistically creative, so I mostly have to stick with crafts that come with a pre-set pattern. That's so cool that you can come up with your own patterns. I think I need to commission you to make the Thorin one on a pillow for me. Laugh

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Nov 8 2013, 4:27am

Post #10 of 17 (134 views)
Shortcut
That will be stunning when it's finished! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I might be a bit creeped out at seeing Gollum's face appear under my needle.Wink Do share a picture of this when it's been completed! Smile

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 8 2013, 4:32am

Post #11 of 17 (135 views)
Shortcut
Hope so! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm expecting it to take me around a year to complete, lot of work in this one. Hope I haven't bitten off more than I can handle! ShockedLaugh

I will post it, if, when it's finished.

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 8 2013, 4:34am

Post #12 of 17 (140 views)
Shortcut
Sorry dear [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm fully booked up for the next two years, working on two poster sized cross-stitches. One I've mentioned below in reply to Grey Elf.

Funny you should mention making him into a pillow though, Rosie-with-the-ribbons is thinking on turning this one into a pillow Cool

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

RosieBaggins
Rivendell

Nov 12 2013, 9:27pm

Post #13 of 17 (110 views)
Shortcut
Oh, wow.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is amazeingt! You are really good.

Beware the shiny
They are there to steal your heart.
You must just say no.

On another note, wonder what obscure holiday it is today? No? Of course you do! That is why I have created This calender to tell you! Enjoy. I take suggestions if I missed your favorite holiday.

dik-dik
Lorien

Nov 14 2013, 7:13pm

Post #14 of 17 (126 views)
Shortcut
This is amazing, I'm speechless. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I can barely mend a hole in fabric and am not skilled in anything needle-related at all, so I'm gobsmacked. How do you get the proportions so accurate? And how long does such a work of art take? Are you on DevArt? I'd fave this instantly. Heart

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 16 2013, 7:37am

Post #15 of 17 (106 views)
Shortcut

I use a programme to transform images into cross-stitch charts and go from there.

The one of Thorin took around 3 months to do, from start to finish, and not working on it every day. The one of Sirius took a year, but it's a lot bigger and has over 50 colours in it. The current one I'm working on I'm hoping will only take 6 months (same as the tapestry), but I'm probably being over optimistic, it's 30cm high x 50cm wide :-\

I am on DevArt, though I tend to upload fairly spasmodically, because the needlework I do takes so much time to do. Anyway it's here if you want to have a look :)

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

dik-dik
Lorien

Nov 16 2013, 11:24am

Post #16 of 17 (126 views)
Shortcut
Those sure took a lot of care and time, great respect. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am on DevArt, though I tend to upload fairly spasmodically, because the needlework I do takes so much time to do. Anyway it's here if you want to have a look :)

Off there now to fave it. Great to see Tolkien artwork among your crossstitches, too! :)

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

mj

Nov 26 2013, 6:00pm

Post #17 of 17 (100 views)
Shortcut
Lovely!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am also a stitcher so I really know how much effort and time went into these...just beautiful!!

"...laceration?....evisceration?....incineration??"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.