Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
The Lord of the Rings Extende Edition Blu-ray Boxset.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

toothsayer
The Shire

Nov 16 2013, 5:54am

Post #1 of 31 (498 views)
Shortcut
The Lord of the Rings Extende Edition Blu-ray Boxset. Can't Post

We all see the post on the main page showing that WB has a huge sale going right now on the EE Blu-ray's, but I remember hearing about this set for yeaaars, and when it finally came out, I heard bad stuff. I heard that the Films themselves were beautifully mastered, but that the Appendices were simply the same DVD's from the DVD release years passed.

Has Peter or anyone expressed interest in releasing a Blu-ray collection of The Lord of the Rings with ALL the Appendices on Blu-ray? I don't mind re-buying The Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray, but I just know, with my luck, once I do, a set will be announced with HD, Blu-ray Appendices, and personally.

(This post was edited by toothsayer on Nov 16 2013, 5:59am)

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Nov 16 2013, 11:54pm

Post #2 of 31 (324 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems unlikely that Warner Bros. would think it worthwhile to spend all the money it would take to remaster close to twenty hours of material to Blu-ray quality. The extra sales they would gain most likely wouldn't be worth it.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2013, 1:49am

Post #3 of 31 (298 views)
Shortcut
Also, [In reply to] Can't Post

if the LotR Appendices footage was shot in standard definition and not HD (it was over twelve years ago), it really wouldn't make much difference. In the Blu-ray AUJ Appendices, when they show footage from the LotR Appendices, it sure looks like standard definition.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Nov 17 2013, 1:51am)

toothsayer
The Shire

Nov 17 2013, 6:34am

Post #4 of 31 (255 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

You'd think they would go to the trouble though, if they're going to market the collection as a Blu-ray set. But, I assume, even though the movies were not released until 2001, 2002, and 2003, all of the behind scenes stuff were filmed in the late 90's; so I suppose it makes sense that all the footage would naturally be in SD or less. I just bothers me they didn't go to the trouble. That was a real buying point for me, the Appendices.

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 4:30pm

Post #5 of 31 (253 views)
Shortcut
DVD was the only sensible option, really [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I heard that the Films themselves were beautifully mastered, but that the Appendices were simply the same DVD's from the DVD release years passed.

As has been said, there'd be very little point in upscaling the Appendices as they were filmed in SD and the increase in resolution would be negligible.

There's also the fact that WB would have to redesign the Menus etc now that they were all on one blu-Ray rather than three DVDs.

For all sorts of reasons, leaving them as they were made sense...

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 4:33pm

Post #6 of 31 (257 views)
Shortcut
Yep, I heard (and saw) "bad stuff" too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
when it finally came out, I heard bad stuff

So did many, many others. But it wasn't about the resolution of the Appendices. It was about the highly questionable re-grading that Fellowship had undergone...

But that's been covered (and re-covered) here many times before Crazy

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

toothsayer
The Shire

Nov 17 2013, 6:32pm

Post #7 of 31 (243 views)
Shortcut
Re-grading? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll admit my naivety to this subject... a re-grading of the Fellowship? That is the first I've heard of this. What happened with that?

toothsayer
The Shire

Nov 18 2013, 6:29am

Post #8 of 31 (219 views)
Shortcut
Ah, nevermind... [In reply to] Can't Post

I see now. Apparently, the entire movie has a strange shade of green over it... but Towers and King are apparently fine.. which is bothersome... they were my least favourite's of the trilogy, and I was truly just looking forward to Fellowship.... Interesting.

But I am sure I read somewhere, I just can't remember where, that Peter would work on a better EE collection once he was done with The Hobbit. I remember reading that he didn't have time to personally oversee the process of changing the films onto a Blu-ray format, and had to forgo the Appendices being on Blu-ray for now. I'll keep looking for the interview, and I suppose I'll keep waiting for a proper EE Blu-ray set, with all HD features and a better Fellowship conversion.

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 9:21am

Post #9 of 31 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Towers and King are sensational; Fellowship, on the other hand... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I see now. Apparently, the entire movie has a strange shade of green over it... but Towers and King are apparently fine.. which is bothersome...

Sorry not to have replied sooner Smile

The entire movie does indeed have a cast of green over it, as amply demonstrated by a bazillion hardcore AV enthusiasts in a bazillion hardcore AV forums. It's also illustrated (quite shockingly) in this YouTube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/...kZE8&safe=active

The fact that it's uniform across the entire film (although more detectable to the human eye in some places than others) suggests it was some sort of error in the production. The thing is, Jackson and Lesnie actually did deliberately re-grade the film, too, and their work underlies the green cast. Some of it is lovely and has led to a noticeable improvement in the look of key scenes (the Last Alliance prologue and the sojourn at Rivendell are the finest examples). However, other alterations are awkward, contradictory or just plain ugly. Saruman, for example, is now bathed in a blue light whlist in Orthanc even though in Towers he isn't. Merry waistcoat is quite unarguably orange now as Boromir falls even though in King it remains the original yellow. Add to that the blue eyeballs during the "seem fairer, feel fouler" sequence, the blue snow on Caradhras and the ugly acidic greens of the Midgewater Marshes and you have enough shortcomings in the aesthetic of the film to prevent it from becoming the unassailable must-buy classic it should have been.

In my opinion, anyway Smile

That's not to say it's unwatchable; just a disappointment...

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Nov 18 2013, 9:22am)

toothsayer
The Shire

Nov 18 2013, 10:40am

Post #10 of 31 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let us hope that Jackson does not become a Lucas, and decide to drastically alter his films every 5 years..

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 4:28pm

Post #11 of 31 (1192 views)
Shortcut
Kendalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Your video link does not work.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2013, 4:47pm

Post #12 of 31 (215 views)
Shortcut
re: link... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kendalf, the software for this forum abbreviates long links. If you just copy the link into a message and your browser software turns that copied url into a clickable link (without you having to do anything else), it uses the abbreviated url... not the actual url.

You have to code in the link. If you're in advanced editor, use the link button and be sure you erase all the starter code (http://) before you paste your copied url into the pop up window.

I don't think you're in basic editor but if you are, click the 'url' button, paste your link after the code that appears, then click that same button which has changed slightly to indicate it's closing the code.

Sorry if this is confusing. There are so many variables it's hard to know which piece of advice to give you.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 6:12pm

Post #13 of 31 (196 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Woah!

I have absolutely no idea what you just said Crazy Hmm, let me see...

http://youtu.be/Vwcm-73kZE8

Edit: Yay, it worked! Thanks again, Magpie Smile

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Nov 18 2013, 6:14pm)

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 6:15pm

Post #14 of 31 (184 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, Faleel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Your video link does not work.

See the post above this one Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2013, 6:22pm

Post #15 of 31 (196 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I have absolutely no idea what you just said

Don't worry, I'm used to it. See my post in Pollantir re: what languages I speak.

You figured it out. Or it was a happy accident. In the end, all was well. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Olorin2607
Lorien

Nov 18 2013, 9:58pm

Post #16 of 31 (186 views)
Shortcut
Uh oh. [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownFrownIs it really that bad? and if yes, is it somehow possible to adjust that issue with the TV perhaps? Because I will probably get that Blu ray set for Christmans this year. Unimpressed

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 18 2013, 10:53pm

Post #17 of 31 (178 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is bad but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is it really that bad?

Well, yes, it is Unsure but you need to bear a couple of things in mind.

Firstly, you may not notice these issues as much as many others do. There have been plenty of threads on this forum where viewers have stated they can't detect the green cast at all. There have been others where viewers have professed to love the new re-grading in its entirety (including the aspects I find irksome above). Although the cast is there and these changes have been made, whether you'll be upset by them seems to be down to your personal susceptibility and taste.

Secondly, even if you do detect these changes, you'll never be watching the original, more natural grading simultaneously on an adjacent screen (probably!!) so your eyes will adjust and you'll get used to the new look. Again, whether you'll accept it is another question entirely.

As for adjusting your TV settings, that's been a topic here, too! The general consensus, as far as I can recall, for those that weren't too pleased with the new look was to watch it with the lights off and turn the Brightness up in order to try to "burn away" the cast.

Anyway, I'll reiterate what I said in an earlier post. Much as I find these issues extremely frustrating and desperately disappointing, they don't render the film unwatchable and Towers and King are sensational, reference-quality transfers.

In other words, don't scrub it off your Christmas list Wink

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2013, 10:39pm

Post #18 of 31 (151 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't picked up the LotR EE Blu-ray set yet, but i'd read about the problem, and i didn't realize it was that bad. It looks truly awful. Still gonna get the set since TT and RotK sound fine, and it'll be good to see this botched job for myself. But man, that is disappointing.

How could Jackson and Lesnie let this happen?

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 2:49am

Post #19 of 31 (143 views)
Shortcut
Its fine [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got the set and it looks stunning. Nothing about how FOTR, TTT, ROTK looks truly awful at all.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 2:56am

Post #20 of 31 (134 views)
Shortcut
No, its not. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it is at all. The movie looks stunning and beautiful on Blu/HD. I would without reservation recommend getting this set. Cool

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2013, 5:49am

Post #21 of 31 (132 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely gonna check it out with my own two eyes.

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 10:38am

Post #22 of 31 (121 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's fine...I've got the set and it looks stunning. Nothing about how FOTR, TTT, ROTK looks truly awful at all.

As I've stated repeatedly above, whether you think Fellowship looks "truly awful" is (fairly obviously) a matter of taste. As I also stated above, you're right, Towers and King are reference-quality, among the finest blu-rays you can lay your hands on. Their audio, too, which hasn't been mentioned yet, is sensational.

As for Fellowship, let's just agree to disagree Smile

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 21 2013, 10:44am

Post #23 of 31 (120 views)
Shortcut
Good idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it'll be good to see this botched job for myself

Well, to be honest, that's the only way to resolve it! Laugh You've just had a reply from Elessar saying that "nothing looks truly awful". Like I said, it's all down to susceptibility and taste.

Yes, a new grading has been applied that hasn't been applied to Towers and King. Yes, changes have been made (eg blue light in Orthanc) that now contradict the later films. Yes, there's a demonstrable green cast over the entire film (prominent in some areas, nigh invisible in others).

But whether you find these factors disappointing / acceptable / heart-breaking / frustrating / pleasant / tolerable / better / shocking is entirely down to you Smile

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2013, 11:20am

Post #24 of 31 (105 views)
Shortcut
Yup. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But whether you find these factors disappointing / acceptable / heart-breaking / frustrating / pleasant / tolerable / better / shocking is entirely down to you.

I'm prepared for anything, including disappointment.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 21 2013, 11:22am

Post #25 of 31 (111 views)
Shortcut
That's always the best move [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.