The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
An Unexpected Journey EE DVD Disc 1 & 2 Break Point

Lenbo
The Shire

Nov 16 2013, 12:46am

Post #1 of 7 (635 views)
Shortcut
An Unexpected Journey EE DVD Disc 1 & 2 Break Point Can't Post

When does the transition between disc 1 & 2 occur on the DVD format of the extended edition?

I'm curious since this was such a "memorable" feature of the LOTR Extended Editions and it isn't necessary on the regular Blu-ray.

Elutherian
Rohan

Nov 16 2013, 1:46am

Post #2 of 7 (390 views)
Shortcut
Right after.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... The Azog scene at Amon Sul.

The second disk begins with Bilbo wandering Rivendell.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 16 2013, 4:15am

Post #3 of 7 (291 views)
Shortcut
A better question to me is WHY?!! I don't understand. The extended Hobbit 1 is no longer than the [In reply to] Can't Post

Theatrical version of Return of The King. Why, near at ten years later, can that same length not be fit on one disc? Tedious foolishness.

In Reply To
... The Azog scene at Amon Sul.

The second disk begins with Bilbo wandering Rivendell.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lenbo
The Shire

Nov 16 2013, 4:35am

Post #4 of 7 (243 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the reply! [In reply to] Can't Post

As for why? From my understanding, it's to ensure the best possible video and audio presentation on the DVDs.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 16 2013, 10:47am

Post #5 of 7 (178 views)
Shortcut
No foolishness. [In reply to] Can't Post

But they talk about the DVDs, so a digital movie in that crisp quality probably does not fit on one.

The BluRay version is only one disc (3D two again).

I am sure they would not do that unless they have to... would save them money.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 16 2013, 10:48am)

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 16 2013, 4:15pm

Post #6 of 7 (114 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the break point actually allows for better flow IMHO, cutting straight from the Amon Sul scene to the Rivendell scene does not feel "right"

burgahobbit
Rohan

Nov 17 2013, 4:32pm

Post #7 of 7 (54 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

And it instantly felt right as the breaking point. I really like where they decided to split the first three movies and wasn't sure about AUJ beforehand, but I hadn't even considered Amon Sul and it worked so well having it fade to black after Azog's yell. I understand why people feel its unnecessary, I actually had the same thought, but I like it because (well I'm kind of like TheHutt when it comes to format continuity), it fits with the rest of "the collection". At the end, there will be twelve "parts" to watch of this middle-earth saga.

What's best is that "the story continues on disc 2" is exactly the same format and font as the LOTR ee's, with the exception that the cursor (or whatever you call it) pointing at the options is a brown acorn.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.