Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What happened to Orlando bloom only getting a few minutes of screen time?

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Nov 15 2013, 5:39pm

Post #1 of 18 (1502 views)
Shortcut
What happened to Orlando bloom only getting a few minutes of screen time? Can't Post

When shooting started I remember reading that Orlando bloom agreed to do a minute or two cameo for a million dollars a minute and was only in New Zealand for a day or two. Now it looks like he has a major role...what happened!? And on top of that he has said he doesn't want to do movies anymore but wants to focus on stage acting. Did I miss something? Did PJ make him an offer he couldn't refuse?

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Nov 15 2013, 5:44pm

Post #2 of 18 (913 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

In the meantime his role extended. Right after the decision to make three films. Maybe prior to that he spent less time on the screen, though I still believe he played some big part in BoFa.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Nov 15 2013, 5:46pm

Post #3 of 18 (832 views)
Shortcut
Don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

When looking at the reactions and interviews of Elijah Wood, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Orlando Bloom, and Christoper Lee it is obvious how excited they all were and have been to return for this. None of them looked like there was any arm twisting or sweetheart deals needed but just the opposite. I think Cate Blanchett said she had her agent inquiring as soon as the movie was announced and she certainly doesn't need to go looking for work.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 15 2013, 5:59pm

Post #4 of 18 (812 views)
Shortcut
I think this is largely a commercial decision [In reply to] Can't Post

To draw in those who squealed over Legolas as depicted in LOTR, for example in Asian markets, where AUJ wasn't as popular as it is in Europe.

Hopefully his appearance won't be too protracted and won't take away from the characters that really mean something in the story. Unimpressed

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Nov 15 2013, 6:00pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 15 2013, 6:06pm

Post #5 of 18 (717 views)
Shortcut
Don't know either [In reply to] Can't Post

tho am surprised to hear if he was EVER supposed to be on screen for a few minutes. From interviews sounds like this is a construct of PJ and Boyens - and it sounds as if Bloom had enough sense to be uneasy
about his presence and the fan reaction. And I can imagine the WB execs being all for it, trying to tap the LOTR connection some more and sell even more.

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 15 2013, 6:32pm

Post #6 of 18 (716 views)
Shortcut
I squealed myself.... [In reply to] Can't Post

at the first trailer "OMG, what happened to YOUR FACE!!!!!!" Been toned down since, but maybe it was a commercial decision to make Legolas look like
a Twilighter - worked for the Cullens.

Hopefully various snarky comments all over the internet (like "you mean there's actually hobbits in this movie?", "what happened to the dwarves",
"Bilbo has been sidelined" etc.) reached PJ and paused his (and Boyen's) elf-love.

Lovers AND haters were mentioned during the LA fan event, Bloom has always seemed to be aware that his presence is open to debate, and
even the fan during the NZ fan event was asking PJ about time given to new characters compromising the old (which I think PJ diplomatically dodged).
PJ & co. may be telling the story the way they want to, but it will be for the fans to respond to. Or not - no matter how many elf pictures are released.
(Except for Thranduil, but we never see much of him - the one elf I WANT to seeFrown)

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 15 2013, 6:53pm

Post #7 of 18 (611 views)
Shortcut
?? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When shooting started I remember reading that Orlando bloom agreed to do a minute or two cameo for a million dollars a minute

This was sarcasm right? Bloom doesn't come close to a million dollars a minute.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2013, 6:59pm

Post #8 of 18 (640 views)
Shortcut
Legolas was ok in LotR, [In reply to] Can't Post

Though probably my least favorite of the Fellowship. He served his purpose well, and he had his moments. And i wasn't against him being in The Hobbit films as it makes sense that he'd be there. But i do hope that his part isn't too significant. I see him being a good sounding board for Thranduil, giving voice to the internal conflict of the Mirkwood elves and their place in the events of the larger world (i.e. the conversation with Tauriel). And obviously to add some action to the proceedings. Anything more (romantic or otherwise) would be too much as far as i'm concerned.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2013, 7:08pm

Post #9 of 18 (615 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind Legolas being present... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he's got much more of a legitimate reason to be present than some other characters.

I just hope they don't go overboard and make him a major character. Rather, his presence (and Tauriel's) should round out Thranduil's arc.

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 15 2013, 7:34pm

Post #10 of 18 (561 views)
Shortcut
That was never more than a rumor, and was obviously false. // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 15 2013, 7:47pm

Post #11 of 18 (579 views)
Shortcut
He bloomed..... ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

To be fair, we still don't know how much screen time he has. Showing a lot of him in the pre-film publicity was obviously a marketing decision. Including him makes sense story-wise, and I'm guessing that what he does is really about shedding light on Thranduil and the set-up Mirkwood elves.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2013, 7:56pm

Post #12 of 18 (533 views)
Shortcut
Legolas = $$$ [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why his role is bigger.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 15 2013, 7:57pm

Post #13 of 18 (528 views)
Shortcut
I agree Dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
To be fair, we still don't know how much screen time he has. Showing a lot of him in the pre-film publicity was obviously a marketing decision. Including him makes sense story-wise, and I'm guessing that what he does is really about shedding light on Thranduil and the set-up Mirkwood elves.

I think the marketing and the story are two different processes.

I love the idea of seeing more of his past and how that past includes (and also illuminates) Thranduil. My hope is that having more elements of his past in mind will enhance him even more in LOTR (which I already like). Fear would be that we see things that don't synchronize...but with the same crew on both projects I very much doubt anything like that will be done, so I am looking forward to more of his story. From what I have seen of him (including the live event) he seems happy and excited about revamping the role, and I tend to think that bodes well to for having it be believable and consistent.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2013, 8:11pm

Post #14 of 18 (492 views)
Shortcut
Also, giving him too large a role [In reply to] Can't Post

in these films will make it seem very odd when he's relegated to a supporting character in the final three films.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2013, 8:38pm

Post #15 of 18 (474 views)
Shortcut
Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I was born the same year LOTR was, and read the books when Orli was in diapers...

I still am looking forward to his presence in Hobbit.

I liked LOTR far more than the abbreviated Hobbit book, and am thrilled to see the "extended version" we get from PJ. Character development! World development!! History development!!!

Come one, Tolkien would have done it if he hadn't got distracted...

Go outside and play...

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 16 2013, 2:59am

Post #16 of 18 (277 views)
Shortcut
Ummm..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully various snarky comments all over the internet (like "you mean there's actually hobbits in this movie?", "what happened to the dwarves",
"Bilbo has been sidelined" etc.) reached PJ and paused his (and Boyen's) elf-love.

I'm guilty of those snarky comments. Blush I wouldn't be surprised if I'm on Jackson and Boyens Public Enemies Number 1 List. Crazy

Anyway, I do love Legolas, and he's one of my favorite characters, both in the novels and films. But I'm uneasy about his appearance in the films because he may have been included for fan service, rather than for storytelling purposes, and if there is a romance with Tauriel...Well Evil

(Except for Thranduil, but we never see much of him - the one elf I WANT to see)

He's really the one Elf I want to see too, and sadly we haven't seen much of him, on the contrary, we've seen more of Legolas and tacky Tauriel. Unsure

I just realized, I'm in Gondor now! Yes! Cool

(This post was edited by Ziggy Stardust on Nov 16 2013, 3:01am)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 16 2013, 4:35am

Post #17 of 18 (244 views)
Shortcut
I just re-watched [In reply to] Can't Post

FotR and TTT tonight, and I have to say I forgot how much I enjoyed Legolas' character. I don't think he will be a problem in The Hobbit at all. He WAS alive during that time of course, so it makes sense that he's there. When he is serious Legolas is when I like him most; he's a bit more less-developed than the rest of the characters in the movies, but he's still fairly important and we will hopefully see some cool character development in DoS! Smile

(This post was edited by tarasaurus on Nov 16 2013, 4:36am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2013, 12:57pm

Post #18 of 18 (155 views)
Shortcut
I agree fully with what you say here...// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.