The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Last Scene of DoS

AinurMäiron
The Shire

Nov 14 2013, 10:17pm

Post #1 of 23 (1414 views)
Shortcut
Last Scene of DoS Can't Post

Hello guys, I'm new here... so, i've been thinking, what's your thoughts about the last scene of The Desolation of Smaug? Like the eye of Smaug opening at the end of AUJ, what will be this time?

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 10:20pm

Post #2 of 23 (926 views)
Shortcut
I could see it... [In reply to] Can't Post

... being the people of Laketown and those of the Company who stayed behind looking at Erebor in flames, if Smaug dies in TABA. Then we see "Directed by Peter Jackson". Then the song starts.

If Smaug dies in DoS it might be an intercut of the dwarves in Erebor realizing they recaptured treasure and kingdom with the sorrow of the survivors in Laketown who have lost everything, walking and swimming through the remains of the city.

I am confident, however, that the movie will not close with a Necromancer or Gandalf related scene.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 14 2013, 10:21pm)

AinurMäiron
The Shire

Nov 14 2013, 10:26pm

Post #3 of 23 (837 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be terrific!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2013, 10:31pm

Post #4 of 23 (806 views)
Shortcut
Depends... [In reply to] Can't Post

...on whether Smaug dies in this movie or not. I'm really hoping he dies so keeping that in mind, maybe we see Smaug's body at the bottom of the lake, smoke/fire rising from LakeTown as the last of it's denizens evacuate to the shore. Then we could have a moment with the dwarves in Erebor doing something, then cut to the elven force preparing to head to the Lonely Mountain. Then some visual such as a zoomed out scenic view that somehow implies what is to come?

Not knowing how DOS will end (and for that matter what all will be included) makes the last scene a little difficult to predict.

Oh, and Welcome to the message boards!Smile Hope you have fun!

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 10:35pm

Post #5 of 23 (779 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the eye of Sauron this time (or something to do with the Necromancer) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Fleuz
Lorien

Nov 14 2013, 10:40pm

Post #6 of 23 (779 views)
Shortcut
I imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin and company, happy for the fact Smaug has left the mountain, look terrified over to Esgaroth and seeing the Town burning. With Smaug hovering over it.
And they believe the rest of their company just died or will die in the dragon fire.
Followed by the Credits with "I SeeFire" ...

hobbitrunner
The Shire

Nov 14 2013, 10:51pm

Post #7 of 23 (763 views)
Shortcut
Cliffhangers... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have some trouble with the idea of Smaug fleeing the mountain and that being accepted as the ending. Somehow I think the general audience (not Tolkien aficionados anyways) might find that anticlimactic.

So, yes that makes sense when you know what's coming for the rest of the story, but at the same time it might leave some with a sense of being letdown.

Just my 2 cents.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 10:55pm

Post #8 of 23 (735 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

But him having died by the end of DoS might create that question of "Why the heck another movie?"

So I really hope they found a good solution.

I think the DoS/TABA split will be the moment that will decide for most people what to think of the three-movie-idea (which will largely influence how this trilogy will be judged overall, imho).

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2013, 10:57pm

Post #9 of 23 (760 views)
Shortcut
I definitely think it could be the former of your suggestions... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still convinced the clash between Smaug and the Dwarves was invented to provide the climax of the second movie...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 10:58pm

Post #10 of 23 (752 views)
Shortcut
This is the main reason... [In reply to] Can't Post

... why I am rather convinced he will not die in DoS.

Although I thought so from the beginning of the trilogy-decision I got very uncertain at some point.

But when I saw Thorin jumping with the fire behind him all I could think of was "climax of that arc".

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 14 2013, 11:22pm

Post #11 of 23 (718 views)
Shortcut
I reckon it will be..... [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarves thinking it's all over and the treasure is really theirs....

... then a glimpse of the word spreading and the armies getting ready to march on the mountain.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2013, 11:39pm

Post #12 of 23 (686 views)
Shortcut
That would work for me [In reply to] Can't Post

There definitely needs to be something that implies that there is more to come and that would do it.

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 15 2013, 1:13am

Post #13 of 23 (646 views)
Shortcut
I think it's definitely gonna end on the Dol Guldur story [In reply to] Can't Post

The natural cliffhanger ending to DoS will be Gandalf being 'defeated' (if, indeed, this happens) and then rescued. The last words will be 'Sauron is returned!' or something like that.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 15 2013, 11:13am

Post #14 of 23 (532 views)
Shortcut
Why do people keep believing some stay Behind in LakeTown? [In reply to] Can't Post

We have already seen ALL 13
Plus Bilbo Climbing the Stairs
of the Statue Together!

Reminds of that thread where
someone INSISTED that Smaug
has only TWO legs,
When there is now a T-Shirt showing
4 Legs and TWO wings....

AND Tolkien's Drawings, and John Howe's drawings
AND many others,
ALL clearly show 4 legs
2 Wings!

Bomby believes his eyes..
seriously Doubt anyone of them
would want to stay in LakeTown,
When they are sooo Close to the Mountain.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 15 2013, 11:28am

Post #15 of 23 (530 views)
Shortcut
Well, believing your eyes... [In reply to] Can't Post

... means you can also see they changed Smaug's fore-legs in the EE to mere "arms" (probably attached to his wings). Wink

Also not sure where you see all dwarves climbing Erebor.

I can only spot Thorin, Dwalin, Gloin, Dori, Ori, Nori, Bombur, Bifur and Balin. And our burglar of course. Not sure about Oin.

Of course all of this is just circumstantial evidence and the sources that claimed the company will separate might be wrong... but the picture to me indicate that not all of them are there (Bofur, Fili and Kili).

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 15 2013, 11:30am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 15 2013, 11:35am

Post #16 of 23 (528 views)
Shortcut
The New Scroll shows all 13 Plus Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

climbing the Statue's Weapon.
Bomby thinks its in There,
but so many New Shots
are coming out
everyday..Not Sure,
and too tired to Research the Exact shot.

It's 4:34 AM in Colorado.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 15 2013, 11:43am

Post #17 of 23 (511 views)
Shortcut
Bomby should really go to bed then! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or are you up already?

I guess the scroll was just made like this for marketing reasons.

But we will find out soon enough :)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 15 2013, 3:18pm

Post #18 of 23 (480 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and the Dwarves sitting in the dark... [In reply to] Can't Post

...wating for Smaug to return and finish them off!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 15 2013, 4:02pm

Post #19 of 23 (458 views)
Shortcut
There is no reason to believe that [In reply to] Can't Post

It is certainly true that the company gets split up, but there is no reason why they won't reunite in Dale before they enter Erebor. It makes no sense to have the company split at that point, and it makes no sense to specifically show them all together claiming up to Erebor in official marketing material if it is not true.

I would be shocked if they are not all together in Erebor.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Na Vedui
Rohan

Nov 15 2013, 4:11pm

Post #20 of 23 (461 views)
Shortcut
I've certainly read something [In reply to] Can't Post

that suggests Kili, Fili, Oin and Bofur stay behind in Laketown for a while because of Kili's wound. Dean O'Gorman mentioned something about staying behind with Kili, and Evangeline Lilly said something about working mostly with those 4 Dwarves. Oin is the healer of the group, so that makes sense. Bofur? - well, he's a wild card; goodness knows what he's up to. So I think it's probably true, but (so far as I know), there's no indication yet of how long they stay behind, or of where they are at the point when Smaug attacks Laketown.
Does anyone know more about this, or have a link to the relevant interviews?

Wordofmask
Lorien

Nov 15 2013, 4:34pm

Post #21 of 23 (449 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

and it will be weird thing for me that showing the clearly super villian's face of the movie for 40 - 60 mins and then just let him die.

Having him died at early of TABA isn't a problem for me but plz dont make him be defeated so easily as Count Dooku. PJ should show us that Bard and people of Laketown will be fighting so hard to bring him down after lossing a hundred (maybe thousand) of people's lifes.

hobbitrunner
The Shire

Nov 15 2013, 8:54pm

Post #22 of 23 (409 views)
Shortcut
A resounding defeat... [In reply to] Can't Post

...by Smaug may be a good conclusion.
Say the dwarves have their epic battle with Smaug. They are doubtless unprepared and would almost undoubtedly suffer.

So the battle happens, Smaug believes the company to be finished, and the movie winds down with them huddled away somewhere while Smaug flies towards Laketown.
This is where the shot of the questioned sunrise/flames on the lake is shown, foreshadowing Smaug.
Cut to black.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 15 2013, 8:59pm

Post #23 of 23 (416 views)
Shortcut
Well if the "DoS' storybook is accurate (SPOILERS) [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently the storybook indicates that Smaug meets his end in The Desolation of Smaug. But whether that is the climax or if it happens in There and Back Again, we can end the second film with the company sealed in the tunnel with no where to go but down.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.