Massive SPOILER(S) for DoS
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 16 2013, 12:54am

Post #51 of 56 (317 views)
Shortcut
I am in agreement with you to a point [In reply to] Can't Post

Your favorite character is Gandalf (I think it's pretty obvious to all of us TORnsibs by now Wink)

Mine is Kili (and no-it's not "hot dwarf" syndrome- there are a LOT of things I have in common with the dwarf-both canon and movie characters, and F/K were my favorites in the book LONG before TH movies were even announced).

I can definitely understand your reservations about Dol Guldur for sure.

As for Azog, I can understand your hesitancy, and I reserve judgement on that.

But the more I hear of Tauriel, the more I get concerned....

I just hope those concerns (with both Gandalf and Tauriel) are unsubstantiated...but we have to wait another 4 weeks to find out for sure Frown

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Nov 16 2013, 12:55am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 16 2013, 4:32am

Post #52 of 56 (295 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he is .. an old, dear friend. lol. One of my eldest. Although, no mistake I dearly love Glorfindel, Galadriel, [In reply to] Can't Post

and many others besides. Even flawed Feanor, and I've a proper respect for Balrogs, though I dissaprove of the path they chose. lol

I understand about Kili, but at least I don't think they are going to badly embarass or make an ass out of him ( I hope not anyway. It is actually one of the reasons I hope Tauriel isn't cruelly dismissive of his flattery. While she should not succumb to it, neither should she be a stuck up you know what and so and so towards him, leaving him looking like a despreate idiot).

Here is to Hope all around!

In Reply To
Your favorite character is Gandalf (I think it's pretty obvious to all of us TORnsibs by now Wink)

Mine is Kili (and no-it's not "hot dwarf" syndrome- there are a LOT of things I have in common with the dwarf-both canon and movie characters, and F/K were my favorites in the book LONG before TH movies were even announced).

I can definitely understand your reservations about Dol Guldur for sure.

As for Azog, I can understand your hesitancy, and I reserve judgement on that.

But the more I hear of Tauriel, the more I get concerned....

I just hope those concerns (with both Gandalf and Tauriel) are unsubstantiated...but we have to wait another 4 weeks to find out for sure Frown

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 16 2013, 5:04am

Post #53 of 56 (302 views)
Shortcut
well, at the same time [In reply to] Can't Post

a desperate idiot could go along with Tolkien...

Dwarves only love once, and if they cannot have the one they love they will have no other.

So if Kili's infatuation (one sided) turns out to be him actually in love with her (Stockholm syndrome anyone Crazy) then desperate idiot could very well be within the spirit of Tolkien.

We all know how stubborn dwarves are Tongue

I would prefer more awkward and inexperienced Kili like we saw in AUJ EE. That wink to the elf maid (after staring at her open-mouthed like an awkward schoolboy when he first sees a hot girl), then his backpedaling afterward ending in him confusing an elf man for an elf maid (much to the amusement of the company) tells me a couple things:

1. He's never seen elf maids before, and he's a bit thunderstruck

2. He attempts to flirt, but sucks at it (implying he's very inexperienced)

3. He confuses a female with a male (granted, he's not used to men not having beards, but by that logic he would have confused her as well- because dwarf women have beards too, and it was from the back) but still-if he were more experienced with women in general, or at least had been around them for a little bit of growing up, he would be more than familiar with their physique, and be able to tell a male from a female from the back too. So he obviously hasn't been around females much at all.

4. He didn't appreciate being laughed at (or Dwalin busting him for his wink-I caught you, and all that). Granted, I know that most dwarves would hate to be laughed at/mocked, but he is clearly is more embarrassed than angry. Could it be because of his own physique not being "dwarven enough" that he was teased a bit growing up (lending support to the inexperienced trait)?

Point is, if it is one-sided, there's still a good bet he would end up making a fool of himself one way or the other...just simply by his obvious lack of experience in such "delicate" matters of the heart Wink Plus, there could be some interesting discussions if/and when Thorin finds out Wink

And for the record, I happen to appreciate Feanor too (though I find him to have been extremely conceited), and balrogs (why couldn't they have been one of the good guys??? Frown), and Gandalf, Galadriel, etc.

Btw, I don't know if you noticed, but one of the elves that rode up with Elrond didn't have a helm, had a circlet (implying he was an elvish lord), and had blond hair. I have decided to dub him Glorfindel, just like I have decided to dub the brown haired female dwarf refugee following Thorin when they just reached a mountain in the prologue (right before he is seen pounding on the anvil) to be Dis, Fili and Kili's mother Sly

It works for me- whether they are unnamed or not, I like to think of them as being some canon characters who just ended up not speaking. It makes me feel better Sly

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 16 2013, 6:53am

Post #54 of 56 (272 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Prisoner of Azkaban was one of the shortest and I still feel to this day that it features the best filmmaking of all eight movies.

Off topic, I know...

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2013, 1:57am

Post #55 of 56 (253 views)
Shortcut
I like that idea a lot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your idea for how Kili's flirting really works for me. I hope that's how it is done. I like that you are so loyal to Tolkien's "rules" for how the various races in Middle Earth were supposed to live.

I didn't notice the female dwarf or the blonde elf but I like how you named them Dis and Glorfindel. I'm going to have to watch the movie again just to look for them!Smile I like doing that kind of thing too and it makes me happy to think that maybe they were included, they just didn't talk. (Glorfindel's description in FotR was the first time I really "fell in love with" the elves and realized just how beautiful and ethereal they were supposed to be so he's always sort of held a special place in my mind.)

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 17 2013, 2:55am

Post #56 of 56 (241 views)
Shortcut
haha oops [In reply to] Can't Post

that last part was meant for Ainur_Olorin....I think I must have gotten distracted and forgotten who I was replying too Blush

Oops...

That was how it was done in AUJ extended edition in Rivendell (the wink). If the Tauriel drama is anything like that, then I will be very happy too Wink

You know (I might get some flames on here for this) but I write fan fiction for The Hobbit. I wanted something that was true to the spirit of Tolkien, and, while I do have an original character in it, I am very mindful of Tolkien's "rules" concerning his world.

There are certain parameters that make it Middle-earth, and not just some other realm with other races and pretty scenery. Those parameters are what make it distinctly Tolkien, even if the story isn't exactly portrayed as it was in the book. It's when the film makers meet those parameters that I find the movies take me instantly to Middle-earth.

Ok, Azog's alive. Well, does he meet the parameters for Tolkien's "rules"?

Yes. He is an orc who happens to not like dwarves, and is from Gundabad (which is Durin I's awakening place, and thus sacred to the Longbeards, of which this company is descended from). He was involved in the dwarf/orc wars, and had slain Thror. Whether it fit the timeline for what Tolkien wrote or not, it stands to perfect reason that Thorin would have a huge vendetta against him if he were alive, simply by that heinous act. As for Azog wanting to wipe out the line of Durin? Gundabad orc. Gundabad sacred awakening place of the eldest father of the dwarves, and Thorin's (I don't know how many) great-grandfather. And I doubt it would take much reason for a dwarf to hate/want to exterminate anyone....so that sounds like a good enough reason to me.

Is it perfectly in line with the book? No. Does that take him away from the spirit of Tolkien? I don't think so. Cool

That is why I am fine with Azog's inclusion (provided they continue to make him within the spirit of Tolkien).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.