Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Minisode 'The Night of The Doctor' (SPOILERS):
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 3:12pm

Post #1 of 31 (231 views)
Shortcut
Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Minisode 'The Night of The Doctor' (SPOILERS): Can't Post

A familiar face makes an appearance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Even as a relative newcomer to the series All I can say is ShockedSmileSmile About Time!

I don't have much to say.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 14 2013, 6:18pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 14 2013, 3:48pm

Post #2 of 31 (168 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! [In reply to] Can't Post

My goodness. Shocked

There are so many little bits and pieces of the finale/anniversary episodes emerging now what I'm a bit pressed to make sense of them. But then, ever since Moffat took over the series I've been pressed to make sense of his big picture. He's happily darting back and forth in his own mind and expecting the viewer to keep up.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 4:00pm

Post #3 of 31 (155 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't actually watched series 6 yet, so I'm desperately trying to catch up-I think I know the general direction he is going in, but I'm glad I'm a bit clueless,it would have been so easy for him to do a self congratulatory '11 doctors fight the daleks' episode but I'm glad he's doing something a little different, and I still find it hard to beleive John Hurt is in it!

It seems this short episode (with it's mentions of the 8th Doctors various companions) also canonises the Big Finish Stories as well Judging by the comments on Youtube and IMDB, fans seem very eager for a 8th doctor Prequel Series...

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 14 2013, 4:17pm

Post #4 of 31 (163 views)
Shortcut
I'm finding it even harder... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because the stories are not presented as a straight forward series that one can rent, one season after another.

There are webisodes and Christmas specials. They aren't packaged together. Some are available on DVD, some only as streaming. And season 7.2 has been available for sale (DVD) or rental (Amazon) for months but is still not available on Netflix.

I want to put ShowX, Season 4 in my Netflix queue, watch it all. Then put Season 5 in my queue and watch that next. I don't mind waiting till Season 5 becomes available, but I know that if run through each season, I will have seen all the episodes.

With Doctor Who, that just isn't the case (and I'm talking about the rebooted show, not the old one) and I have to sort out which shows should be watched in what order and then figure out how to access those shows.

So when I see reference to something I don't understand, I'm not sure if I'm not meant to understand it yet (because it's a tease) or because I missed something I should have taken care to watch.

At this point, I'm so far behind I'm kind of giving up. I don't see any indication 7.2 will ever come to Netflix so I can't really follow any news of what's happening now without either being spoiled or completely confused (as that video left me).

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Nov 14 2013, 4:17pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 14 2013, 4:49pm

Post #5 of 31 (148 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So when I see reference to something I don't understand, I'm not sure if I'm not meant to understand it yet (because it's a tease) or because I missed something I should have taken care to watch.

My husband and I have been Dr. Who fans for years and years, and have watched every episode, often more than once. But the current spate of internet-only bits, teasers, trailers, documentaries, and twisting timelines within the episodes have left us confused.

I see where the video linked above falls in the sequence of events that they're now telling us was the sequence of events (not the sequence of events that played out in the actual episodes of the series, sigh), and it's good to see the actor again after his all-too-brief time in the role twenty years ago. And I applaud it being the 50th anniversary of Dr. Who. But still, it's all getting so self-referential it's difficult for new viewers to find an entry point into the series.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 5:10pm

Post #6 of 31 (163 views)
Shortcut
I'm not really the best person to talk about that, but I do see where you are coming from. [In reply to] Can't Post

With Matt Smith's run there have been several over arching, slow buring background story arcs that have yet to be fully resolved, it's one thing giving some mysterious backstory, but to only half explain things, and expect audiences to care/remember about all the details a year or two after the fact isn't really a good idea I.M.O, sure it's more interesting than self contained repetitive adventure stories, but equally even for avid fans (which I'm not really) it can be confusing.

The Minisode above, besides being a much too short long overdue return for Paul Mcgann, links directly to the end of Season 7 , so unless you've seen that it dosen't really make much sense. In anycase Moffat has indicated that he is tying up all the story threads by Christmas, so hopefully it should make sense.

I can't speak for Netfilx, but the BBC are pretty notorious for trying to make money anyway they can-the Xmas episodes and minisodes of Dr Who are often released twice-once on their own, then again with the box set it's just being greedy.

Sorry I can' be more help, I'm still finding my way with the series myself!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 14 2013, 5:53pm

Post #7 of 31 (153 views)
Shortcut
It's amazing. I was gobsmacked. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's another mini-episode planned as well, "Day of the Doctor".

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 6:01pm

Post #8 of 31 (147 views)
Shortcut
I'll keep on eye out...maybe it could feature another Doctor Cameo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Davidson has been quite smarmy about the fact he has a 50th aniversay script (granted he's David Tennant's father in law) , but I really want to see Eccleston again.

On another totally unrelated note, The Talking Purse is mentioned in the AUJ commentary turns out Boyens is a fan as well Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 14 2013, 6:12pm

Post #9 of 31 (148 views)
Shortcut
Speculation on my part ... but spoilers in this post [In reply to] Can't Post

Since "Night of the Doctor" featured the regeneration of McGann the day before the end of the Time War, I'm guessing "Day of the Doctor" will see the regenetation of Hurt (War Doctor) into Eccleston. I cannot wait!

I haven't watched all the appendices stuff yet. Why did she not insist on including it? Wink

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 14 2013, 6:27pm

Post #10 of 31 (149 views)
Shortcut
Well, that was odd. [In reply to] Can't Post

Did anyone else think the structure and dialogue were clunky?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 6:40pm

Post #11 of 31 (135 views)
Shortcut
Well essentially the purse wasn't dramatic enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

But that is clearly code for 'It was such a great moment in the book we couldn't do justice to it so left it alone out of respect'.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 14 2013, 6:49pm

Post #12 of 31 (140 views)
Shortcut
"sure it's more interesting than self contained repetitive adventure stories" [In reply to] Can't Post

It's kind of not, for me. I was Doctor Who obsessed during the Tom Baker days. I knew it was low budget, oriented to younger audiences (that's why the Doctor never hooked up with companions... young enough boys think kissing is yucky), and had a touch of the old matinee serial about it.

But I loved it.

I do love a lot about the new Doctor Who but two things I don't love is an over reliance of these huge-o, epic stories (the end of the world and/or universe just gets old after awhile) and these sly references to some story that I'm supposed to keep track off over time.

So I don't find this mysterious backstory stuff 'more interesting'. Like Lily, it's kind of snuffing my long term love of the Doctor. And I'm sorry I ever wished for the Doctor to hook up with a companion.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2013, 6:52pm

Post #13 of 31 (137 views)
Shortcut
completely agree! Clunky to the extreme.... and that's how I found 'The Name of the Doctor" episode too... almost total lack of drama, maybe I'm too critical [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be also that I have not watched any Matt Smith stuff for at least over a year or more ( I skipped nearly all of series 7, to take me straight to 'The Name of the Doctor' (shock horror Tongue))
But anyway, I had been gradually watching all the eps from Ecclestone -> Tenant series 4 with Donna......... and then I finally decided to watch the latest one (The Name of).

I was completely shocked at the contrast.

It is so poor (IMO of course) in comparison to the Ecclestone/Tenant series(es) Unsure

Script awful, cinematography bizarre, the sets leaving something to be desired....

....Seeing McGann now though was quite cool....

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2013, 6:54pm

Post #14 of 31 (142 views)
Shortcut
also, 2 things: (SPOILERS) [In reply to] Can't Post

What is it with 'Khan'!?!? See it in lots of sci-fi!!.
Secondly: Holy Grail-occultish style setting o.O o.O...... bizarre

Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 14 2013, 7:02pm

Post #15 of 31 (135 views)
Shortcut
I think ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was deliberately filmed so that it seemed like it was from the 1990's (i.e. the painted set, slightly poor CGI, odd looking horizon etc). The Sisterhood of Khan originally appeared (or were mentioned) in a 1970's episode (Brain of Morbius) also set on Khan, so they're just re-using a previous place the Doctor has been to in the past.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 7:19pm

Post #16 of 31 (131 views)
Shortcut
True-and Mcgann is counted as a 'Classic Series' Doctor in the marketing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he does a good job in nailing the modern and classic Who in his costume and mannerisms.

Personally I think both Russel Davies and Moffat's seasons have flaws-the former being repetitive, too obvius at times and frankly the whole Rose stuff ended up like a bad episode of Eastenders (And The End of Time and the Titanic episode were absolutely awful), the latter being too complicated at times (especially for 45 minute episodes) to self indulgent and too focused on mystery and plotlines instead of fun.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it though.

I've actually just started watching Classic Who from the beginning and in some ways prefer it.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 7:30pm

Post #17 of 31 (140 views)
Shortcut
Fair Enough [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll agree to disagree

I have literally only just started watching the Classic Series (in some ways I already prefer it) so I can't really speak for its differences, but I guess if you go to the effort of bringing back a show after 16 years you might as well tweak it to see if it can find a new audience-Doctor Who got cancelled for a reason, and rightly and wrongly its still successful by following a different formula, I don't know whether I would want a show to do the same old stuff in its 50th year.

Being a rather miserable sort by nature, the whole lovey dovey assistant stuff is lost on me as well, though for different reasons.

*Shrugs*

As I said earlier I'm not really the best placed to talk about this.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 14 2013, 7:52pm

Post #18 of 31 (133 views)
Shortcut
I was as well [In reply to] Can't Post

That was actually an awesome mini-episode right there.

Plus I love Paul McGann so any more of him I can get . . .

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

bborchar
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 8:41pm

Post #19 of 31 (126 views)
Shortcut
Said it in another thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was absolutely shocked when I heard his voice. I was soooooo hoping he would be in it, but I hadn't dared to really believe. But OMG, it was great. Absolutely perfect. Epic death, tragic consequences, telling what the Doctor had been doing in the Time War, the Sisterhood of Karn...AMAZING.

I absolutely can't wait for the special now :)

"I've been running all my lives, through time and space. Every second of every minute of every day for over 900 years, I fought for peace in a universe at war. Now the time has come to face the choices I've made in the name of the Doctor. Our future depends on one single moment of one impossible day. The day I've been running from all my life: The Day of the Doctor."

bborchar
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 8:42pm

Post #20 of 31 (117 views)
Shortcut
Where does it say it's the night before he ends the Time War? [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the distinct impression (by John Hurt's young face) that he fights for a long time after that.

"I've been running all my lives, through time and space. Every second of every minute of every day for over 900 years, I fought for peace in a universe at war. Now the time has come to face the choices I've made in the name of the Doctor. Our future depends on one single moment of one impossible day. The day I've been running from all my life: The Day of the Doctor."

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 14 2013, 9:59pm

Post #21 of 31 (113 views)
Shortcut
It was just speculation ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But you are right, we saw a young War Doctor, not the same old War Doctor in the Doctor's time stream. Which means he fought for a long time.

Or we just say wibbly-wobbly. Wink

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 14 2013, 10:10pm

Post #22 of 31 (114 views)
Shortcut
Again, I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I do love a lot about the new Doctor Who but two things I don't love is an over reliance of these huge-o, epic stories (the end of the world and/or universe just gets old after awhile)

I think it's ironic that the best Moffat episodes, "The Girl in the Fireplace" and "Blink", are much smaller and more intimate.

bborchar
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 11:50pm

Post #23 of 31 (115 views)
Shortcut
Well, I've learned... [In reply to] Can't Post

NEVER to rule anything out in Doctor Who ;)

Guess this means that Smith is the 13th Doctor for sure, though. Wonder how they will resolve that at Christmas?

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2013, 1:06pm

Post #24 of 31 (90 views)
Shortcut
definitely with you on those two episodes being his best, and tbh... [In reply to] Can't Post

...two of the best (top ten) out of all the series IMO

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 15 2013, 3:58pm

Post #25 of 31 (83 views)
Shortcut
that's one of my problems with Moffat [In reply to] Can't Post

saving the world/universe every other episode . . . after a while, it's hard to care. Just like bringing back old enemies makes them NOT SCARY. I was terrified of the Weeping Angels in "Blink" but now . . . yawn. And I can't even watch an episode with Daleks any more.

Also, do you notice how in love he is with the TARDIS? I mean all the episodes that are ABOUT the TARDIS. Again, too many!

It's like those sheets that I loved so much I kept putting them back on the bed instead of swapping them out with others - they got all pilly in no time & now I can't sleep on them. Or an overuse injury.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Nov 15 2013, 3:59pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.