Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Naked bathing.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

burgahobbit
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 2:05pm

Post #26 of 38 (237 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that clarification Avandel, the scene makes much more sense to me now. (Old Bilbo could have done a little better at explaining. Tongue)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2013, 2:48pm

Post #27 of 38 (230 views)
Shortcut
Yep... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's PJ's sense of humor for you.

Old Toby
Gondor

Nov 14 2013, 3:06pm

Post #28 of 38 (259 views)
Shortcut
While I was surprised to see this bathing scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't put off by it in any way (except I thought it looked a bit like the actors wearing their 'fat' suits, but maybe it was all CGI). And I loved Bofur's song and antics on the table. I thought everything was very consistant with the dwarves' behavior and personalities from earlier on. They're a merry bunch, prone to food fights and spontaneous singing!

I, too, was perplexed by the scene with the jewel box and Thranduil until one poster explained what was happening there as it was written in the book, so now it makes sense.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2013, 3:38pm

Post #29 of 38 (213 views)
Shortcut
Good point// [In reply to] Can't Post

Na Vedui
Rohan

Nov 14 2013, 4:37pm

Post #30 of 38 (218 views)
Shortcut
Poor Lindir! [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond will take it all in his stride; he's seen much worse in his long and adventurous life, no doubt, and clearly has a sense of humour. But I don't think Lindir does - and he's the one having to deal with the wine shortages and the damage and the mess. He's already looking pretty sour in the background when Elrond is identifying Orcrist and Glamdring, let alone later on.

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 4:42pm

Post #31 of 38 (213 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately, Gimli was ill-mannered and uncouth, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

So that hasn't changed. Frown

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 4:44pm

Post #32 of 38 (208 views)
Shortcut
Elrond's fault for walking in his own public garden? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you're being tongue in cheek, but I still don't like the scene.

He may have suggested they bathe there, but I don't imagine he meant turn it into a nudie water park.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2013, 2:07am

Post #33 of 38 (145 views)
Shortcut
Plus, wouldn't dwarves be [In reply to] Can't Post

be hairy all over?

imin
Valinor

Nov 16 2013, 12:26am

Post #34 of 38 (110 views)
Shortcut
Yes this is how i see it [In reply to] Can't Post

As usual you have captured my thoughts Smile

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Cillendor
Lorien

Nov 16 2013, 8:10pm

Post #35 of 38 (94 views)
Shortcut
The food-throwing will be more significant in DOS. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the latest video showing off Beorn's house, one of the Dwarves talks about how they'd had a food fight at Bilbo's house and a food fight at Elrond's table, but they don't have one in Beorn's home. He said that is significant to the tone of that scene.

I think once DOS is out, the food fights in Bag End and Rivendell will seem more appropriate.

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Nov 17 2013, 2:40pm

Post #36 of 38 (73 views)
Shortcut
As PJ said in the documentaries... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the latest video showing off Beorn's house, one of the Dwarves talks about how they'd had a food fight at Bilbo's house and a food fight at Elrond's table, but they don't have one in Beorn's home. He said that is significant to the tone of that scene.

I think once DOS is out, the food fights in Bag End and Rivendell will seem more appropriate.

... the food fight and bathing bits in Rivendell were largely seen as means for the Dwarves to thumb their noses at the Elves, of whom, of course, they're not very fond anyway.

leniel Tindome
Bree

Nov 19 2013, 1:11am

Post #37 of 38 (53 views)
Shortcut
dwarves food fight and bathing seems like oldschool"punk" style or.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...children playing at an amusement park. Its one thing, that they try to make fun of the elves but I see also some relief, relaxing and enchanting emotion you may feel, if you enter a magic elven realm or "homely" sunny summerholidayhouse. (wellness and amusement center ) Laugh
From this point of view this scenes make much sense. Also its a very good contrast to the "lonely wanderer" Bilbo, who experiences the magic realm in a complete different and more appreciated way.

The only annoying scene is Kili flirting with elves...why is no one discussing this or did I miss the thread about that?

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Nov 19 2013, 5:01am

Post #38 of 38 (44 views)
Shortcut
there has [In reply to] Can't Post

been some discussion about it, but feel free to start a new thread on the front page, as those discussions are now a few pages back (and I have 50 posts viewable for each page, which is the maximum Smile)

I personally found it interesting, simply because I don't think he was being Casanova at all. He seems intrigued, staring at her with his mouth hanging open like an awkward nerdy schoolboy when the beautiful prom queen enters the classroom.

And he sucks at flirting, and then tries to backpedal out of it, only to mistake a man for a woman (I know the elves look similar, but didn't he at least recognize the difference in body physique, even from the back?)

That right there tells me Kili has not been around women much (except his mother, obviously), and that he's awkward at best with them. I thought it illustrated his naivety, youth, and his open-mindedness. Even Frodo was awestruck a bit when he first met Arwen, both in the book and the film. Granted, this isn't an elf in the same class as Arwen (who resembled her great-grandmother, Luthien, who was said to be the most beautiful elf maid to ever walk in Middle-earth), but to a very young man on his first adventure, and who likely with his education and weapons training didn't leave a lot of time for contact with those of the opposite gender, she was probably a bit exotic....

Besides, who knows how much wine he drank at that point (since most of the dwarves likely preferred that over the leafy greens offered to them, and probably had quite a lot of it by that point Tongue) He could well have been slightly tipsy....

I thought it was a good character moment (even though I can't stand the idea of a dwarf/elf romance in TH at all, especially with a dwarf prisoner and elf captain of the guard, unless they give a darn good reason for the obvious Stockholm Syndrome).

But start a new thread on it if you want more discussion Smile I don't think there are any present ones about it on the front page if I recall correctly.

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.